What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

adamkungl

Immortal
What happens if (lol, when) the Libs get the arse in March?

I'd assume the SFS will go ahead because it will be demolished and the build contracts in place.
And ANZ will stay as is because Labor will use it for cheap political points.
And the NRL will take the Grand Final out to tender.

Not the worst result from my view, Sydney gets the world class stadium the city deserves, the west gets Parra, and hopefully club sides abandon the white elephant at homebush in droves.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

I'd assume the SFS will go ahead because it will be demolished and the build contracts in place.

Not the worst result from my view, Sydney gets the world class stadium the city deserves, the west gets Parra, and hopefully club sides abandon the white elephant at homebush in droves.
Depends how all these injunctions and whatnot on the demolition go I think. If they can push demolition out until after the election the clowns may just try to save the existing stadium.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Depends how all these injunctions and whatnot on the demolition go I think. If they can push demolition out until after the election the clowns may just try to save the existing stadium.
bit late for that seeing they have already started

Quicksilver

Bench
According to the Government the SFS is that dilapidated that it should come down of it's own accord in the next decent southerly buster.

Not a guarantee the libs will lose, polls have it 50/50. Big campaign coming up focusing on Eddie Obeid and others as I understand it.

There’s no guarantee the SFS will go ahead as planned, they could pivot to a reduced capacity stadium or even a renovation of the current ground, depending on how far along demolition is. The govt has stated there’s no financial penalties if the stadium doesn’t go ahead, that gives labor an easy out.

adamkungl

Immortal
Not a guarantee the libs will lose, polls have it 50/50. Big campaign coming up focusing on Eddie Obeid and others as I understand it.

I look forward to another positive Aussie political campaign where no party will state what their policies actually are but will spend millions on ads demonising their opponents.
It'll be a joyous couple of months.

Incidental removal of stuff yes - structural demolition hasn't happened yet as far as I'm aware?

Major demolition works are scheduled for the end of February, the roof is being removed first. Depending on how long that takes, you could still move to a renovated stadium. The roof is one of the things that would go anyway in a renovation.

I look forward to another positive Aussie political campaign where no party will state what their policies actually are but will spend millions on ads demonising their opponents.
It'll be a joyous couple of months.

I know what you mean, but negative stuff works tbh.

I do expect the current govt to push their transport infrastructure agenda quite heavily though.

Timmah

Staff member
Major demolition works are scheduled for the end of February, the roof is being removed first. Depending on how long that takes, you could still move to a renovated stadium. The roof is one of the things that would go anyway in a renovation.
Which loops back around to the point I'm making that if the injunctions community groups etc are currently having heard are upheld, we may well see no major demolition works until after the election. Time will tell.

Which loops back around to the point I'm making that if the injunctions community groups etc are currently having heard are upheld, we may well see no major demolition works until after the election. Time will tell.

For sure, my understanding is they’ve been granted an expoditied hearing. So we may know sooner rather than later anyway.

If Labor win govt I still think we’ll see something happen on Allianz stadium, just a question of how much money.

T-Boon

Coach
I think the best thing for the NRL is for everything to be put off until after the election. That way if labor get in the whole stadium plan gets put to bed in the short term.
Therefore, SFS stays as is which is a pretty excellent venue in need of some minor upgrades and the plan to put make up on the ANZ pig gets thrown out as well. NRL puts the GF out to bid and allows NSW government to bid but only considers the bid if it is way more than Brisbane. Give Brisbane a few years worth of the GF (but part of the deal is a second Brisbane deal lets see the Broncos get in the way of that when it will cost a Brisbane GF).
Then when the Libs get back in in NSW start again offer the GF to NSW for 20 years in exchange for a 70k rectangular stadium at Homebush. The libs get back in on being the party that will bring back the NRL GF and what ever else people care about.

Cactus

Juniors
Then when the Libs get back in in NSW start again offer the GF to NSW for 20 years in exchange for a 70k rectangular stadium at Homebush. The libs get back in on being the party that will bring back the NRL GF and what ever else people care about.

Only problem with that theory is we would all have to put up with fitzsh!tforbrains incessant whining for a second time.

beave

Coach
I think the best thing for the NRL is for everything to be put off until after the election. That way if labor get in the whole stadium plan gets put to bed in the short term.
Therefore, SFS stays as is which is a pretty excellent venue in need of some minor upgrades and the plan to put make up on the ANZ pig gets thrown out as well. NRL puts the GF out to bid and allows NSW government to bid but only considers the bid if it is way more than Brisbane. Give Brisbane a few years worth of the GF (but part of the deal is a second Brisbane deal lets see the Broncos get in the way of that when it will cost a Brisbane GF).

SFS only needs minor upgrades?? lol.

Allianz genuinely needs more than minor upgrades, it’s major work what needs to happen there.

Timmah

Staff member
I figure this has become a defacto 'stadium discussion' thread in general... so

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5892768/deadly-cladding-found-on-hunter-stadium/?cs=7573

FLAMMABLE cladding similar to what fuelled London’s Grenfell Tower inferno has been found on Hunter Stadium’s western grandstand.

It’s understood the combustible cladding will be stripped from the stadium, the home of the Newcastle Knights and Jets, to reduce the risk of a potential disaster.

An audit found more than 1000 buildings across NSW have the dangerous cladding.

Venues NSW CEO Paul Doorn said every effort had been made to ensure the safety of people using Hunter Stadium.

When asked by the Herald in March last year if flammable cladding had been detected at the stadium, a spokeswoman for Venues NSW said “if any risks” were identified the organisation would “act appropriately”.

“Venues NSW is working with relevant government agencies who are conducting a state-wide review of buildings with cladding to ensure they are safe,” the spokeswoman said at the time.

The Herald reported in March last year that flammable cladding had been found on the John Hunter Hospital.

A $10 million project to replace the cladding on the Royal Newcastle Centre and the Clinical Skills Training Centre was undertaken.

Last Week

Bench
If that happens they can do what they like. But there's an awful lot of baseball bats waiting for them. They've gone from $1.40 to $2.30 since Daley became Labor leader.

Don't know how that happened. The guy hasn't actually expressed any real policies.

I'd suggest that the state libs are benefiting from the bad smell around the federal Libs.

TheFrog

Coach
Don't know how that happened. The guy hasn't actually expressed any real policies.

I'd suggest that the state libs are benefiting from the bad smell around the federal Libs.
They've got plenty of bad smell of their own. Oppositions don't win elections, Governments lose them.
According to the Government the SFS is that dilapidated that it should come down of it's own accord in the next decent southerly buster.

And they've contracted the same company that built it 30 years ago to build a new one.

Last edited: