What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

ironhorse

Juniors
Not many national stadiums built under 80k. The new Wembley is 90k.
If you look to the Worlds *best* football stadia - anfield, Amsterdam arena, juventus, celtic park etc these are all 50-60 ish k arenas. World famous, amazing atmosphere, look sensational on tv and tourist destinations in their own right. My point is thats how you make a football stadium perfect for NRL - and Sydney crowds .Even the superbowl is often a 70-80k. Football isnt supposed to viewed or played on cricket grounds.I feel the narrative gets skewed in this Country. Lower cap might also makes tix harder to get therefore encouraging more attendance .

Perth Red

Post Whore
And it has a terrible rake.

The capacity should be appropriate for the city the stadium is in, the reality is Sydneysiders just aren’t huge sports goers. 70k is fine.

I was on about 20m line at Wembley and view was awesome. Maybe not so great in the gods but what big stadium is? Yeh forgot we were talking about Sydney, 70k is fine lol.

LineBall

Juniors
If you look to the Worlds *best* football stadia - anfield, Amsterdam arena, juventus, celtic park etc these are all 50-60 ish k arenas. World famous, amazing atmosphere, look sensational on tv and tourist destinations in their own right. My point is thats how you make a football stadium perfect for NRL - and Sydney crowds .Even the superbowl is often a 70-80k. Football isnt supposed to viewed or played on cricket grounds.I feel the narrative gets skewed in this Country. Lower cap might also makes tix harder to get therefore encouraging more attendance .

IMO this is mostly from Victorians pushing the narrative that Melbourne and the MCG are the sporting capital of the country, and as such, if you don't have nearly a 100k capacity stadium, you are inferior.

60 - 70k capacity for our biggest rectangular stadiums would be ample.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I'm a bit meh on the design theyre proposing. It doesnt look too different, obviously reduced capacity which is fine, but I saw another design maybe last year or the year before that looked similar to the Tottenham stadium and I thought that looked pretty good. The roof was flat and the tiers on each end were at the same level.

Here’s a stadium designer, talking about how the rake is too big at Wembley. (For clarity, when he says too big he means it goes back too far to produce a good atmosphere)

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22110898

4ABE1FC5-4282-438A-BCF7-98B970507428.jpeg

But I’m sure you know better...

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
From comments on here the main reasons people don’t like anz for club games are nothing to do afterwards in the area and crap atmosphere in a 3/4 empty stadium. I don’t see this as offering solutions to either of those issues?

The distance from the field is a big issue, which also contributes to poor atmosphere.
With the lower bowl brought in tight, lower capacity and the roofing extended the atmosphere will be improved even for lower draw games. Better experience = more regular attendees = improved crowds.

The Olympic Park precinct seems to be on the improve, as it becomes a more residential area (never mind the minor issue of buildings falling over) more restaurants and bars are opening and will continue to.

And there are future plans to build a direct train line through.
The Olympic Park experience should improve significantly over the next decade.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Even if it didn’t benefit Penrith I’d be all for scrapping the current ANZ plans.

You only have one chance to get this shit right and this is looking like a disaster. This is our national stadium and should be one of the best stadiums in the world. Bring back the $1.4bn proposal.

siv

First Grade
ANZ away take is ok today and will get 10% better with reconfig

Behind in goal area will be 200% better rake
And upper deck even better

Perth Red

Post Whore
@Perth Red

Here’s another article talking about how the low seating gradient contributes to a poor atmosphere
View attachment 33334

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/feb/25/west-ham-tottenham-wembley-home-london-stadium

You’ve give a couple of people’s opinions, who also put forward other reasons for poor atmosphere lol. You said it ranked as one of the worse modern stadiums, in fact it consistently ranks in the top ten lists and usually in the top three. Having been I can say first hand that it is a pretty amazing stadium and I didn’t feel it suffered hugely from the rake.

Given only around half the anz seats are going to be better it’s hard to get excited by $800mill being spent to sort out half the stadium, significantly dropping the capacity in the process. Australia and the game deserves a state of the art national stadium, not this half arsed effort. Ironically despite having the most spent on it it will only be Sydneys third best stadium.

You’ve give a couple of people’s opinions, who also put forward other reasons for poor atmosphere lol. You said it ranked as one of the worse modern stadiums, in fact it consistently ranks in the top ten lists and usually in the top three. Having been I can say first hand that it is a pretty amazing stadium and I didn’t feel it suffered hugely from the rake.

Given only around half the anz seats are going to be better it’s hard to get excited by $800mill being spent to sort out half the stadium, significantly dropping the capacity in the process. Australia and the game deserves a state of the art national stadium, not this half arsed effort. Ironically despite having the most spent on it it will only be Sydneys third best stadium.

Dude, one of the people I quoted was a stadium designer. An actual expert.

He clearly says exactly what I did. The bigger you make the stadium the more compromises need to be made. Which is the reason I’m glad they made ANZ 70,000.

Here’s Wembley on a top ten worst list

https://talksport.com/football/1502...ue-grounds-barcas-home-and-more-161028215083/

Latest posts