What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

bazza

Immortal
From comments on here the main reasons people don’t like anz for club games are nothing to do afterwards in the area and crap atmosphere in a 3/4 empty stadium. I don’t see this as offering solutions to either of those issues?
The other major for the precinct is a stop on a new metro line with direct links to Parramatta and the CBD - and redevelopment of the area with more housing and businesses

Quicksilver

Bench
From comments on here the main reasons people don’t like anz for club games are nothing to do afterwards in the area and crap atmosphere in a 3/4 empty stadium. I don’t see this as offering solutions to either of those issues?

It doesn't.

Give this stadium to the AFL/cricket and build a big stadium at the SFS.

I didn't want the SFS knocked down but now that it is, they may as well just build the real A Stadium there.

There are more things opening in the area. A new pub has just opened and the metro train line will bring even more development to the area.

Yep, wait for SFS completion and host GFs there instead of SCG while ANZ gets redone

I’d prefer this option if we could get a 100% guarantee from Labor they’ll back it, but that seems unlikely.

You run the risk of getting nothing for 10-15 years. Tough call.

Edit: You could start the refurbishment in October 2022, that would be before the next election which means labor couldn’t block it.

If they got a firm guarantee, such as the money being quarantined then it could be worth it.

Last edited:
I’d prefer this option if we could get a 100% guarantee from Labor they’ll back it, but that seems unlikely.

You run the risk of getting nothing for 10-15 years. Tough call.

When the Libs announced that they were going to rebuild Allianz before ANZ, I assumed that the plan all along was that new SFS would host the GF. Made sense, I thought.

I wonder what Labor’s post election loss analysis is telling them now about stadia policy.

taipan

Referee
Ayres is an AFL fan and played the game in Western Sydney.The irony .Shepherd chairman of GWS and on the SCG Board didn't want ANZ reconfigured.Wonder why?
I smell an extremely odious rat in the kitchen.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
NSW minister’s bid for football stadium shift

NSW Tourism and Investment Minister Stuart Ayres has been lobbying ministerial colleagues to ditch the government’s $810m plan to revamp Sydney’s ANZ Stadium — the plan he and Premier Gladys Berejiklian took to the March state election — in favour of building a new stadium in his seat of Penrith.

The Australian has established from several sources that Mr Ayres, who was taken out of the sport portfolio by Ms Berejiklian after the March state election, has lobbied fellow ministers and NRL figures in a bid to attempt to kill the proposed $810m redevelopment.

Mr Ayres, who has always been close to the trustees on the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust, including 2GB broadcaster Alan Jones, helped shepherd through the ongoing, controversial $729m knockdown and rebuild of Sydney Football Stadium in Sydney’s east. Sydney Football Stadium is managed by the SCG Trust.

The NRL has threatened to take the grand final out of Sydney if ANZ Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park at Homebush is not rebuilt as a rectangular stadium, as the government plans.

Despite Mr Ayres’ efforts The Australian understands current Sports Minister John Sidoti, who has recently stood aside pending an ICAC investigation, got the business case for the ANZ rebuild through the government’s expenditure review committee.

Mr Ayres, who has long spoken about the need for a new outer western Sydney stadium, declined to comment yesterday.

Several sources have told The Australian Mr Ayres, who is the member for Penrith, a seat he won by 1100 votes, has been lobbying to divert the ANZ funds to Penrith. The government, as part of a $2bn stadium spending program, has spent $360m building the new Bankwest stadium at Parramatta, which has regularly been filled this year. Acting Sports Minister Geoff Lee said: “There has been no change to the government’s stadium policy.”

The Australian revealed yesterday Mr Ayres granted a $350,000 low-interest loan to his local hockey association two weeks out from the caretaker period at the March election — and wrote to his successor in June asking him to write off the loan.

The loan, made in the final days of Mr Ayres’s tenure as the state’s sports minister, followed a $600,000 grant Mr Ayres made to the same Nepean Hockey Association two years earlier.

The Australian also revealed there were warnings from the state’s bureaucracy about a “reputational risk” to the government caused by a $12m grant the Penrith Panthers Leagues Club received for a community and sports centre while Mr Ayres was sports minister.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...t/news-story/31111d317c9a6a4dcbbca268b87e62fc
I’m erect

ironhorse

Juniors
Reducing capacity is fine - many of the best proper football grounds are 50-70k to create atmosphere. This silly idea of highest crowd number is just a dopey pissing contest... Melbourne like to play that card but fail to acknowledge that all proper football codes around the World (rugby, league, soccer, nfl, et al) are played in football rectangles not on bloody cricket ovals.

Rooster8

Juniors
I agree with the new capacity. This makes games which would usually attract 55-60K+ look much better now, and the honeymoon phrase will probably last alot long than Bankwest due to SOO and GF"s. Let's hope the Metro expands to Olympic Park/Parramatta soon and we'll have 5 / 10 Melbourne infrastructure stars.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reducing capacity is fine - many of the best proper football grounds are 50-70k to create atmosphere. This silly idea of highest crowd number is just a dopey pissing contest... Melbourne like to play that card but fail to acknowledge that all proper football codes around the World (rugby, league, soccer, nfl, et al) are played in football rectangles not on bloody cricket ovals.

Not many national stadiums built under 80k. The new Wembley is 90k.

Latest posts