What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Saint Doc

Coach
FFS Barr you lemon.

Exhibition Park is no different to the current site. 10min drive from the city, absolutely nothing around it. You’d be better off just rebuilding GIO Stadium in its current location than opting for Exhibition Park. What a joke.

Is the redeveloped ANZ really going to be "premium" though?
From the plans I've seen so far it just looks like lipstick on a behemoth.

How is 50,000 improved seats only lipstick?

There’s a middle ground between lipstick on a pig and an amazing upgrade. It’s okay to use that middle ground.

At minimum it’s a very solid upgrade, I’d give it a 7/10.

taipan

Referee
so have I, it was perfectly fine. 3 to 4 days a year is all the nrl should be using it for. It’s sht for club games and always will be, lipstick ona pig springs to mind. re WSS, bulldogs, eels and some tigers games.
allianz or whatever it will be called roosters, Souths and some St’s games.

I believe I've attended a sh*tload more times than you have .I was there when the first double header was played on the new ground with 100k plus.And it was like watching a mob of bull ants from afar.

That's all that should be using it under it's current configuration more like it.."WAS" is the operative word, it's not what fans want now.The old SFS was perfectly fine, in the end it needed up dating at least , rather than a knock down.

How the hell would you know it's going to be sh*t ,once the new rebuild is complete?Lipstick on. a pig is it?How many times have you been there when it's been p*ssing down ?People don't travel now to ANZ even allowing for Sydney transport debacles, because it is an ordinary uninviting stadium for rectangular sports, including soccer.

When the Olympics was over, it was supposed to revert to rectangular, thanks to your AFL buddies they paid a few million to ensure it remained as is ,so they could play big games there and finals.

Ideally the stadium should have been brand new, and the SFS have the upgrade.SFS provided SFA cover also.but at least it was rectangular.The Govt or more likely the then Sports Minister(Ayres) stuffed up and reallocated resources.Guess what he played AFL in his local district and is a mate of Shepherd on the SCG board and the GWS Chairman.Brilliant coincidence in my book.
The AFL have had many hundreds of millions spent on Blacktown.Spotless and the SCG.How about the 3 rectangular codes which make us the overwhelming majority of sports' fans in Sydney get a decent slice of the action.

Again you have NFI idea of the concerns of NRL club fans who live within reasonable proximity or deal with transport issues.Yeah just have them at the new SFS or WSS.That's fine if we had such wonderful direct fast transport system.

The new SFS is going to have Roosters, ANZAC day, Waratahs,and Sydney FC playing there.It's hardly going to be under-utilised.

Yeah it's perfectly fine for some one who does a FIFO on a rare occasion from a long distance destination.
Keep up the support for AFL in this city, because your commentary is just that.They would benefit more than any other code, yet you can't see it.
It's not just for rugby league usage.The State Govt would know this.
One more time Sydney is not Melbourne. Geographically, geopolitically ,and transport wise.Sydney is not Perth,nor Adelaide.

Last edited:

magpie_man

Juniors
How is 50,000 improved seats only lipstick?

There’s a middle ground between lipstick on a pig and an amazing upgrade. It’s okay to use that middle ground.

At minimum it’s a very solid upgrade, I’d give it a 7/10.

I guess I'm just being puritanical; if so much money is already going to be spent to get it to a 7/10, why not spend a bit more and shoot for a 9-10/10?
Sydney has a long history of doing it half-arsed when it comes to infrastructure.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I believe I've attended a sh*tload more times than you have .I was there when the first double header was played on the new ground with 100k plus.And it was like watching a mob of bull ants from afar.

That's all that should be using it under it's current configuration more like it.."WAS" is the operative word, it's not what fans want now.The old SFS was perfectly fine, in the end it needed up dating at least , rather than a knock down.

How the hell would you know it's going to be sh*t ,once the new rebuild is complete?Lipstick on. a pig is it?How many times have you been there when it's been p*ssing down ?People don't travel now to ANZ even allowing for Sydney transport debacles, because it is an ordinary uninviting stadium for rectangular sports, including soccer.

When the Olympics was over, it was supposed to revert to rectangular, thanks to your AFL buddies they paid a few million to ensure it remained as is ,so they could play big games there and finals.

Ideally the stadium should have been brand new, and the SFS have the upgrade.SFS provided SFA cover also.but at least it was rectangular.The Govt or more likely the then Sports Minister(Ayres) stuffed up and reallocated resources.Guess what he played AFL in his local district and is a mate of Shepherd on the SCG board and the GWS Chairman.Brilliant coincidence in my book.
The AFL have had many hundreds of millions spent on Blacktown.Spotless and the SCG.How about the 3 rectangular codes which make us the overwhelming majority of sports' fans in Sydney get a decent slice of the action.

Again you have NFI idea of the concerns of NRL club fans who live within reasonable proximity or deal with transport issues.Yeah just have them at the new SFS or WSS.That's fine if we had such wonderful direct fast transport system.

The new SFS is going to have Roosters, ANZAC day, Waratahs,and Sydney FC playing there.It's hardly going to be under-utilised.

Yeah it's perfectly fine for some one who does a FIFO on a rare occasion from a long distance destination.
Keep up the support for AFL in this city, because your commentary is just that.They would benefit more than any other code, yet you can't see it.
It's not just for rugby league usage.The State Govt would know this.
One more time Sydney is not Melbourne. Geographically, geopolitically ,and transport wise.Sydney is not Perth,nor Adelaide.

nice rant lol. Yeh I’ve been there in the rain, ironically sharks v Souths with 8k there, one of the worse sporting occasions I’ve been to, and I’ve been to a lot!
Less than 25k in a 70k Stadium will be sht, doesn’t matter how steep the seats are and as most Sydney games draw under 15k I can say with some confidence clubs continuing to play at anz will be short changing their fans.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just being puritanical; if so much money is already going to be spent to get it to a 7/10, why not spend a bit more and shoot for a 9-10/10?
Sydney has a long history of doing it half-arsed when it comes to infrastructure.

I agree, unfortunately the politics of it got away from the proponents.

mongoose

Coach
FFS Barr you lemon.

Exhibition Park is no different to the current site. 10min drive from the city, absolutely nothing around it. You’d be better off just rebuilding GIO Stadium in its current location than opting for Exhibition Park. What a joke.

surely the proposal in Civic is going to be better for the city as it will bring more tourists from interstate plus more business to bars and restaurants in Civic.

adamkungl

Immortal
I’ve sat in the nosebleeds at the Carolina Panthers stadium and the view there shits all over the equivalent at ANZ mate. It’s a 75k stadium as well so not a small joint.

This isn’t the nosebleeds I speak of but this is nearly 2/3 the way up on the top level of the stadium. Again, the equivalent view at ANZ is miles away from the action compared to this.

3-D33-EE17-2-CD0-4-BD8-805-B-5656-B5-D90763.jpg

* my god it’s hard to find a good free pic
hosting site these days

View from Level 6 at ANZ honestly doesnt seem that much different to your photo

anz.jpg

Burns

First Grade
surely the proposal in Civic is going to be better for the city as it will bring more tourists from interstate plus more business to bars and restaurants in Civic.
The three codes have come out this morning supporting Civic over EPIC, but expressing concern on how the roof may ‘cook’ the grass in Summer months.

adamkungl

Immortal
how far up level 6 were you mate? I’ve sat 3/4 the way up level 6 a few times and the view was pathetic, may as well have stayed at home.

Halfway maybe?
But you said yourself you weren't right up top in your pics either.
I've sat up the top top of ANZ and yeah it's pretty shitty, but I'm skeptical this wouldn't be the case in your pic too.

taipan

Referee
nice rant lol. Yeh I’ve been there in the rain, ironically sharks v Souths with 8k there, one of the worse spotting occasions I’ve been to, and I’ve been to a lot!
Less than 25k in a 70k Stadium will be sht, doesn’t matter how steep the seats are and as most Sydney games draw under 15k I can say with some confidence clubs continuing to play at anz will be short changing their fans.

Yes of course you've been to a lot in sydney.Something you don't want to read./We is(sic) here ,you is(sic) over there.And I repeat one more time, you can count on your hand the number of times you've been here.

You're got far more chance of getting 25k in stadium with cover and a rectangular one with a reduced capacity and the ability to close off the top decks, than the current schmozzle that is ANZ.
FYI ch 9 doesn't want Thursday nights in any future Tv deal.
You in your inimitable style know exactly what Sydney fans of the Tigers/Bulldogs and Souths want ,because you can say it with confidence.Just LOL.
The only meritorious thing debating with yo is, I've now ticked over 20K posts.And lost a few minutes of my life,I'll never get back in the process.o_O

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
The three codes have come out this morning supporting Civic over EPIC, but expressing concern on how the roof may ‘cook’ the grass in Summer months.

Well, a follow up question - Barr said the NRL doesn’t allow artificial turf. Is it time we explored it? Some of the state of the art versions are incredibly similar to the feel of real grass. The use them for soccer and union in North America as well as American football.

Is it just an ideological issue that’s stopping us at this point?

TheRam

Coach
Isn't there any other stadium in the world that has/had the same problem with the grass and sun problem and how did they solve it without having to use artificial turf? This can't be unique to the Canberra City Stadium site surely.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The problem with Civic is that unless the government is open to knocking a bunch of buildings down, which would massively blow the cost out, there's no space for a stadium anymore.

The Civic pool location was never going to be big enough unless they realigned Parkes way, which is a major road that will be expensive and hard to realign, and the Raiders (being the stupid f**ks that they are) built their COE (that could have been built anywhere and served it's purpose) on the Rugby League Park which was the only other location in Civic where it was feasible to build a stadium (in fact it was a much better location).

So basically a stadium in Civic is more or less a no go anymore, and the best option for everybody would be to look to build the stadium in one of the other city centres where there is space. I'd suggest Woden as the next best option.

Woden is probably the most central part of Canberra other than Civic, there's plenty of space to build a stadium at Phillip Oval (would have to kick Cricket ACT out, but it's doable), it's got a fair amount of restaurants and stuff to do that are all walking distance from the stadium (and more could pop up around there if a stadium was built), there's a bus interchange just down the road, and there's even a pre-existing multi-storey car park that is right across the road from Phillip Oval. Though it's not in Civic it's the perfect location, I'd argue an even better location then Civic pool.

There's even a Viking connection there considering that Woden is just the Anglo-Saxon name for the god Odin. So maybe it was meant to be all along.
Maybe they just have to build it without the roof?

what’s preferable, location or comfort?
Or they could just build it with a proper roof instead of a glass roof, which was always a f**king stupid idea anyway.

Last edited:
Well, a follow up question - Barr said the NRL doesn’t allow artificial turf. Is it time we explored it? Some of the state of the art versions are incredibly similar to the feel of real grass. The use them for soccer and union in North America as well as American football.

Is it just an ideological issue that’s stopping us at this point?

Nope. There is a lot of medical and legal studies that artificial grass increases the risk of injury. This is one article which goes into some depth - https://lawpartners.com.au/blog/why-artificial-turf-could-increase-our-risk-of-serious-injury

Even the following article, published earlier this year, outlines other issues that are being found in the US where they use artificial turf - https://www.popsci.com/sports-injury-turf-grass-football-soccer/

Isn't there any other stadium in the world that has/had the same problem with the grass and sun problem and how did they solve it without having to use artificial turf? This can't be unique to the Canberra City Stadium site surely.

I read up in Forsyth Barr stadium and they use a real & artificial turf mix. But apparently it’s quite expensive to maintain so there’s been a push to go 100% artificial.