What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

blue bags

First Grade
it would bring in huge money
say you are the QLD Government
as if you wouldn't bid massive to get the Gf for say, 3 seasons
then, it goes up to open tender again and Oh Shit its off to Eden Park. NZ Govt just spent all the moneys

it shouldn't just stay in Sydney because that's what it has always been.
like NFL superbowls ,

siv

First Grade
NRL needs to maximise non media revenue. Selling big events is a key way to do so. The justification for keeping it in Sydney just because the NSW Govt actually did their job and upgraded sporting infrastructure is a joke.

NRL has the following marquee events it sells or could sell:

All-Stars
Club Nines
World Nines
SOO 1 game
GF
Magic weekend
Internationals

Then support for club games to be taken on the road

NRL cant sell the World Nines and internationals

Thats the realm of the IRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed. A Superbowl style floating GF would be a game-changer for the NRL.
AFL GF will never leave Melbourne.

afl states have shown thy will turn out for big nrl event games. A gf is likely to bring more sports tourism than any of the other events so a lot more valuable to bidding cities. After covid states are going to be desperate to support businesses, sports tourism is a great opportunity for nrl over next couple of years to financially benefit.
Only downside is the only big stadiums outside of anz and Suncorp are ovals.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL cant sell the World Nines and internationals

Thats the realm of the IRL

not so, only the World Cup sits under irl and they sell that to hosts. All others are at the whim of the host nation or the nations involved. Nrl puts on and sells the rights, tv and stadium, ticketing etc for international events in Australia, Nzrl in nz, RFL in england.

Perth Red

Post Whore
where are the NRL going to get the cash for ANZ?

very much doubt anz has enough events to make a profit. The only value would be if the deal included some of the surrounding land which the nrl could then develop or sell off. That’s where afl will make its money on marvel. That and they want to provide a better deal for the clubs at marvel as they were paying large rental fees. Bankwest would be a better buy for nrl and move more games there at a lower price for clubs thereby making clubs more sustainable.

blue bags

First Grade
afl states have shown thy will turn out for big nrl event games. A gf is likely to bring more sports tourism than any of the other events so a lot more valuable to bidding cities. After covid states are going to be desperate to support businesses, sports tourism is a great opportunity for nrl over next couple of years to financially benefit.
what about moveing some big nrl matches interstate, like a some Quater finals, semi finals , every major city could get a big nrl game

greenBV4

Bench
what about moveing some big nrl matches interstate, like a some Quater finals, semi finals , every major city could get a big nrl game
I think a home advantage should be kept for the teams who earnt it in the finals, The GF however doesn't have a "home team" and would work as a changing venue

I used to think that the GF should be played in Sydney (for tradition-sake if I’m honest) but I’m now opened to it moving. If we’re serious about making RL a country-wide game then I think the grand final will be a great vehicle to help achieve that. Spread the love as they say. However if we’re talking about sports tourism as the main driver, then the GF deserves nothing less than a 60/70-ish k stadium. I’d be happy to give Brisbane the first away GF cos they deserve it but after that, it should only go to a mega size ground. It’s the best game of the year.

Perth Red

Post Whore

not really needed, and Tbf clubs and fans shouldnt miss out on home ground for finals imo. With club games there’s only really perth, Adelaide, gosford Darwin and some nz cities with decent money to throw At club games. Regional games are goodwill,games but doubt they are making the clubs much when you factor in small crowds and ltd corporate opportunities and how much a lga can spend on bringing a game to town.

greenBV4

Bench
I used to think that the GF should be played in Sydney (for tradition-sake if I’m honest) but I’m now opened to it moving. If we’re serious about making RL a country-wide game then I think the grand final will be a great vehicle to help achieve that. Spread the love as they say. However if we’re talking about sports tourism as the main driver, then the GF deserves nothing less than a 60/70-ish k stadium. I’d be happy to give Brisbane the first away GF cos they deserve it but after that, it should only go to a mega size ground. It’s the best game of the year.
There's only 3 stadiums in Australia that size

Make it 50k, then you have ANZ, Suncorp, MCG or Docklands, Optus, Adelaide, Eden Park

Maybe put pressure on qld gov to increase capacity of Suncorp and if successful the other states to build bigger rectangles

blue bags

First Grade
I think a home advantage should be kept for the teams who earnt it in the finals, The GF however doesn't have a "home team" and would work as a changing venue
the higher ranked team already has an advantage, by playing a lower ranked team, you want to create more sports events tourism, cash flow, promotion of the NRL across the nation by playing in the big city grounds
Adelaide, Perth and other cities , need more NRL Games, what happens at suncorp if broncos, titans dont make top 8. semi's, suncorp is a ghost town, am i right ? which is silly for 1 of the best stadiums in the world , same as perth optus stadium. aderlaide oval

only way they would spend that sort of money to put another 15-20k in Suncorp (if it is even possible with its design?) would be guaranteed if a gf every other year. Not going to,happen any other way.

A second Brisbane team would bring a decent derby crowd twice a year plus origin. We can live in hope, right? I just think there’s something wrong with a sub 60k GF

Perth Red

Post Whore
A second Brisbane team would bring a decent derby crowd twice a year plus origin. We can live in hope, right? I just think there’s something wrong with a sub 60k GF

there’s only 4 stadiums in the country with over 60k capacity.
Id hate to think how much Suncorp would cost to put in another 15k seats. Maybe in 20 years when it is due a refurb and only if they were getting something to justify it.

ANZ stadium officially cancelled. Be interesting to see the NRL’s response.

NRL was totally outplayed here unfortunately, ANZ should’ve gone first but instead they caved and Allianz went first. Out of all this we’ve only got stadiums that basically benefit 2 clubs. Total disaster.

Latest posts