What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

siv

First Grade
Hills like Kogarah and Brookvale average 1 or 2k less these days because they are forcing isles on the grass

Not understanding thats not how hills work

Jamberoo

Juniors
After reading yesterday's article about the Bulldogs having Liverpool (35k) as a back option I don't know why they are even bothering with a Belmore upgrade. Leave Belmore as the training HQ. A new stadium in Liverpool would benefit Rugby League more than an upgrade of Campbelltown. A stadium in Campbelltown would be used by A league football and 3-4 games of Wests Tigers. Stadium at Liverpool would mean 12 Bulldogs games, 3-4 Wests Tigers games. Bulldogs will not play out at Campbelltown but the Wests Tigers can play out of Liverpool.

My personal view of how I want the future of Sydney stadiums/clubs:

Souths: SFS 42,500 new
Roosters: SFS 42,500 new
Manly: Brookvale 22,000 new stadium including the new northern stand/centre of excellence
Penrith: Panther Stadium 23,500 brand new stadium
Cronulla: Shark Park 19,500 upgraded corporate facilities & amenities
St George: 5/6 Jubilee upgraded - 5/6 Win Stadium
Parramatta: Bankwest
Bulldogs: Liverpool 32,500 brand new stadium at Liverpool
Wests Tigers: 4 Bankwest, 4 Liverpool, 4 Leichhardt Oval. Get 8 games at brand new stadiums with corporate and an extra game at Leichhardt Oval.

New Stadiums-
SFS - New 42,500
Brookvale - New 22,000
Panther Stadium - New 23,500
Liverpool - New 32,500 - 12 Bulldogs + 4 WT's = 16 games

Done-
Bankwest

Upgrades-
Shark Park, Jubilee, Leichhardt Oval
The Govt has canned ANZ to save money. They will spend half the ANZ budget at most. So one new stadium blows the whole budget.

T-Boon

Coach
“We are still going through the results,” said South Sydney CEO Blake Solley.

“But it is clear there is an appetite to return to ANZ.”

wow, have to say I’m surprised this I what members want. Having been to a Souths game on a cold wet Friday night at anz it would be the last option I’d vote for.

South Sydney are going to elect to play at the fuggly ANZ stadium in middle of BF Idaho rather than the purpose built magnificent new SFS in their own backyard? ….

This has to be up there with weirdest things in the game right now.

If I was the Sharks I would rename to Sydney Sharks take 3 home games a year to the new SFS and try to squeeze Souths right out of the city. Start using Redfern as a training base. Just take over the area.

magpie_man

Juniors
South Sydney are going to elect to play at the fuggly ANZ stadium in middle of BF Idaho rather than the purpose built magnificent new SFS in their own backyard? ….

Yep, it makes no sense to me either.
They have Juniors down the road at Kingsford and their junior development footprint abuts Moore Park as well.
I know that they were understandably aggrieved about their previous unfavourable treatment by the SFS but sheesh.

The club knows that Souths fans in the west attend games in far greater numbers than Souths fans in the east, I guess. Sydney people in the east are content watching it on tele. None of my Souths buddies go to games and haven’t in years. Not even the GF could entice them to go. Not much of a survey there, I know lol.
Could also be a tactic by the club to negotiate a better deal when they sit down with the SCG Trust. ANZ are offering us $X, what can you do? Given they’ve been happy to go west in the past, the Trust will know they’re not bluffing.

greenBV4

Bench
The club knows that Souths fans in the west attend games in far greater numbers than Souths fans in the east, I guess. Sydney people in the east are content watching it on tele. None of my Souths buddies go to games and haven’t in years. Not even the GF could entice them to go. Not much of a survey there, I know lol.
Could also be a tactic by the club to negotiate a better deal when they sit down with the SCG Trust. ANZ are offering us $X, what can you do? Given they’ve been happy to go west in the past, the Trust will know they’re not bluffing.
Isn't the trust essentially now going to control ANZ as well? Wasn't there a merger announced?

T-Boon

Coach

You would think Souths fans in the West who are keen enough to make the effort to go even to such a crappy RL stadium as ANZ would be prepared to make a little bit more effort and get to SFS for the great experience of watching in a brilliant stadium, plus then the club could try to "expand" the club into Redfern and all those nearby expansion areas.

You would think Souths fans in the West who are keen enough to make the effort to go even to such a crappy RL stadium as ANZ would be prepared to make a little bit more effort and get to SFS for the great experience of watching in a brilliant stadium, plus then the club could try to "expand" the club into Redfern and all those nearby expansion areas.

Well if their survey is legit, your very valid points become redundant

T-Boon

Coach

I think their survey probably just asks which ground would you prefer us to play at. They should ask "if we play at SFS will you still come" Maybe offer them a cheaper Western Sydney membership or something. We need a team in Sydney that is interested in trying to go head to head with the Swans for biggest Sydney city football club.
With the tram line open one of these clubs should be trying to expand into the northern suburbs which doesn't really have any professional sports teams.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

wording is everything! Note he didn’t say “the majority of fans want to stay at anz” he said “there is appetite from our fans for anz” that could be 10% of fans or 90% of fans!
I’d suggest it is all down to $’s and who is offering best deal. Sadly this will come at the expense of fans experience and stop Souths matching Eels for attendances. Anz is a sht experience to watch club RL at and I’m sure puts many off attending.

blue bags

First Grade
Hills like Kogarah and Brookvale average 1 or 2k less these days because they are forcing isles on the grass

Not understanding thats not how hills work
its about saftey now , stricter rules regulations

If I was the Sharks I would rename to Sydney Sharks take 3 home games a year to the new SFS and try to squeeze Souths right out of the city. Start using Redfern as a training base. Just take over the area.
yes sydney sharks, move roosters to brookvale, change there name to harbourside roosters
move eagles to central coast , they would become new club, central coast eagles
maybe merge north sydney bears with the harborside roosters, become the rooster bears
red white blue black jerseys

blue bags

First Grade
Brookvale only averages under 15k a year because it is in worse condition then the coliseum in Rome and if you ever have the pleasure to go to Brookvale in its current state after about 13-14k it is absolutely bursting at the seams and forget about using bathrooms, getting food or drinks. Recent safety changes over last 5-10 years makes it capacity 16k tops so hard to compare with previous crowds. People need to realise lots of Manly fans do not attend home games cause it really isnt a comfortable experience at the moment. Building Manly a 20-22k seated stadium would be perfect allowing some room for growth but with blockbuster games against rivals Storm, parra etc would be immediately sold out.

Waratahs and Sydney Fc have already played lots of club games there with and would continue for smaller games even after new SFS is built- rugby union especially would take various games there too as in there strong hold.
fully agree , brookvale has been crying out for upgrades for decades , brookvale should be a priority ASAP

GAZF

First Grade
Yes, because building things for places that don’t have said things is the same as building duplicates of things for people that is only a five minute extra trip otherwise.

Galaxy brain.
Why build a new primary school when there's a perfectly good high school 5 minutes away?
Why build a corner store when the shopping centre is two suburbs over?
Why open a general practice when patients could just drive to the hospital?

Similar venues with different capacities often serve different functions and/or cater to different markets.

Belmore is on the train line. They just need to build a 10K stand on the Eastern side and upgrade amenities and corporate facilities. $100M. Done.

Was my first thought exactly when I heard of the Belmore idea. Rebuild Belmore and have the northern end a plush stand over the rail lane / include a station within the structure.

Pretty sure there’s a stadium in the UK, possibly Wales but I can’t recall, with a rail station that’s under / within the grandstand structure of the stadium. Remember seeing a doco on it many many years ago and thought that was a great idea.

beave

Coach
Was my first thought exactly when I heard of the Belmore idea. Rebuild Belmore and have the northern end a plush stand over the rail lane / include a station within the structure.

Pretty sure there’s a stadium in the UK, possibly Wales but I can’t recall, with a rail station that’s under / within the grandstand structure of the stadium. Remember seeing a doco on it many many years ago and thought that was a great idea.

You talking about Landsdowne Rd/AVIVA stadium in Dublin?

images