What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

horrie hastings

First Grade
Was my first thought exactly when I heard of the Belmore idea. Rebuild Belmore and have the northern end a plush stand over the rail lane / include a station within the structure.

Pretty sure there’s a stadium in the UK, possibly Wales but I can’t recall, with a rail station that’s under / within the grandstand structure of the stadium. Remember seeing a doco on it many many years ago and thought that was a great idea.

Well now would be the time to do it if they are going to put in a train station because that line is being upgraded to the Metro line so perfect time to do it while they are working on it instead of causing further disruptions after the metro work is completed.
With a Belmore upgrade now, i'm not certain what the current grandstand is like for comfort and corporate facilities but it has been around for a while so i think it would need a few dollars spent on it if they don't pull it down and rebuild it, would also put a stand where the hill is as they have the scope to do it there then i would put a smaller stand out over the railway end and leave the residential end as is. Belmore Station is less than 10 minutes walk away so i doubt whether they would put a station in at the ground as it would add to the cost significantly .

wording is everything! Note he didn’t say “the majority of fans want to stay at anz” he said “there is appetite from our fans for anz” that could be 10% of fans or 90% of fans!
I’d suggest it is all down to $’s and who is offering best deal. Sadly this will come at the expense of fans experience and stop Souths matching Eels for attendances. Anz is a sht experience to watch club RL at and I’m sure puts many off attending.

Good pick up, PR

Well now would be the time to do it if they are going to put in a train station because that line is being upgraded to the Metro line so perfect time to do it while they are working on it instead of causing further disruptions after the metro work is completed.
With a Belmore upgrade now, i'm not certain what the current grandstand is like for comfort and corporate facilities but it has been around for a while so i think it would need a few dollars spent on it if they don't pull it down and rebuild it, would also put a stand where the hill is as they have the scope to do it there then i would put a smaller stand out over the railway end and leave the residential end as is. Belmore Station is less than 10 minutes walk away so i doubt whether they would put a station in at the ground as it would add to the cost significantly .

i think if they even to just consider belmore they’d have to build a station into the Northern end. It would be an absolute party piece and I’m sure would guarantee far bigger crowds at the gate.

To do it all and then still have the nearest station ten minutes away would be an absolute golden opportunity missed.

ANZ simply does not cut it as a home ground as it is right now, and I’m all for club playing in their local area. While it’s not too far away, Liverpool isn’t Canterbury... Belmore is a absolutely Blue and White.

Driving to and from suburban grounds has always been carnage and many don’t wanna lug on a train then have a long walk to n from the ground, especially families with kids etc. To have public transport right to the entry of the ground would be the envy of every other suburban ground in the country.. It’d be absolutely worth every cent of the construction cost.

Suitman

Post Whore
I just posted this in the Media section, but thought it should be here as well.....

Hanky Head has been banging on again about how good ANZ is because the AFL might play their grand final there, and it will probably host the Woman's Football World Cup Final. He's also arguing again that it's only 20 years old.

A few points.

1. The reason it will host the final of the WWC in 2023 is because it's the largest stadium in the country that is FIFA compliant, and only then, just, when they bend the rules a bit. So in effect, it's not fit for purpose.

2. Age of the stadium has nothing to do with the reason behind what was to be the rebuild. It is a shit ground for every rectangular sport. The AFL has the SCG and Spotless, which is more than adequate for their needs in this city, in which rectangular sports dominate. So, once again, the stadium is not fit for purpose for the majority of sports in this city.

He's just trolling now for the hits to the SMH website, therefore, I will not post the link.
A broken record he is.

Suitman

Post Whore
i think if they even to just consider belmore they’d have to build a station into the Northern end. It would be an absolute party piece and I’m sure would guarantee far bigger crowds at the gate.

To do it all and then still have the nearest station ten minutes away would be an absolute golden opportunity missed.

ANZ simply does not cut it as a home ground as it is right now, and I’m all for club playing in their local area. While it’s not too far away, Liverpool isn’t Canterbury... Belmore is a absolutely Blue and White.

Driving to and from suburban grounds has always been carnage and many don’t wanna lug on a train then have a long walk to n from the ground, especially families with kids etc. To have public transport right to the entry of the ground would be the envy of every other suburban ground in the country.. It’d be absolutely worth every cent of the construction cost.

I know all these things are exciting to dream about, but neither the upgrade to Belmore nor an integrated railway station in a northern stand at a cost of several hundred million $$ will happen for a ground that would be used at most 12 - 15 times a year,
Let's move on and try and discuss realistic proposals.

I know all these things are exciting to dream about, but neither the upgrade to Belmore nor an integrated railway station in a northern stand at a cost of several hundred million $$ will happen for a ground that would be used at most 12 - 15 times a year,
Let's move on and try and discuss realistic proposals.

Ahhh cmon Suit....

Take your red bandana off and dream a little..

horrie hastings

First Grade

If it was going to be a 50,000 to a 100, 000 capacity stadium I would agree with a train station being incorporated but even with the upgrade Belmore will still be a suburban ground so the cost benefit of putting a station in for a ground that will be used for 10-12 games a year would not justify the cost and apart from a few lucky residents living close to the ground it doesn't actually benefit many at all with Belmore station under a ten minute walk away.

If it was going to be a 50,000 to a 100, 000 capacity stadium I would agree with a train station being incorporated but even with the upgrade Belmore will still be a suburban ground so the cost benefit of putting a station in for a ground that will be used for 10-12 games a year would not justify the cost and apart from a few lucky residents living close to the ground it doesn't actually benefit many at all with Belmore station under a ten minute walk away.

Ahhhhh you too Horrie.... !!!

Take your red bandana off and go join my mate Suit....

horrie hastings

First Grade
Ahhhhh you too Horrie.... !!!

Take your red bandana off and go join my mate Suit....

Mate, with this new Metro line they are missing a huge opportunity of where it pops up at St Peters as not putting a station there as there is a lot of residential area there and also expanding the Marrickville Metro shopping centre , that is a missed opportunity that would benefit a lot more people than a station at Belmore Oval .

Take your blinkers off and realize that what you would like is financial suicide. :)

Cmon Suit!!!

Boo-hoo!

Imagine how good it would be!!

The line is already there, that’s the biggest hurdle and cost already covered. The station, while a significant cost, would be part of the structure of the stand.. It would also need signalling upgrades (which the whole network is going through anyway) but it wouldn’t be the back breaker some might think.

It’s also a drawback of the existing ground as there’s no room for fans at the northern end. Why redevelop a ground where you can only use 3 sides for fans... to me that’s far more ridiculous and a waste of money. Integrate the station in the base of a stand of sorts. The only thing I don’t know is the geometry of it all, if it could physically be possible. But I think it could work.

Yeah I’m possibly looking a bit through rose coloured glasses but..

It’s the “IF” for me.. that is... IF they are seriously looking at redeveloping Belmore then I think this would be a must. If they don’t do it, I personally think it’s a huge waste of money.

Suitman

Post Whore
Cmon Suit!!!

Boo-hoo!

Imagine how good it would be!!

The line is already there, that’s the biggest hurdle and cost already covered. The station, while a significant cost, would be part of the structure of the stand.. It would also need signalling upgrades (which the whole network is going through anyway) but it wouldn’t be the back breaker some might think.

It’s also a drawback of the existing ground as there’s no room for fans at the northern end. Why redevelop a ground where you can only use 3 sides for fans... to me that’s far more ridiculous and a waste of money. Integrate the station in the base of a stand of sorts. The only thing I don’t know is the geometry of it all, if it could physically be possible. But I think it could work.

Yeah I’m possibly looking a bit through rose coloured glasses but..

It’s the “IF” for me.. that is... IF they are seriously looking at redeveloping Belmore then I think this would be a must. If they don’t do it, I personally think it’s a huge waste of money.

Look mate, I agree with you and it would be a dream, but I just can't see it happening. I'd love for this to happen and to have an English styled stadium in the middle of high density suburbia that has just one tenant used minimally throughout a season. Australia is a different beast. We have neither the population density, the passion, nor travelling fan support, nor the $$ to support such a proposal.
We are a different beast here in Oz. We have to be realistic here.

Sure, spend $150-200 million on a Belmore upgrade. That won't happen for starters.
Add to that a station on the Metro. They are notoriously expensive.
I'm not being negative. Just realistic, so don't boo-hoo me. :)
Can we not discuss more solid proposals instead? And, who knows what they will be tbh?

Suitman

Post Whore
so spend more on a liverpool stadium

Don't need to spend more. But a stadium at Liverpool is a possible solution, considering that investment in Liverpool real estate is increasing.

gqM0MaC.jpg

unforgiven

Bench
The club knows that Souths fans in the west attend games in far greater numbers than Souths fans in the east, I guess. Sydney people in the east are content watching it on tele. None of my Souths buddies go to games and haven’t in years. Not even the GF could entice them to go. Not much of a survey there, I know lol.
Could also be a tactic by the club to negotiate a better deal when they sit down with the SCG Trust. ANZ are offering us $X, what can you do? Given they’ve been happy to go west in the past, the Trust will know they’re not bluffing.

Except all the grounds will be run by the same body.

Latest posts