What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

reanimate

Bench
To be fair to him its up to the NRL to step in say Central Coast Bears ain't happening ( which everyone knows ) . As long as as no one says anything there is hope ( hates probably the better word). Make a call and give the North shore back to Manly or split with roosters who have current partnership with Norths.
It will take someone with some balls and no agendas to do this- Hoping Vlandys steps up as it really is a big unspoken issue.
Agreed, the North Shore is incredibly important, it needs proper engagement from an NRL side. A good number of people from the North Shore are wealthy and go on to hold high level positions in a lot of companies and important organisations- you want those people as invested, lifelong NRL fans. From there, sponsorship and investment dollars will flow.
tbf Grant told them that on 2013, it’s why they pulled out of gosford and closed down the CC Bears bid and why Florimo has been looking to link with somewhere else since.
They haven't given up on holding onto the North Shore though, that's the problem. That's why their other bids, like becoming the Gold Coast Bears, include the idea of holding the North Shore as one of their territories and playing a few home games at NSO. They need to be given a hard no on the idea of holding onto the North Shore and the area officially given over to another NRL club to develop.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
I would love to see a CC team but I think Manly are better off taking over the North Shore. What are their best options in the region? Keeping in mind any of these would require redevelopment.

- Brookvale? Spiritual home but away from most transport and hard to get to even from up north.

- Manly Oval? Recent refurb has made it clear this is a cricket ground.

- NSO? Again. Heritage listing is a barrier, plus the cricket uses. Otherwise - location is good.

- One of the Rugby grounds? I don't know enough about Rat Park etc etc if any are in a good location.

- Another central hub? I think they should seriously look at the booming Chatswood or Macquarie Park areas.
- Chatswood Oval is smack bang in the CBD and they could team up with Gordon rugby. Yes it is used for cricket but NSO does a similar job. Site a bit small but it is an Oval so maybe more room than we think?
- Macquarie Park. A lot of investment going into the area. Universities, tech companies. Growing place with potential to attract good sponsors.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed, the North Shore is incredibly important, it needs proper engagement from an NRL side. A good number of people from the North Shore are wealthy and go on to hold high level positions in a lot of companies and important organisations- you want those people as invested, lifelong NRL fans. From there, sponsorship and investment dollars will flow.

They haven't given up on holding onto the North Shore though, that's the problem. That's why their other bids, like becoming the Gold Coast Bears, include the idea of holding the North Shore as one of their territories and playing a few home games at NSO. They need to be given a hard no on the idea of holding onto the North Shore and the area officially given over to another NRL club to develop.

You can’t expect north Sydney to just give up Running grassroots and jnrs In the northern sydney region. The ideal scenario, but will be ever happen as nrl has no vision or balls, would be to drop manly to nsw cup and have a new north shore club in a new stadium with bears and sea eagles as feeder clubs. At the moment we have manly appealing to a tiny section of the region with no money and shthole of a ground, bears clinging on to a distant hope Of one day getting back in nrl somehow and very little RL engagement at nrl level for the whole area, and gosford.

Shire_seaeagle

Juniors
You can’t expect north Sydney to just give up Running grassroots and jnrs In the northern sydney region. The ideal scenario, but will be ever happen as nrl has no vision or balls, would be to drop manly to nsw cup and have a new north shore club in a new stadium with bears and sea eagles as feeder clubs. At the moment we have manly appealing to a tiny section of the region with no money and shthole of a ground, bears clinging on to a distant hope Of one day getting back in nrl somehow and very little RL engagement at nrl level for the whole area, and gosford.
Drop Manly to NSW cup and combine with bears!! Id hate to be the one to break the news but they already attempted this in early 2000's with the Northern Eagles and it was a failure. And it failed for numerous reasons which would occur now 20 years later.

Don't know what's your obsession with folding Manly?? Mate we are going no where. On the field we have been one of the most successful club, since the 70's only club to win a title every decade- thats great as a fan!!
Yes we know that Brookie being a hole has held back our growth but basically every other team but Manly have had new stands, stadiums built- political reasons which from both nrl and councils have been behind this. Traditional teams like saints tigers,sharks have all needed bail outs from NRL ifdont call for those teams to be folded!
Lastly I confident in what I have heard from Vlandys that Brookie will get upgraded- I beleive it is our turn and we have waited a long time.

reanimate

Bench
Until they're made to, I don't expect them to. They certainly haven't so far, despite their comps being so depleted in some years and at some ages/levels that their teams need to play in the Sea Eagles' junior comps as they can't form a proper competition of their own. That's why the decision needs to come from the NRL.

The ideal scenario would be an existing team with an NRL licence gets to develop and control the area. The whole starting again scenario with a new side isn't necessary and has already been done.

TheRam

Coach
There is a large rail holding yard just north of Hornsby station where the trains sleep at night. This would be the only place large enough for your proposal.
Otherwise, no.

Yeah fair enough, Hornsby would be to far out, let alone north of Hornsby and where would the trains go anyway? Yeah St Leonards seems to be the best option.

TheRam

Coach
What about building their Stadium at Gore Hill Park in St Leonards right next to the cemetery there and also very close to the train station? They could nickname it the Coffin.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Drop Manly to NSW cup and combine with bears!! Id hate to be the one to break the news but they already attempted this in early 2000's with the Northern Eagles and it was a failure. And it failed for numerous reasons which would occur now 20 years later.

thats not what I suggested. I suggested a new entity be formed to appeal to the whole north shore but with a relationship via feeder systems to the two current north shore clubs, plus whoever is running jnr footy in Gosford.

thats not what I suggested. I suggested a new entity be formed to appeal to the whole north shore but with a relationship via feeder systems to the two current north shore clubs, plus whoever is running jnr footy in Gosford.
You really have no clue about tribalism. ...club loyalty or anything about RL in Syd .

reanimate

Bench
I would love to see a CC team but I think Manly are better off taking over the North Shore. What are their best options in the region? Keeping in mind any of these would require redevelopment.

- Brookvale? Spiritual home but away from most transport and hard to get to even from up north.

- Manly Oval? Recent refurb has made it clear this is a cricket ground.

- NSO? Again. Heritage listing is a barrier, plus the cricket uses. Otherwise - location is good.

- One of the Rugby grounds? I don't know enough about Rat Park etc etc if any are in a good location.

- Another central hub? I think they should seriously look at the booming Chatswood or Macquarie Park areas.
- Chatswood Oval is smack bang in the CBD and they could team up with Gordon rugby. Yes it is used for cricket but NSO does a similar job. Site a bit small but it is an Oval so maybe more room than we think?
- Macquarie Park. A lot of investment going into the area. Universities, tech companies. Growing place with potential to attract good sponsors.
Manly Oval was actually meant to be our home ground, Unionites in Manly Council refused us permission to play there and Warringah Council offered us Brookvale Oval to use. A proper rectangular stadium in Manly would have been awesome. It'd turn the whole suburb into an unusable carpark on game day, but it'd actually be pretty easy for opposition fans to access via ferry.

Rat Park has the land to build a proper stadium, it's just another 20 minutes further up the Beaches and would make the travel times for opposition fans very unappealing. It otherwise could work well, you could build a huge carpark, proper facilities etc.

Chatswood Oval would be good if we ever get the Chatswood to Dee Why rail line. You could be in and out of the stadium really quickly. There isn't much room to build there though.
latest

It's been done.

You're right, in a sense, that the merger of the territories shouldn't have been allowed to fall apart. Whoever came out of the other side of the Northern Eagles falling apart should have also assumed control of the development of the other's territory and junior systems.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You really have no clue about tribalism. ...club loyalty or anything about RL in Syd .

i know that this tribalism you speak of has less than 1000 people going to Bears games and a couple of seasons ago had less than 9000 people going to Brookvale, all the while every one nashes their teeth at the lack of NRL reach and influence on a major area of sydney and regional NSW that AFl and Union have equal reach into.
Of course we can keep doing the same and and expect different outcomes, but you know how that ends.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Manly Oval was actually meant to be our home ground, Unionites in Manly Council refused us permission to play there and Warringah Council offered us Brookvale Oval to use. A proper rectangular stadium in Manly would have been awesome. It'd turn the whole suburb into an unusable carpark on game day, but it'd actually be pretty easy for opposition fans to access via ferry.

Rat Park has the land to build a proper stadium, it's just another 20 minutes further up the Beaches and would make the travel times for opposition fans very unappealing. It otherwise could work well, you could build a huge carpark, proper facilities etc.

Chatswood Oval would be good if we ever get the Chatswood to Dee Why rail line. You could be in and out of the stadium really quickly. There isn't much room to build there though.

latest

It's been done.

You're right, in a sense, that the merger of the territories shouldn't have been allowed to fall apart. Whoever came out of the other side of the Northern Eagles falling apart should have also assumed control of the development of the other's territory and junior systems.

That was a joint ownership model, and there by destined to failure like all the mergers in Sydney have failed on their ownership models. I'm talking about each club still being its own entity and ownership in NSW cup and a separate ownership for a Northern NRL club, but has a relationship (no funding) with those NSW cup clubs as feeder clubs playing out of a new neutral stadium that is within easy reach of the north shore population, with 3 or 4 games a year in Gosford.

reanimate

Bench
That was a joint ownership model, and there by destined to failure like all the mergers in Sydney have failed on their ownership models. I'm talking about each club still being its own entity and ownership in NSW cup and a separate ownership for a Northern NRL club, but has a relationship (no funding) with those NSW cup clubs as feeder clubs playing out of a new neutral stadium that is within easy reach of the north shore population, with 3 or 4 games a year in Gosford.
You want to eliminate another NRL club and start a new plastic brand all for the sake of saving the remnants of the Bears that we have now? You'd still get people allied with each club within the structure of the new club doing their best to wrest control and direction of the new entity from each other and even if the ownership model is different, it will be seen by people of the region as being Northern Eagles part 2. It's unnecessary and will be killing off another existing NRL brand to start anew. It's far more logical to just fold the remnants of the Bears and take an existing, known brand and extend its reach.

The Bears brand has been dead as a first grade NRL club for 20 years now, it's time to allow another NRL team to handle development there. Whether it's Manly having control of the region, or Manly and the Roosters splitting the region at somewhere like Boundary St, having established brands that kids can instantly recognise develop the region makes far more sense than burning all that brand recognition for a new team.

Last edited:

gunpk

Juniors
You want to eliminate another NRL club and start a new plastic brand all for the sake of saving the remnants of the Bears that we have now? You'd still get people allied with each club within the structure of the new club doing their best to wrest control and direction of the new entity from each other and even if the ownership model is different, it will be seen by people of the region as being Northern Eagles part 2. It's unnecessary and will be killing off another existing NRL brand to start anew. It's far more logical to just fold the remnants of the Bears and take an existing, known brand and extend its reach.

The Bears brand has been dead as a first grade NRL club for 20 years now, it's time to allow another NRL team to handle development there. Whether it's Manly having control of the region, or Manly and the Roosters splitting the region at somewhere like Boundary St, having established brands that kids can instantly recognise develop the region makes far more sense than burning all that brand recognition for a new team.
If they kill off Manly and make a new plastic team I doubt the existing supporters will follow this new team.
More likely to lose the existing supporters

gunpk

Juniors
I do understand the problem with Brookvale though. Manly have supporters outside the Northern Beaches and it is difficult for them to get to Brookvale and it'll help Manly to have a stadium in a better location

Perth Red

Post Whore

You tell me, will the people of Northern Sydney and Gosford become manly fans? Does manly have the finances, ambition and ability to stretch its wings to cover the whole northern sydney region?
All clubs are born at some point in time. In fifty years the new northern club won’t be plastic or a version of NE2.

T-Boon

Coach
Manly fans just have to realise the identity is the Sea Eagles not "Manly". If you keep the Sea Eagle and the colors you keep the identity of the club. Just ask the Bears who would call themselves the Insert Anything Bears or Western Suburbs Magpies who know they have totally lost their identity because the Magpie is not part of it or the Steelers.
Sea Eagles should become The Northern Districts of Sydney Sea Eagles Football Club (NDS Sea Eagles) and thrive .

siv

First Grade
You tell me, will the people of Northern Sydney and Gosford become manly fans? Does manly have the finances, ambition and ability to stretch its wings to cover the whole northern sydney region?
All clubs are born at some point in time. In fifty years the new northern club won’t be plastic or a version of NE2.

As a CC resident the answer we didnt accept Manly and have not accepted Easts attempt to muscle in either

Latest posts