What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Colk

First Grade
It's merkins like you that have permanently damaged the love I had for the game.

Completely fed up of the anti Cronulla rhetoric to the point I only watch Sharks games these days.

If Cronulla goes, I personally would lose sleep if the game died a death by thousand cuts.

You said once you don't care about the Sydney clubs, well guess what the league went to shit in 1995 when it added all these out of town clubs and the league became the ARL.

It wasn't the same game for me after that.

All I care about is the Sydney clubs, couldn't give a flying monkeys about the Donkeys, Cow Botherers and the joke club that is the Gold Coast.

Yeah but that’s the flaw of your argument. More people care about those clubs than clubs like Cronulla and some other NSW clubs (some not all). I am not trying to hurt your feelings but that’s a fact and that’s all that matters. Without those clubs the game would have been gone into irrelevance a long time ago. It’s just simple supply and demand.

Btw the early to mid 90’s were probably the height of RL popularity.

Colk

First Grade
Only reason the Adelaide Rams were set up was because they needed an extra team to make it a 10 team comp for SL in 1997. The lone employee of the SARL defected to Super League, and as News Ltd got its start in Adelaide, that was where the idea germinated for the Adelaide Rams came from.

In 1997, the Rams averaged 15,330 per home game. In 1998 that dipped to 7,742 per game (figures from - https://afltables.com/rl/crowds/adelaide.html).

There is little, if any junior league infrastructure in SA, unlike WA.

Weren’t they told though in 1998 that they were going to be cut from the competition? Bit hard to draw support when there is no chance of survival.

I can’t understand how anybody can argue that the competition couldn’t afford or wouldn’t be able to put sides in Adelaide or Perth or wherever.

Surely that is not the question anymore, if it has been in the past. The administrators throw so much money (practically down the drain in some sense) to clubs, that it is inarguable that they couldn’t afford a few new sides and wherever they wanted to.

The only real question is whether they should do it. If they are going to have a side for every square inch of Sydney, then it is really inexcusable that they don’t have a team in Adelaide and Perth. It’s actually incredibly negligent.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Yeah but that’s the flaw of your argument. More people care about those clubs than clubs like Cronulla and some other NSW clubs (some not all). I am not trying to hurt your feelings but that’s a fact and that’s all that matters. Without those clubs the game would have been gone into irrelevance a long time ago. It’s just simple supply and demand.

Btw the early to mid 90’s were probably the height of RL popularity.
What you and that Dolphins flog don't realise is like it or not the Sharks will be staying right where they are and always will be there.

Simple fact of the matter is the club is now financially sound and has a large junior base at its disposal (including powerhouse RL school Endeavour Sports High School only a Nicho Hynes 40/20 kick away from Shark Park.

What nuffies in here are basically calling for is for soccer and AFL to take over the Sutherland Shire as that is what happened in the inner west and North Shore when Balmain and Norths died.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
“We need to ensure junior development is maintained and grassroots is looked after to grow the game”

“we need to ditch the sharks they are a bust and don’t offer anything”

What you and that Dolphins flog don't realise is like it or not the Sharks will be staying right where they are and always will be there.

Simple fact of the matter is the club is now financially sound and has a large junior base at its disposal (including powerhouse RL school Endeavour Sports High School only a Nicho Hynes 40/20 kick away from Shark Park.

What nuffies in here are basically calling for is for soccer and AFL to take over the Sutherland Shire as that is what happened in the inner west and North Shore when Balmain and Norths died.
Can Sydney call itself the largest rugby league city in the world?

If its people are willing to abandon rugby league for soccer and fumbleball, in the advent that a few tiny clubs are given the boot that should have been aimed at them 30 years ago, then the answer is no, it's not a dyed in the wool rugby league city. Brisbane lost its competition in 1988, yet the game survived and thrived.

If nine Sydney NRL clubs cannot stop one AwFuL club from dominating the landscape, then it must be a regarded as a developing fumbleball wasteland. PVL said no money shall be spent on "rusted on AFL states". I guess we'll just have to stop squandering money on this developing fumbleball wasteland.

Colk

First Grade

Instead of getting emotional and flying off the handle (which you did) how about take a deep breath and read the post again.

I’m not actually insinuating that we should kill the Sharks or any other club in NSW, all I’m pointing out is this ridiculous notion that exists in certain supporters of Sydney clubs: that we would be better off if we went back to the NSWRL; or that all of the individual clubs in Sydney have some greater importance in the whole scheme of things than clubs outside of Sydney. This is despite all evidence pointing to the contrary.

Having teams in Sydney is all well and good but the fact that we haven’t got a national competition is absolutely ridiculous.

Btw the greatest damage to the game was not the death of certain clubs in Sydney (the death of clubs was inevitable due to a number of factors and also similar things have happened across multiple sports. Total viewership etc has also increased, not decreased) but the fact that we cut Brisbane 2, Perth, Adelaide etc and removed essentially all expansion across Australia. That was handing all of the advantage to the AFL, soccer and rugby (although the latter two haven’t done as much with that good hand as they should have)

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
The sooner we get to a conference system the better. Add the Pirates… make it 18 teams. 9 team Sydney conference….9 team regional/ interstate conference. Sydney teams play each other twice ( heaps of derby’s…..maximises crowds) and regionals once and vicea-verca. Top 4 from each conference play semis. Back on topic… Sharks announcement by the end of next week.

The sooner we get to a conference system the better. Add the Pirates… make it 18 teams. 9 team Sydney conference….9 team regional/ interstate conference. Sydney teams play each other twice ( heaps of derby’s…..maximises crowds) and regionals once and vicea-verca. Top 4 from each conference play semis. Back on topic… Sharks announcement by the end of next week.
This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I cannot take Cronulla supporters seriously.

Only an imbecile would advocate for an 18 team competition, with nine of them from a market that is barely able to support five, while Adelaide is left unrepresented.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Can Sydney call itself the largest rugby league city in the world?

If its people are willing to abandon rugby league for soccer and fumbleball, in the advent that a few tiny clubs are given the boot that should have been aimed at them 30 years ago, then the answer is no, it's not a dyed in the wool rugby league city. Brisbane lost its competition in 1988, yet the game survived and thrived.

If nine Sydney NRL clubs cannot stop one AwFuL club from dominating the landscape, then it must be a regarded as a developing fumbleball wasteland. PVL said no money shall be spent on "rusted on AFL states". I guess we'll just have to stop squandering money on this developing fumbleball wasteland.
Are you trolling or just completely and utterly clueless?

I was referring to the supporters of those clubs who left for the AFL and soccer because like it or not they'd supported those clubs all their lives and without their club the game was dead to them.

Maybe it's time to stop putting teams into Queensland as the AFL is on the march to take over up there anyway and there's nothing the NRL can do to stop it.

Like what happened in Sydney the past 50 years with the demographic changes thanks to gentrification and immigration, Queensland is fast becoming a place of choice for people in the AFL states to go.

More and more Victorians and South Australians are moving to the Sunshine State every year which means while people won't ditch their existing club, the kids of these expats are likely to become Lions & Suns fans. Especially if the Lions keep being a consistent finals team again.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
And that's not touching on the giant elephant in the room in AFLW.

More and more young girls are being drawn to Aussie Rules football as a sport of choice thanks to the feats of the likes of Erin Phillips.

Are you trolling or just completely and utterly clueless?

I was referring to the supporters of those clubs who left for the AFL and soccer because like it or not they'd supported those clubs all their lives and without their club the game was dead to them.

Maybe it's time to stop putting teams into Queensland as the AFL is on the march to take over up there anyway and there's nothing the NRL can do to stop it.

Like what happened in Sydney the past 50 years with the demographic changes thanks to gentrification and immigration, Queensland is fast becoming a place of choice for people in the AFL states to go.

More and more Victorians and South Australians are moving to the Sunshine State every year which means while people won't ditch their existing club, the kids of these expats are likely to become Lions & Suns fans. Especially if the Lions keep being a consistent finals team again.
There's no evidence of Bears fans quitting rugby league for fumbleball and soccer. The Swans started getting improved support when they started winning around 95-96, which was years before the Bears were wound up. Coincidentally, the Swans drew similar crowds in the 1980s when they had a bit of success. NSWRL teams were lucky to draw 8k back in the 80s when the Swans were getting more than 20k.

The National Soccer League was lucky to draw crowds of 5k between 1998 and 2003 and was shut down and replaced with the A-League. I don't see any evidence of Bears fans going to NSL games.

You're just making it up as you go along because you don't have an argument and, you're ranting and raving like a nutjob.

Cowboys minus Thurston = basket case
Cowboys plus Chad Townsend = Spoon
Sharks announcement by next week 👍
North Queensland has a world class stadium, high-end sponsors and are the sixth most watched team in the NRL, which makes them more important to the broadcasters than 10 other clubs. This is despite not performing on the field since 2017. Cronulla play out of a shithole and are one of the least watched clubs in the league, despite being successful on the field over recent seasons. Going by those metrics, and they're the only ones that count in a sport that relies heavily on broadcasting revenue to pay its players and keep all 16 clubs viable, it's fair to say the Cowboys are the more stable club with their future secured, whereas the Sharks are not certain of being around in 2032 when the Brisbane Games are in full swing. If Foxtel ever falls over then Cronulla would be one of the first teams to feel the pinch as the annual grant would more likely than not drop from 130% of the salary cap to covering nothing more than player payments.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
North Queensland has a world class stadium, high-end sponsors and are the sixth most watched team in the NRL, which makes them more important to the broadcasters than 10 other clubs. This is despite not performing on the field since 2017. Cronulla play out of a shithole and are one of the least watched clubs in the league, despite being successful on the field over recent seasons. Going by those metrics, and they're the only ones that count in a sport that relies heavily on broadcasting revenue to pay its players and keep all 16 clubs viable, it's fair to say the Cowboys are the more stable club with their future secured, whereas the Sharks are not certain of being around in 2032 when the Brisbane Games are in full swing. If Foxtel ever falls over then Cronulla would be one of the first teams to feel the pinch as the annual grant would more likely than not drop from 130% of the salary cap to covering nothing more than player payments.
I certainly hope that being the 6th most watched club makes you feel warm and fuzzy as you claim your 4th wooden spoon next year. Wish you wouldn’t quote me…. I’m trying to ignore your dribble.

I certainly hope that being the 6th most watched club makes you feel warm and fuzzy as you claim your 4th wooden spoon next year. Wish you wouldn’t quote me…. I’m trying to ignore your dribble.
We may very well finish last on the ladder, but at least our fans will be able to watch our team play out of a world class stadium in a lovely warm tropical city!

The measure of a club is how well supported it is when the team isn't performing on field. A poor performing Cowboys is still more stable and viable off the field than a Sharks team that finishes inside the top eight. If you want your club to get a significant stadium upgrade to bring it into the 21st century then maybe you and your fellow supporters should try selling it out each game, or getting close to it, the same way the Cowboys fans did back in the day, to prove that an upgrade is money well spent.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back to stadiums lol, is the holding off of any further announcements possibly due to nsw govt being worried about current covid spread and the potential financial impacts on the state?