What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
I have been digging around the web for an idea of what my bargain option would be for the SFS. I'd be modelling it on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investors_Group_Field

- Built eight years ago for C$200 million.
- Holds 33,500.
- Roof coverage keeps all seats on the sidelines (~85% total) dry to the fence.
- Separate upper tiers would allow the trust to keep a dedicated members area.
- Corporate boxes in the right spot.
- Flat ends for concert set up AND adding ~7,000 temporary seats for big matches.
- Big enough for Wallabies tests, Waratahs semi-finals Socceroos matches, A-League derby's, week 1 and 2 semis and ANZAC Day.

Please and thankyou.

Yep. I think if Australia gets the 2023 world cup then the final would potentially be the biggest sports event here since the Olympics. Especially if the Matilda's make the final. That would be a huge week leading up for the city that hosts it. Amongst other reasons, thats why I think NSW needs to spend the money upgrading ANZ to rectangular and good viewing ASAP. Forget SFS.

The upgrade plan for ANZ is bastardised, i reckon it’d be better waiting 10 years and having it properly knocked down & rebuilt.

TheFrog

Coach
Thanks, but he does say 30 to 40.

40 years to me would be a decent target.
Still not nearly good enough under public funding. If this is going to be an ongoing cost to the people of around $20m a year and rising even before maintenance begins, and not counting interest, what really needs to happen is a model needs to be developed whereby the cost is borne by the users and beneficiaries of the project.

unforgiven

Bench
Still not nearly good enough under public funding. If this is going to be an ongoing cost to the people of around $20m a year and rising even before maintenance begins, and not counting interest, what really needs to happen is a model needs to be developed whereby the cost is borne by the users and beneficiaries of the project.
Can you please list the 30 year old stadiums that are currently in use in Australia for top level sport?

You mean like rent?

Also where do you get your ongoing cost figure from?

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
are you some AFL sycophant or just taking the piss :rolleyes:

if the AFL want their stadium upgraded then they should pay for it

I'd be happy for the Victorian Government to stump up funds for all sporting facilities across the city, regardless of ownership. Melbourne Park has recently upgraded to first class tennis facilities with Government investment and I'm sure a great percentage of Melbourne would be happy for constant upgrades to all Melbourne stadiums, including Marvel, when required. Hence why Eddie McChins' idea of a whole new stadium just out of the CBD was shot down quickly by the public, it's not needed, upgrades are enough for what is available to use.

Its obvious that AFL is the biggest thing in this town so the Government should be working with them to ensure that it provides the facilities that maintains and grows that attendance culture. It doesn't matter who owns the stadiums, they provide a massive source of economic activity that the Government benefits from.

NSW should be doing the same with the NRL, they have just waited too long where it's got to a point of complete rebuild instead of redevelopment.

TheFrog

Coach
You mean like rent?

Also where do you get your ongoing cost figure from?
The cost ($730m) divided by 35, rounded somewhat.

Obviously they already charge rent, but do they charge TV stations to broadcast from grounds? And do they get anything from hotels and other amenities in the surrounding precincts? And obviously the Roosters, Waratahs and Sydney FC need to cough up commensurate with what they're getting. Maybe the Trust or whoever replaces it could run the food/drink outlets, and parking as well. And those gold members, I'd be looking at them to cough up once again, after all this is not the ground they paid for. A modest ticket surcharge, especially on expected high crowd events. There are probably other ways.

All this might go some way towards paying for the next one in 30-40 years.

TheFrog

Coach
Can you please list the 30 year old stadiums that are currently in use in Australia for top level sport?
The joint next door for a start. I couldn't be bothered listing them. Too many. Is NRL, AFL, Super Rugby or A League top level sport? If so there are dozens and dozens of them. I don't understand your point, to be honest.

juro

Bench
The joint next door for a start. I couldn't be bothered listing them. Too many. Is NRL, AFL, Super Rugby or A League top level sport? If so there are dozens and dozens of them. I don't understand your point, to be honest.
And how many have had major investments in them in that 30 year period? eg, the joint next door for a start.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The point is that none of them around the country have remained as they are for that long. The SCG has three major new stands built in the last 10-15 years and the Churchill-Brewongle stands which are just under 40 years old are in dire need of replacement too.

Nothing that stood at the MCG since prior to completion of the Southern Stand in 1992 remains there anymore, it's all new - and even then upgrading the Southern Stand is a high priority.

Adelaide Oval was completely rebuilt less than 10 years ago. The Gabba's been progressively rebuilt over the last 15-20 years. The WACA and Subiaco were effectively consigned to the dustbin for the new stadium there. Marvel's only 20 years old and already moves are there to upgrade it.

The point is these facilities do evolve, and do need replacement. We can't just leave them as they are and hope they don't keep falling apart.

The cost ($730m) divided by 35, rounded somewhat.

Obviously they already charge rent, but do they charge TV stations to broadcast from grounds? And do they get anything from hotels and other amenities in the surrounding precincts? And obviously the Roosters, Waratahs and Sydney FC need to cough up commensurate with what they're getting. Maybe the Trust or whoever replaces it could run the food/drink outlets, and parking as well. And those gold members, I'd be looking at them to cough up once again, after all this is not the ground they paid for. A modest ticket surcharge, especially on expected high crowd events. There are probably other ways.

All this might go some way towards paying for the next one in 30-40 years.

If they run it properly there’s actually an opportunity to make a little money, ANZ were able to do this. Have it so that money is paid back to the govt.

There’s potential for rent to go up too, with better corporate facilities the clubs can make more money.

Charging tv stations to broadcast from there is an odd one. They pay indirectly through rent charged to the clubs already.

Which could just as easily happen with the SFS at a much lower cost to the public.

No it couldn’t just as easily happen.

The SCG could much more easily be upgraded because the ground is in sectional stands, Allianz is one structure.

They didn’t just spruce up existing stands at the SCG, they knocked them down and started again.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Which could just as easily happen with the SFS at a much lower cost to the public.
Yeah, no.

The SCG is five or six (depending on your view) groups of stands which have easily been able to be indepdendently replaced or refurbished while having little to no impact on the rest of the venue.

It could not "just as easily" happen at the SFS.

Timbo

Staff member
It's just a total fallacy that the SFS could be renovated and save money. Many of the issues at the SFS are structural - the cost of a renovation is almost the same as a rebuild. And from what I understand the ground in its current state can not be used much beyond the next few years due to the saftey/access issues.

There are really only two choices:

1 - Build a new state-of-the-art stadium like the libs want.
2 - Build a smaller stadium on a budget for club use.

Michael Daley's plan of doing sweet f**k all is not viable and they'll look like utter f**ksticks when they have to pull the damn thing down anyway because of the existing issues.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Can you provide a link for the GF deal?
i can give you these

https://vic.liberal.org.au/news/201...xpayer-money-to-the-afl-over-community-sports

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-12/gf-at-mcg-until-2057-as-part-of-500m-megadeal

the article on the AFL's site clearly indicates the upgrade to Marvel was part of a separate deal that had nothing to do with the AFL GF

The agreement with premier Daniel Andrews' Labor government and the AFL is part of a broader sports package that will see $225million in investment in Etihad Stadium and the Docklands precinct.