What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

There were some mumurings within the liberal party about getting rid of the trust. So it could get cross party support if the liberals were in opposition.

TheFrog

Coach
No Government in NSW has had the numbers in the Legislative Council since it became a fully elected House in 1984. Due to the voting system, the minor parties have always held the balance of power.
That will always be the case, if the Libs couldn't get a majority after the 2011 and 2015 wipeouts. Labor could hope to command exactly half the seats with the help of the Greens if things go well for them. Otherwise they might have to offer sops to the shooters as the current lot have done.

TheFrog

Coach
I dare say you might have to retype it, cause if it was deleted by a mod, most forum software hard deletes posts mods remove so they literally can't restore them.
OK the gist of it is I think the SCG Trust should be taken out the back and shot, and since stadiums only last ~30 years and are not a money-making venture, they should not be expected to be paid for from the public purse ahead of various other infrastructure, completely regardless of what other states do.

Published earlier by the Sydney Morning Herald -

Labor will force the SCG Trust to repay $644 million loan for stadium upgrade
By Chris O'Keefe
March 1, 2019 — 6.00am

Labor will force the SCG Trust to repay a maximum $644 million loan to proceed with the upgrade of the Sydney Football Stadium at Moore Park, if elected at the end of the month.

In information obtained by the Herald, the Parliamentary Budget Office has told the NSW ALP the SCG Trust can repay the loan over 35 years with reduced payments for the first five years. It’s understood the total value of the loan is $644 million with $40 million in interest.

The figures take into account $85 million the NSW government has spent on the planning and demolition process.

Labor leader Michael Daley insists the design of the stadium will be more modest and in keeping with the local environment if he’s elected.

He is also not committing to offering the entire line of credit but would wait and see what other more “cost effective” options are presented.

“We don’t want to see it knocked down, but if the Liberal Party goes ahead then the cost of rebuilding it will be borne by the Trust and not the taxpayer.” Mr Daley said.

Sports Minister Stuart Ayres has consistently said that a loan, like Labor is proposing, is “almost impossible” for the Trust to service.

“This is a $19.5 million annual repayment from a body that has an average operating surplus of $1.5 million,” Mr Ayres said.

“Labor will bankrupt the SCG or charge people 10 times the price for a day at the cricket or the footy.”

It comes as the Land and Environment Court placed an injunction on any “hard” demolition of the Sydney Football Stadium, until Justice Nicola Pain delivers her verdict on a legal challenge next Friday.

The government has maintained its commitment to demolish the stadium and upgrade it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The key question here now isn't what Labor or Liberal (potential) state governments will do, but indeed what happens with the Waverley Council action.

Will they still try to prevent anything happening regardless of who's in power, or will they relent after the election (they may have to relent as soon as next week though lol)

The key question here now isn't what Labor or Liberal (potential) state governments will do, but indeed what happens with the Waverley Council action.

Will they still try to prevent anything happening regardless of who's in power, or will they relent after the election (they may have to relent as soon as next week though lol)

They will try, but from what I understand they have little grounds to stop it forever. Their current appeal is based on the proper planning process not being done.

If planning processes are properly followed, it’s hard to see how approval wouldn’t be granted for a stadium of a similar or smaller size. There’s really no grounds to stop it other than a heritage order. And only the state govt can issue that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Daley truly is a f**khead.

Ahhh who to vote for when they're both completely appalling in their own ways
52609101_2466718176695194_6668970293739913216_n.jpg

adamkungl

Immortal
I know. I'm pretty far to the left but I have almost no faith whatsoever in NSW Labor.

I know this isnt really the thread for it, but i see Libs as good on infrastructure while being completely morally bankrupt and corrupt up to their eyeballs.
And Labor are just like.... not Liberal and that's really the only policy they seem to have.

Suitman

Post Whore
I know hh1908 posted a tweet the other day with this photo but the pic really is the best I've seen of the interior of the stadium to date. I just thought I'd post it again for posterity.
Seriously, there's not a bad seat in the joint.
Click on the image for full size. It's looks amazing.

JmnWfj1.jpg

M2D2

Bench
I know hh1908 posted a tweet the other day with this photo but the pic really is the best I've seen of the interior of the stadium to date. I just thought I'd post it again for posterity.
Seriously, there's not a bad seat in the joint.
Click on the image for full size. It's looks amazing.

JmnWfj1.jpg
giphy.gif

Timbo

Staff member
I know this isnt really the thread for it, but i see Libs as good on infrastructure while being completely morally bankrupt and corrupt up to their eyeballs.
And Labor are just like.... not Liberal and that's really the only policy they seem to have.

Yeah - that’s my fundamental problem. All they seem to have is ‘don’t do what the coalition does’. Whereas the coalition tries to hide the shady shit they do with infrastructure spending.

Anyway, agreed, not the thread for it.

Latest posts