What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

T-Boon

Coach
I don’t see why North Sydney can’t get behind Sydney. The distance between us and them is only the length of the Harbour Bridge. Couple of ex Norths fans I know have gotten on board. It’s possible.

My only objection to the Roosters claiming the North Shore is they already have a great stadium (or will) so it would be hard for them to make an argument for NSO to be rebuilt whereas Manly does not have a good stadium anywhere so they could argue for upgrades without that issue coming up.
The thing the Roosters have over Manly is that being named Sydney they have a name that represents the North Shore where as the name Manly does not represent the North Shore at all.

siv

First Grade
I don’t see why North Sydney can’t get behind Sydney. The distance between us and them is only the length of the Harbour Bridge. Couple of ex Norths fans I know have gotten on board. It’s possible.

Yes change their colours to Red & Navy Blue

And call themselves the Northern Sydney Roosters playing out of NSO

Then everything they can have the North of Sydney bar Manly & Ryde

And Souths and Wests can cover south of the Parramatta River

greenBV4

Bench
Yes change their colours to Red & Navy Blue

And call themselves the Northern Sydney Roosters playing out of NSO

Then everything they can have the North of Sydney bar Manly & Ryde

And Souths and Wests can cover south of the Parramatta River
They wouldn't have to do this IMO, they have already aligned their branding to have the ability to market to all of Sydney

reanimate

Bench
I volunteer at my kids primary school. I always wear a team cap. PSSA and reading when they were younger. I now have parents asking me how their kids are bunnies supporters. It is that f**king simple.

And those kids that support someone else, I engage them and chat about their team.
It is, engagement works. Team reps and players coming into schools, to junior footy games etc are memorable moments for kids and engagement from other fans also works wonders.
I think Manly have 2 choices. Stretch themselves north to cover the CC. Or stretch themselves west to cover the North Shore. As much as CC offers, I feel Manly would be far better placed stretching themselves west. The population is bigger, there are more corporate opportunities, the population have more in common and there are no obvious other NRL sides that make sense.

This might sound pedantic, but I really prefer continuous regions. Ie I don't like having the Roosters on the North Shore as it is separate from their base. Tigers should be in Campbelltown and give up inner west to other teams.
I'd prefer that too, you can travel from the boundary of the Northern Beaches to the North Shore in seconds, teams like Forestville and Willoughby can be playing at each other's grounds in under 15 minutes. There's a lot of synergy between the two regions.

If the Roosters get the region that'd be fine too, as long as there's a plan for Manly to not just slowly wither on the vine and become a financial deadweight on the NRL in the future. The two island territory model has been made to work for the Dragons, Manly could cover the Beaches and the Central Coast while Roosters cover the Eastern Suburbs and North Shore. It's just a lot more awkward than Manly covering the Northern Beaches and North Shore- do you run two separate juniors districts? Play them all together and make everyone travel between places like Asquith and Bondi? You could also split the North Shore into Lower and Upper and align the Lower with the Roosters and the Upper with Manly. Anything's better than what the area has now.

Yep notice a lot of Rabbit's and Rooster's and Dragon's stickers in the Shire.
Love to share paradise with others.

I grew up in the shire (bonnet bay) and knew far more dragons n Souths fans than Cronulla. What I remembered was it stemmed from people living there prior to ‘67 and/or the urban sprawl. In the early 80’s at my school, hardly anyone supported Cronulla.

I moved away long ago but I knew a helluva lot more sharks fans as the years rolled on.

Last edited:
I grew up in the shire (bonnet bay) and knew more far more dragons n Souths fans than Cronulla. What I remembered was it stemmed from people living there prior to ‘67 and/or the urban sprawl. In the early 80’s at my school, hardly anyone supported Cronulla.

I moved away long ago but I knew a helluva lot more sharks fans as the years rolled on.
Yep lots more Cronulla support than any other team although Dragons and Rabbits are still well supported for the reasons you mentioned

Bulldog2020

Juniors
It would be a poor decision for any Club to change their name unless they are moving interstate, which is highly unlikely.

As previous comments have shown, increasingly over time support for each Club in Sydney will spread out and not be confined to the traditional areas/home ground. Support will be more family based rather than where you live.

siv

First Grade
They wouldn't have to do this IMO, they have already aligned their branding to have the ability to market to all of Sydney

You like these teams

City
City Origin
Sydney 1908
Sydney Tigers
Sydney Bulldogs
Sydney Bulls

Im confused who are Sydney these days in a city represented by 9 teams?

T-Boon

Coach
I would attach more brand to the jersey (eg have 1 jersey for ever rather than a new one each year plus have a badge twice the size it is now, bigger than the sponsors ad) and less to the town name.

Nqcowboy

Juniors
It’s funny how this thread started as a discussion about stadiums but quickly devolved into a continuous back and forth argument about the legitimacy of the northern eagles concept

mongoose

Coach
Inner West here but grew up in Paddington half a block away from the Old Sports Ground, back then just about everyone in the area and my school supported Easts but I would say now the same area if anyone supported any team or sports it would be the Swans and Rugby Union.

what soft cocks, lets support the blowins from south melbourne instead of the team that's been in the area for over 100 years. Most rich people don't know shit about sports and tribalism though... they will follow whatever's trendy among their social peers

what soft cocks, lets support the blowins from south melbourne instead of the team that's been in the area for over 100 years. Most rich people don't know shit about sports and tribalism though... they will follow whatever's trendy among their social peers

Merkins as well as soft cocks

Latest posts