What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

I never suggested they wouldn't survive financially, I said they'd lose the battle for hearts and minds...

The NRL doesn't need another failing football business with no fans that is perpetually propped up by rich owners and NRL grants.

What it needs is a behemoth of a club, with a large fan base (big enough to rival the Broncos), that can survive off it's football operations alone.

Unless they make major changes to their brand and target audience, the Dolphins simply aren't capable of that, and they'd end up being a mix between Brisbane's version or Manly and/or Easts, and we don't need that when there is the potential to build something much bigger.

The Dolphins brand is the problem!

Change their geographic representation all you like, people will still see them for what they would be; the Dolphins in drag and 'Brisbane' in name only.

If there was a league above the NRL and one of the other Sydney clubs was moving into it, but changed their name to (e.g.) the Sydney Eels, would you follow them?
Of course you wouldn't, no self respecting Panthers fan would ever be caught dead in an Eels jersey no matter whether they claimed to be from Parra, Sydney, or the bloody moon. So why are you expecting any different reaction from footy fans in Brisbane?

Now history shows that if they (the Dolphins or our hypothetical Eels) created a neutral brand, one that the vast majority of what should be their target audience hasn't grown up hating for generations, then we've got something with potential. But the Dolphins aren't doing that, so that alone should rule them out for the license.

a .. behemoth of a club ?
ahhhh.... they don't grow on trees buddy & no club usually starts out as one , they grow into one. The Dolphin brand will be fine , its a strong brand & yeah people would see them for what they are , Brisbanes 2nd NRL team. And who the hell hates them ? Hardly anyone follows the QRL so barely anyone would even associate or care where their history & roots are.

It'd work.. Brisbane Dolphins .
I like it

Zoe Palmer

Juniors
a .. behemoth of a club ?
ahhhh.... they don't grow on trees buddy & no club usually starts out as one , they grow into one. The Dolphin brand will be fine , its a strong brand & yeah people would see them for what they are , Brisbanes 2nd NRL team. And who the hell hates them ? Hardly anyone follows the QRL so barely anyone would even associate or care where their history & roots are.

It'd work.. Brisbane Dolphins .
I like it

Why not just leave it as the “Dolphins “

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
no

Just Brisbane dolphins
inclusive of everyone up there who doesn't follow & will never follow the broncos
I favour adding Brisbane to the name ticket especially if you’re playing your home games out of suncorp stadium but as an outsider I was wondering how the people of Redcliffe and moreton bay region would think about this?

I favour adding Brisbane to the name ticket especially if you’re playing your home games out of suncorp stadium but as an outsider I was wondering how the people of Redcliffe and moreton bay region would think about this?

do the people of redcliffe & moreton bay consider they're part of brisbane ?
I'd think they do
so they'd have no issue

Its like Rangers & Celtic in glasgow
united & city in Manchester
the Jets & Giants in NY

they all have their bases somewhere in their home city , but no reference to it

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
I'd think they do
so they'd have no issue

the Jets & Giants in NY

Although both rangers and Celtic are based within the city of Glasgow you bring up an interesting point that both the jets&giants playout out of a stadium in New Jersey whilst having the name New York jets/giants.

Also Manchester United play their home games outside of the city of Manchester in the borough of Trafford.

mongoose

Coach
I'd think they do
so they'd have no issue

the Jets & Giants in NY

yeah I would say they do, no one says they are from "Moreton Bay" .

yadamisha

Juniors
whats wrong with putting Brisbane infront of it... its a brisbane club playing out of brisbane , with a majority of its fans coming from brisbane

Obviously you have no idea. Redcliffe is NOT Brisbane - easiest way to piss off someone from Redcliffe calling them they are from Brisbane - its a different city for starters! Certainly not a good marketing move to target their audience!

Should be named more around Moreton or similar which is more relevant to where they are from.

mongoose

Coach
Obviously you have no idea. Redcliffe is NOT Brisbane - easiest way to piss off someone from Redcliffe calling them they are from Brisbane - its a different city for starters! Certainly not a good marketing move to target their audience!

Should be named more around Moreton or similar which is more relevant to where they are from.

Redcliffe is a residential suburb in the Moreton Bay RegionLGA in the north-east of the Brisbane metropolitan area

So yeah it's part of Brisbane.

Jamberoo

Juniors
sorry but totally disagree. There’s a big range of factors in growing sports crowds, nrl and it’s clubs at the moment are largely doing nothing to grow crowds. If Storm had moved into a 17k aami they wouldn’t be getting the crowd avg’s they are getting today. That’s money the club would t be earning to reinvest in getting bigger. If anything nrl at the moment is well below would it should and could be as the number one sport in some decent population centres. Get it right and nrl clubs could be huge.
Melbourne is not Brisbane or Sydney, but I will play... If AAMI was 22k, revenue might be higher as more fans might want a reserved seat. AAMI lacks atmosphere as it is usually only 50% - 55% full. 17k in a 22k would be much better.
They started building AAMI in 2007 and it was $268m. That would be $400m today. Are you suggesting that that is the kind of stadium Brisbane 2 or Sydney needs for their RL clubs?

yadamisha

Juniors
So yeah it's part of Brisbane.

BS - it is a separate city/region from Brisbane - always had been. It was Redcliffe CITY council before it was amalgamated in 2008 with the Shires of Pine Rivers and Caboolture to create Moreton Bay Region. They were/are never part of Brisbane either. Redcliffe was always the next city north of Brisbane. That's like saying Wollongong is part of Sydney or Gold Coast is part of Brisbane.

Your quote is referring to the suburb idiot, the region is named after that suburb, FMD, it's not a suburb of Brisbane! What's your quote from Wiki? The council chambers remain in Redcliffe, but the LGA name was changed to Moreton as a compromise - hence my suggestion for the NRL Dolphins.

Brisbane stops at the Hornibrook bridge - look that up, because I doubt you know what that is! Redcliffe as a suburb has nothing to do with Brisbane City metropolitan area apart from Redcliffe being the original capital of QLD as the first settlement until they moved it to a bigger river, now known as the Brisbane River.

Don't comment unless you know what you are talking about, obviously you don't come from anywhere near the area!

Last edited:

yadamisha

Juniors
Yes. It isn’t the whole point that Brisbane need a second team? So, if the team is not in Brisbane, why are they in the conversation?

Because they are richer than a lot of NRL clubs and hence can survive! They are still SE QLD though just like Ipswich, which is also not in Brisbane, they are Brisbane only because they merged with the bombers!

Last edited:

Latest posts