What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Jamberoo

Juniors
PVL says some money will be spent on ANZ. First time we have heard that? Also, that no the business cases have not yet been completed for any of the grounds and he does not know which one will go first. Kogarah moving to business case stage was announced previously and I assume that any impending announcement will simply be that the Govt is also assessing the business case at Penrith and Brookvale.
Exciting stuff, but we may be getting ahead of ourselves.
If the $800M is still there, perhaps a $75m makeover @ ANZ, $275m for a new 25K Penrith, $300m for 27.5K @ Liverpool, $100m for a new stand @ Brookvale and $50m to upgrade Kogarah including covering the northern end. Not sure if that is fair on the Sharks, but would be a massive boost for all other clubs.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
A question for those Sydneysiders on here...

Does a new SFS, a new Penrith, Bankwest, a new Southern Stadium / Kogarah and a new Brookevale and a new stadium at Liverpool along with ANZ left as is (let's face it, it will have to be upgraded eventually as it ages) for now finally get us where we need to be in Sydney for RL? Does that service all clubs with modern quality grounds for club football?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

Does a new SFS, a new Penrith, Bankwest, a new Southern Stadium / Kogarah and a new Brookevale and a new stadium at Liverpool along with ANZ left as is (let's face it, it will have to be upgraded eventually as it ages) for now finally get us where we need to be in Sydney for RL? Does that service all clubs with modern quality grounds for club football?
By the time we reach all of that some of the venues will have started ageing and needed upgrading - or it all allows enough crowd growth to the point we're needing more bigger venues 🤔

forby

Juniors
I don’t think that a stadium at Liverpool with no tenants indicating they would move there would ever get off the ground. I think that this is where they will get the money for ANZ.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

it still leaves ANZ as even more of a white elephant, ok (but not great) with 50K+ in attendance but rubbish for smaller crowds and nobody will want to use it for smaller games. Basically it’s just kicking that can down the road

PVL says some money will be spent on ANZ. First time we have heard that? Also, that no the business cases have not yet been completed for any of the grounds and he does not know which one will go first. Kogarah moving to business case stage was announced previously and I assume that any impending announcement will simply be that the Govt is also assessing the business case at Penrith and Brookvale.
If the $800M is still there, perhaps a $75m makeover @ ANZ, $275m for a new 25K Penrith, $300m for 27.5K @ Liverpool, $100m for a new stand @ Brookvale and $50m to upgrade Kogarah including covering the northern end. Not sure if that is fair on the Sharks, but would be a massive boost for all other clubs.

I wouldn’t spend a cent on ANZ, that money would be much better going to brookvale to do properly.

Yes, it would be brilliant. Let’s say this could be completed within 15 years, that would make our oldest club stadium Bankwest at 20 years old. Although it might be hard to get the sharks to shift from their ground.

TheRam

Coach
Manuka probably needs upgrading as well, why not do both?

The point isn't that there is already a rectangular stadium in place, the point is that it is in a souless shit hole with no facilities nearby.

A world class 30k seat roofed stadium in the city would do wonders for the economy. Anyone who doubts this need only look at the boom that the Adelaide CBD has received since the upgraded Adelaide Oval has become home to their 2 AFL teams.

I can't believe the ARLC has said nothing about the new indoor Adelaide Stadium snubbing all rectangular sports after it was originally proposed to be rectangular sports compliant. V'Landys should be blowing up deluxe. The original stadium proposal would have fast tracked an NRL team for sure. That type of city indoor stadium is a no brainer for any NRL team that wants to become relevant and a success almost over night. Building something like that is so unique and cool that you would have to be the most useless management team in the world to not draw players and crowds. It would be a annual sports must go weekend for thousands of visiting team supporters, tourists and locals alike. It is like the lost opportunity of building a stadium in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

So intimate and in doors with a capacity of 22K. What a brilliant place it would have been to see your team play. Why is the ARLC so silent on this? Beggars belief!!! Talk about short sightedness and dropping the ball. Once built, the chances of having a stadium like this for rectangular sports in that city are basically gone forever and with it the chance of a viable and successful Adelaide NRL team with it. Sure we may eventually get a team playing out of Adelaide maybe in about 20-30 years, but it will never have a stadium like this to play out of and therefore its success will be hard fought and very precarious year to year. Stadiums like this are like Unicorns. We are missing a once in maybe 100 years chance here. V'Landys wake up!!! You are failing on this massively. MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY.....

See below links

TheRam

Coach
I just don't see the return on investment at Penrith for the government.

WSW won't play there. No rugby team, state or national will play there. No other NRL team will play there and I can't see it being chosen above bankwest for other misc events, lower drawing socceroos games, concerts etc.

Who cares mate. Just build it. As long as the RL wins I don't care. If anyone else chooses to play out of there well good and fine. But like I said, as long as it is good for the game of RL I don't give a crap about it being value for government. Government squanders billions all the time. Finally we as RL supporters are beneficiaries. You beaut. You don't see the AFL whinging about all the stadium perks they have been afforded by multiple governments over the years.

Just freakin build 10 new rectangular stadiums around the whole country in the best city or transport infrastructure locations, wherever possible, if we can.

Build, build, build...merkins!!!

So what’s the future for ANZ if all these pocket stadiums get built? Can’t imagine any government being happy with ANZ sitting on prime land only being used three times a year. Maybe that’s the driver to get the refurb back on track or they’ll take the easy route and sell the land off for housing. We get it so wrong, so often in this town.
or sell the land & use some of the funds aquired to build a purpose built rectangle 70K seater somewhere else

$75 m for ANZ lol

that wouldn't upgrade the toilet paper in the loos

I can't believe the ARLC has said nothing about the new indoor Adelaide Stadium snubbing all rectangular sports after it was originally proposed to be rectangular sports compliant. V'Landys should be blowing up deluxe. The original stadium proposal would have fast tracked an NRL team for sure. That type of city indoor stadium is a no brainer for any NRL team that wants to become relevant and a success almost over night. Building something like that is so unique and cool that you would have to be the most useless management team in the world to not draw players and crowds. It would be a annual sports must go weekend for thousands of visiting team supporters, tourists and locals alike. It is like the lost opportunity of building a stadium in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

So intimate and in doors with a capacity of 22K. What a brilliant place it would have been to see your team play. Why is the ARLC so silent on this? Beggars belief!!! Talk about short sightedness and dropping the ball. Once built, the chances of having a stadium like this for rectangular sports in that city are basically gone forever and with it the chance of a viable and successful Adelaide NRL team with it. Sure we may eventually get a team playing out of Adelaide maybe in about 20-30 years, but it will never have a stadium like this to play out of and therefore its success will be hard fought and very precarious year to year. Stadiums like this are like Unicorns. We are missing a once in maybe 100 years chance here. V'Landys wake up!!! You are failing on this massively. MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAYDAY.....

See below links

I can understand why they dropped rectangular sports, it would’ve been a horrible atmosphere for Basketball, Netball, tennis etc.

Honestly, multi sports stadiums suck. They need to be consigned to the dustbin.

siv

First Grade
All stadiums should be 25-30k in Sydney

Penrith, Brooky need updates. But I could live with Manly Oval being upgraded instead

Liverpool area makes sense for the Dogs

I would prefer to see Leichhardt updated before Kogarah. Maybe adding a ferry terminal tool

Then add end stands to Newcastle and Gosford

But I wouldlike to see regional venues get 2000 seater grandstands. Coffs is desperate for a replacement grandstand

All stadiums should be 25-30k in Sydney

Penrith, Brooky need updates. But I could live with Manly Oval being upgraded instead

Liverpool area makes sense for the Dogs

I would prefer to see Leichhardt updated before Kogarah. Maybe adding a ferry terminal tool

Then add end stands to Newcastle and Gosford

But I wouldlike to see regional venues get 2000 seater grandstands. Coffs is desperate for a replacement grandstand

Can‘t see how Leichhardt gets any money, and really believe the southern Sydney stadium has to be in neutral territory if the sharks are to play there.

siv

First Grade
Can‘t see how Leichhardt gets any money, and really believe the southern Sydney stadium has to be in neutral territory if the sharks are to play there.

Southern Stadium is a waste. Sharks have Shark Park

And the Steelers already have the Gong

Kogarah serves no purpose for RL

If Wests want to be a inner west team then its Leichhardt

But I would then release the Macarthur to the Dogs

cleary89

Coach
20 I think is a stretch and even if it does get 20, that's worth the money in your opinion?

The new SFS will probably average close to 1 event a week.

200 million for 20 events a year.

828 million for 50 events a year.

Which one is not worth it?

flippikat

Bench
I don’t think that a stadium at Liverpool with no tenants indicating they would move there would ever get off the ground. I think that this is where they will get the money for ANZ.
I would’ve thought the dogs and MacArthur FC would jump at it?
Now *THERE* is a scenario that shows some promise.

Build a new stadium at Liverpool, beef up transport links from the South-West (Campbelltown etc) to the new stadium, put the Bulldogs, Tigers AND Macarthur FC there, and decomission Campbelltown Stadium - maybe sell the land to property developers to partially fund some of this?

The looming white elephant status of Stadium Australia is worrying - especially if Souths move to the new SFS.

If only the new SFS was being built to 65k capacity with a "club mode" of approx 25k (give or take a few thousand), then demolishing Stadium Australia once it's redevelopment fell-through would be a no-brainer.

Sure it's a bit of a dip for big events, but I think the NRL could have handled it for as long as it took for another 80k behemoth to be built (a couple decades, tops) - this time done right.

Latest posts