What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Colk

First Grade
because 20000 stadium is good enough for a population of 3 million.

How about we concentrate on Sydney. Sydney has one, two good rectangular stadiums and the best we can get is a lipstick on a pig Brookvale oval, a redeveloped SFS in which we are reducing the capacity, a probably inadequately sized Liverpool stadium and a potentially ok new Penrith stadium

So by the end of this process we will have one stadium over 40k capacity in a city of 5 million servicing 9 RL sides, one union side and 3 soccer teams.

You know glass houses and all

TheRam

Coach
Good post.

There’s extra scrutiny on stadium spend compared to other things. Muscle memory is to go into detail justifying it when in reality we should build many everywhere because it’s a community good and the point of govt is to benefit communities not to make profit and there’s very little of that in the west.

Commbank stadiums in Penrith, Manly, Liverpool, Gong, Perth, Adelaide, make it happen.

As for Adelaide, they are building that great indoor city Stadium that was originally going to be rectangular Footy compliant, but then the Gove decided against making it football sports compliant and gave the excuse as cost. But I don't think that is the real reason and I have a suspicion that the AFL may have gotten in its ear and influenced it somehow take football out of the equation. This is a major lost opportunity for all other football codes and especially the NRL. I can't believe V'Landys and the NRL aren't making massive waves and moves to help reverse the SA Gove to reverse its crippling decision for so many other sports. Once again AFL is the biggest winner.

What could have been and a guaranteed success for any future NRL team in Adelaide.

What it is now reduced down to and no NRL team will ever get to have a facility like this again that virtually guarantees success.

TheRam

Coach
Only if that the same criteria for EVERY club in the NRL lol

It's harder to get current licence holders to comply with anything. It's like herding cats. The ARLC is to weak to do what is necessary to make the game great again and the clubs have it by the short and curlies.

But they should and can demand the very highest standards from all future franchises. No need to keep adding weak and amateur entities to the NRL competition. The stadium is one of the paramount criteria to get right from the get go. It is a franchise make or break criteria. It needs to be spot on from the start, including location, a half decent team and the public will take you seriously and respond.

We aren't in Kansas anymore. People are much more sophisticated and demanding now. Perth people are used to a jewel. They will not see the NRL in a favourable light if they are playing in a hand me down second rate facility. They need to see the NRL on an equal footing when it comes to all the little things that make up a professional sport. The stadium is a huge part of that. It is the shop that they step into every second week and experience our product. We need them to feel like they are stepping into the salubrious and prestigious extravagance of Harrods not the cheap and uninspiring bargain bins of Best&Less.

I don't understand how some people don't understand or see this? Baffling to me. It is so blinking obvious.

TheRam

Coach
Having spent $150mill on hbf park that ship has sailed sadly.

Doubtful. Governments waste money all the freakin time. It all depends how much leg work and intelligent strategizing the NRL can do in the corridors of WA Gov. You know like the AFL have been doing in all Australian States including down in Canberra.

Pollies love to feel special and a junket or two. The NRL once again is way behind the AFL in lets call it "looking after" Government. It has been well reported over the years how the AFL basically have permanent lobbyists pushing the AFL agenda and looking after their interests. The NRL has virtually done none of this. Again is it any surprise to anyone that the AFL is looked at so favourably even in the non AFL traditional States? When will, if ever the NRL wake up!

And Governments have responded in kind.

reanimate

Bench
On tenanting of the new SFS, I see souths going there in 2023 meaning it will have roosters, souths, Waratahs and Sydney FC full time.

I believe that ultimately Manly will move there close to full time with only a couple of retro games at Brookvale. I can also see a world where saints take their Sydney based home games there as well.

If any of those scenarios do happen what we need to do is ensure reciprocal members rights for fixtures between those teams at the SFS. Roosters/souths for example should never get under 30k there under that scenario, make it an event. That might entice a club like the sharks to take a game or 2 there as well. It also allows those clubs a bit more flexibility to take other games to the bush or perth etc. knowing that their members will still have access to 12 games at the SFS.
Maybe for high drawing Saturday or Sunday games. It’s unfeasible for Thursday and Friday games thanks to the travel time involved.

siv

First Grade
So it looks like the old on grass ang gold members car parks are going underground in time for the new SFS

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Still deciding what they’ll do by sound of it.

New South Wales state premier Dominic Perrottet has confirmed he will push support for suburban grounds over big stadiums.

It has been something of a controversial issue in NRL circles, with the government previously committing to redevelopments of both the Sydney Football Stadium and Stadium Australia.

While the Sydney Football Stadium - home of the Sydney Roosters in the NRL and multiple other clubs in various sporting competitions - is currently being rebuilt from the ground up, the planned mega renovations of Stadium Australiaat Homebush has been seemingly pulled from the table.

The planned rebuild of the former Olympic Stadium, which is only a little over 20 years old, drew debate and criticism from all corners of the state and nation.

Instead, the government and NRL are now set to work on a stadium policy which will favour suburban grounds and other versions of the most recently completed Western Sydney Stadium, now known as CommBank Stadium and home of the Parramatta Eels.

It had been previously understood that the historic Jubilee Oval at Kogarah was among the grounds at the top of the redevelopment list, however, that focus now seems to have shifted to Brookvale, Penrith and a new ground at Liverpool, according to a The Daily Telegraph report.

Liverpool would need to be an entirely new facility, while Brookvale and Penrith would be redevelopment.

It's been previously mentioned a Liverpool-based facility could host both the Wests Tigers and Canterbury Bulldogs in the NRL, while the new Macarthur A-League team would also play out of the venue.

Dominic Perrottet has mentioned however that facilities - redeveloped or new - would cater for multiple sports to ensure maximum usage.

“As a diehard Wests Tigers fan, I appreciate there is nothing like watching a match from one of our iconic suburban stadiums,” Perrottet said.

“We’re committed to revitalising sporting stadiums across Sydney to make sure they are match-fit for the community’s changing needs.”

“Any redevelopments would need to include the creation of multi-use facilities that benefit as many people and local communities as possible, and a final business case for the work would need to stack up before we’d consider going ahead.

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V'Landys has previously spoken of his desire to have games at suburban grounds, with fans walking away from bigger venues, Stadium Australia in particular often struggling to generate atmosphere when sitting over 75 per cent empty for a majority of regular-season games played at the venue.

“Having families in Sydney attend suburban grounds is imperative to the future popularity of the game,” V’landys told the publication.

“That’s what tribalism is about. Suburban grounds have an important role to play and should be upgraded for today’s entertainment venue standards.”

Jamberoo

Juniors
“Any redevelopments would need to include the creation of multi-use facilities that benefit as many people and local communities as possible, and a final business case for the work would need to stack up before we’d consider going ahead."

Tough for a stadium to be profitable with one tenant let alone half a tenant. So Kogarah has no chance. There is going to be a lot more scrutiny on government spending going forward, reckon you would need both Wests and Dogs plus Macarthur to sign on as full time tenants for Liverpool to be any chance.

MugaB

Coach
“Any redevelopments would need to include the creation of multi-use facilities that benefit as many people and local communities as possible, and a final business case for the work would need to stack up before we’d consider going ahead."

Tough for a stadium to be profitable with one tenant let alone half a tenant. So Kogarah has no chance. There is going to be a lot more scrutiny on government spending going forward, reckon you would need both Wests and Dogs plus Macarthur to sign on as full time tenants for Liverpool to be any chance.
MacArthur Bulls will be a no brainer, Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs well they own the proposed land i think, so they would be the ACTUAL tenants, but wests... good luck

mongoose

Coach

Would be ideal of the Sharkies played some games there, Sydney FC and even Souths.

T-Boon

Coach
if you believe the rubbish on the news yea it is

but
it isn't ...
what moron would lock 40K fans out of its grand final ?

more likely it will host a prelim if a Sydney team gets the right to host one

I am okay with locking out fans. So long as they give the vast majority of tickets to fans of the finalists. I know a bunch of people who go to the GF every year and no other game. I'd like them to be locked out. Maybe they will chose to go to a semi final and we can get some capacity crowds at them or maybe they will go to a club game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doubtful. Governments waste money all the freakin time. It all depends how much leg work and intelligent strategizing the NRL can do in the corridors of WA Gov. You know like the AFL have been doing in all Australian States including down in Canberra.

Pollies love to feel special and a junket or two. The NRL once again is way behind the AFL in lets call it "looking after" Government. It has been well reported over the years how the AFL basically have permanent lobbyists pushing the AFL agenda and looking after their interests. The NRL has virtually done none of this. Again is it any surprise to anyone that the AFL is looked at so favourably even in the non AFL traditional States? When will, if ever the NRL wake up!

And Governments have responded in kind.
We really dont need a new stadium, and spending $350mill on one Isnt good use of our money when for $100mill hbf park will be sorted and we’ll have a quality 25k ish all seating stadium with 80% of seats under cover and new corporate facilities. It’s in a good location, better than optus in some ways, as it’s a good short pub crawl from the city. Not that id say no if they said they were building a 30k new one at Burswood!

I am okay with locking out fans. So long as they give the vast majority of tickets to fans of the finalists. I know a bunch of people who go to the GF every year and no other game. I'd like them to be locked out. Maybe they will chose to go to a semi final and we can get some capacity crowds at them or maybe they will go to a club game.
that won't happen , it'll be a drastically reduced amount to members of the finalists , a smaller amount to the general public too
corporates will be looked after as per usual. Thats what you'd get if they played it in a ground half the size.
The biggest games should always be played at the biggest venues to get the biggest possible amount of people in.
This new stadium will only ever be good enough for a prelim.