What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Be good to just concentrate on filling SFS occasionally. Smith when the original stadium deal was being negotiated tried to convince clubs to give up home games so the NRL could schedule and market blockbusters and double headers 's in the best time slots at a new SFS. Sadly the unambitious clubs couldn't see the opportunity and dug their heels in, but but but tribalism as they draw 12k crowds.
Sydney clubs are killing the game with their narrow-mindedness and archaic ways.

It's Been Done

Juniors
We've had plenty of great ANZAC Day clashes against the Chooks at the old SFS, still fondly remember the 2015 game in the hail, and being squished in the concourse when play was stopped, that concourse was bad enough when there were 15k there, but that day was an experience I'd rather forget. At least we won a great wet weather game

Rod Coil

Juniors
The 1987 GF was my favourite moment at SFS. I was there for both that & the Origin kick by O'Connor. Both great games & finishes.
* My mistake - 1989 gf - Canberra vs Balmain. Am watching a 1988 game on Kayo right now & realised I got the year wrong.

Dolphin Oval is better. The new Seagulls stadium at Kitchener Park will probably be better too.

ballymore-masterplan.jpg

ballymore-redevelopment-concept-1.jpg

Last edited:

It's Been Done

Juniors

ReddFelon

Juniors
Would not be surprised if the Reds move most, if not all of their games back to Ballymore once that's completed
They've already said that's not happening. Ballymore will be a permanent training ground for the Reds, Reds Women and state 7s, as well as the home of Premier Grade club rugby.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Mine was when we thrashed the Cowboys in front of 37,000 Cronulla fans to progress to the GF in 2016
I unfortunately missed it as I was in Melbourne on my honeymoon and was at the MCG watching the Swans thrash Geelong.

Seen it heaps of times since though.

The weekend after that was the most bittersweet of my life (Swans losing to the Bulldogs and the Sharkies finally ending 50 years of hurt to finally lift the trophy).

Colk

First Grade
I unfortunately missed it as I was in Melbourne on my honeymoon and was at the MCG watching the Swans thrash Geelong.

Seen it heaps of times since though.

The weekend after that was the most bittersweet of my life (Swans losing to the Bulldogs and the Sharkies finally ending 50 years of hurt to finally lift the trophy).

Hang on. You follow fumbleball?

Colk

First Grade
Super League was essentially just Bronco league. Notwithstanding, from any objective viewpoint, it would be clearly obvious that the Broncos would have won any combined competition by the length of the straight. The fact that they did exactly that the year after should be good enough evidence for everybody.

Super League was essentially just Bronco league. Notwithstanding, from any objective viewpoint, it would be clearly obvious that the Broncos would have won any combined competition by the length of the straight. The fact that they did exactly that the year after should be good enough evidence for everybody.
100% However I won’t argue with Donkeys in that SL had the better playing talent but it certainly didn’t make it the better comp. SL was an American wannabe show. They even encouraged players to make a big deal of try celebrations if memory serves. The ARL was more genuine with genuine rivalries, far less predictable and gave us one of the great GFs.

horrie hastings

First Grade
How will they fit in up to 40k with not a lot of room around the stadium to expand?

Not a lot of wiggle room, there was talk of building over the bowling club at the northern end of the ground, they could also build a stand out over the road at the southern end but unless they really update the two current grandstands to a bigger capacity building at the northern and southern ends would only increase the capacity to around 25,000.

horrie hastings

First Grade
How will they fit in up to 40k with not a lot of room around the stadium to expand?

The other thing is being talked as a tier 2 venue say for a music festival the capacity would be higher if they use the grassed areas, the venue stand wise now seats just a tick over 20,000 so maybe they are talking about extra capacity by using the grass area/playing field for music events, i don't know really, its just a guess.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Some great memories from the SFS, the Monday night game beating Brisbane in 1996, Junee's try then Andrew Gees infamous tap in the front of the posts and also the final beating the Knights to get into the Grand Final in 2000, which is probably my favourite, what a night that was, Freddy's intercept and Andrew Johns throwing his mouth guard on the ground in disgust.
Also the final game there, the preliminary final against Souths to get into the Grand Final in 2018 with every seat gone.