What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

It's basically 100% residential and you'd want more than a couple pubs within walking distance.

Ideally any new stadium should be built in or on the edge of a town centre, not in the middle of a suburb, and preferably a town centre central to the city as a whole.

In saying that Civic is basically a no go and planned development in Woden means that there almost certainly won't be room there either. So that's the two most central town centres gone, leaving Belco, Tuggers, and Gungahlin, none of which are ideal.

The whole situation is pretty f**ked for rectangular sports at this point to be honest. On the other hand oval sports are going to come out smelling rosy considering that they can just upgrade either Manuka or Phillip given time...

its all a bit crap hey

the best option to me seems to be rarther than build a new stadium, renovate bruce but also maybe ACT Govt put in some extra shops and restaraunts and bars at that area somehow.

i have no idea how you would do that though

TheRam

Coach
I can't believe Auckland has done nothing as far as the on again off again waterfront city harbour stadium.

If they ever were to build it then Auckland would become a must go to destination for a lot of sports loving fans.

Build it and they will come.

TheRam

Coach
I'm hoping that Christchurch's new indoor footy stadium embarrasses them enough to maybe pull their finger out and realise Eden Park sucks location wise and rectangular sports wise and finally bite the bullet and build the Waterfront one ffs!

We can live in hope I suppose.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not long now before we have the approve the final contract for the project, which will also contain the final and total price of the stadium. Anyone who thinks a 2nd NZ RL team should be anywhere but Christchurch once this is up and running by mid 2025 has rocks in their head.

View attachment 61759

View attachment 61758
Rugby union mad city with only 400k people in it. Yep sounds great spot for an NRL club lol, Nice stadium though, should def host some Warriors games.

its all a bit crap hey

the best option to me seems to be rarther than build a new stadium, renovate bruce but also maybe ACT Govt put in some extra shops and restaraunts and bars at that area somehow.

i have no idea how you would do that though
Bruce doesn't even have any shops , theres a tiny convenience store & thats it. You want groceries , or booze or toilet paper , you have to go to the Belco town centre or Kaleen . Its quite ridiculous tbh

TheRam

Coach
Rugby union mad city with only 400k people in it. Yep sounds great spot for an NRL club lol, Nice stadium though, should def host some Warriors games.

Mate Christchurch is a sports loving city way more so then Wellington. They will get behind any team that is winning just like most other cities in the world.

The trick is to be better at it then those perennial losers back in Auckland who haven't got a clue. Imagine having that much talent surrounding you and the best you can do is 2 GF appearances and the rest of your existence mostly out of the top 8? That is a record that is even worse then Parra's. How embarrassing.

Anyway success on the field is the key with any RL franchise in NZ and the stadium is the cream that guarantees large crowds most games even in inclement weather. Something that Mount Smart or Eden Park can't provide. As for Wellingtons Cake Dish Stadium, it should be lobbed back into the oven and melted down and replaced with a decent built for purpose rectangular stadium if they want to play a part in the NRL. The NRL is now slowly approaching the envious position of being able to dictate terms on the type and quality of the venue that a team/city is going to play out of. This is what should have been the case all along. Finally we are getting there.

The ARLC and Peter Vlandys, once all the lobbying and paperwork is signed off on, should play it smart and hard with the ACT pollies and start to make noise on a rectangular roofed stadium in Canberra. Then also your city Perth and start agitating for a Parra style stadium. To play out of a redeveloped HBF stadium when the other mob play out of the Taj Mahal is like being the neglected and abused step child. The ARLC should make it clear that unless we get a brand new Stadium then Perth won't be getting an NRL team. Vlandys needs to partner up with Soccer and Rugby and they should all lobby hard for this. These are the battles that the RL should be fighting. When I say fighting I don't necessarily mean be antagonistic, but use whatever means and tactics that will get us a positive result. There are many ways to persuade Governments to stump up cash for amenities, both public and private strategies. The AFL has perfected them, we just need a smart and strong leader to emulate them and get results.

Team quality and stadium quality in the right location are the two greatest influences of crowd and fan participation. If any team including Christchurch get that right you can bank on their success and consider them to be as safe as houses.

Christchurch will have at least managed and actually excelled at one of the two, which is one more then the Warriors ever have and as for any other city in NZ, well they would be starting out with zero and we will be praying that they can get the team right at least and not become another embarrassing Warriors for the NRL.

In fact if the Auckland/NZ pollies can't commit to a brand new Waterfront Stadium by the time the Christchurch Stadium is up and running, I would threaten them with a Warriors relocation to Christchurch until a stadium is built. But hey that's me, I do whatever it takes to get my sport the best outcome and a Warriors relocation to the new fancy-schmancy stadium would be a great outcome for both the game and the new fans in Christchurch. And before you start howling about the poor fans back in Auckland, well they are hardly coming out in droves to watch them even when they were playing back home. Mount Smart is a dump and only the hard core fans generally turn up.

The sports business is very tough and competitive and very hard decisions sometimes need to be made. Look at my NFL team the Rams, we left(thank God) St Louis for LA to play out of the world best stadium. Well Christchurch will have NZ's best stadium. It would be madness to not have a RL tenant and the Warriors could be that team at least until Auckland came to their senses.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Having spent $155 mill on hbf park so far they aren’t abandoning it to build a $300mill one sadly. New west stand and roof over south stand and hbf park will be a very nice venue.

flippikat

Bench
I can't believe Auckland has done nothing as far as the on again off again waterfront city harbour stadium.

If they ever were to build it then Auckland would become a must go to destination for a lot of sports loving fans.

It is absolutely SHAMEFUL that our one true big city doesn't have a dedicated, modern rectangular stadium (preferably roofed for concerts etc too) & a dedicated, modern cricket oval.

If this was America, the Warriors owners would be threatening to relocate to another city - Auckland council's saving grace is that no other city in NZ comes close for population.

Ideally we'd have developed & PLANNED another 1 or 2 cities of approx 1 million each, with decent infrastructure by now... our economy, hell our whole country is too imbalanced by Auckland's dominance, population wise.

Colk

First Grade
It is absolutely SHAMEFUL that our one true big city doesn't have a dedicated, modern rectangular stadium (preferably roofed for concerts etc too) & a dedicated, modern cricket oval.

If this was America, the Warriors owners would be threatening to relocate to another city - Auckland council's saving grace is that no other city in NZ comes close for population.

Ideally we'd have developed & PLANNED another 1 or 2 cities of approx 1 million each, with decent infrastructure by now... our economy, hell our whole country is too imbalanced by Auckland's dominance, population wise.

NZ’s population is what 1/3 Auckland?

Colk

First Grade

What a shame. That stadium would have been incredible!

flippikat

Bench
NZ’s population is what 1/3 Auckland?

Just under 30%.

NZ population a tad over 5 mil, just under 1.5mil in Auckland.

Ideally we'd have planned 1 million population cities in Auckland, Hamilton (which would be my choice of a safe from disaster capital city), Christchurch & a fourth location (I'd suggest somewhere near New Plymouth - developed as a major port city trading with Australia), plus planned cities of between 150k & 300k in Wellington, Hamilton, Hawkes Bay, Blenheim & Dunedin.

Get our population over 10mil so we have a real domestic market, with some decent sized regional centres & a few more huge cities based around ports (and a land transport hub/capital in Hamilton).. and get the capital away from a major ticking time bomb of a fault line.

Colk

First Grade
Just under 30%.

NZ population a tad over 5 mil, just under 1.5mil in Auckland.

Ideally we'd have planned 1 million population cities in Auckland, Hamilton (which would be my choice of a safe from disaster capital city), Christchurch & a fourth location (I'd suggest somewhere near New Plymouth - developed as a major port city trading with Australia), plus planned cities of between 150k & 300k in Wellington, Hamilton, Hawkes Bay, Blenheim & Dunedin.

Get our population over 10mil so we have a real domestic market, with some decent sized regional centres & a few more huge cities based around ports (and a land transport hub/capital in Hamilton).. and get the capital away from a major ticking time bomb of a fault line.

Hmm how big is Hamilton again? That’s not a bad place for a nice sized city. New Plymouth as well.

If you ever got to that, you could have at least 3 maybe 4 NRL teams, particularly with that population

Latest posts