What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Iamback

Coach
Yeah you're right, I've only been a season ticket holder every year since 2002 and a Rabbitohs member since 1999, and go to on average 12 games per year. Definitely not a real supporter.

Heck I'd say anyone on a bloody NRL internet forum at 3pm on a Tuesday is a fair dinkum supporter.

Great post.

People think because we live in Sydney, that we should watch every game. Which is just nonsense

Iamback

Coach
again to be fair you are not the fan we are talking about, if its taking the majority of fans 1hr 45min to get to game then the club is def playing in the wrong spot! But I'd wager for clubs a 60min travel radius would reach the majority of their fanbase.

That is the system though. Especially the rail system.

Richmond is 20 mins drive from Penrith but 2 trains, so pushes it out

yobbo84

First Grade
again to be fair you are not the fan we are talking about, if its taking the majority of fans 1hr 45min to get to game then the club is def playing in the wrong spot! But I'd wager for clubs a 60min travel radius would reach the majority of their fanbase.
I'm talking public transport. The majority of stadiums in Sydney would take 60+ mins to get to by public transport for more than 50% of people I would guess.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm talking public transport. The majority of stadiums in Sydney would take 60+ mins to get to by public transport for more than 50% of people I would guess.
I doubt it. taking a 60min public transport radius from a stadium covers massive population areas. Around a 20-30km radius depending on train links. Draw a 30km circle around the stadiums on a map and see how many live in that radius, it would be a lot of people. I jumped on a train from central to parra the other week and it took me 25mins.

I live around 26km from Optus/HBF park, takes me around 50mins public transport door to door, not something that would stop me going to games to support my club just 12 times a year.

Iamback

Coach
I doubt it. taking a 60min public transport radius from a stadium covers massive population areas. Around a 20-30km radius depending on train links. Draw a 30km circle around the stadiums on a map and see how many live in that radius, it would be a lot of people. I jumped on a train from central to parra the other week and it took me 25mins.

Again not at 10pm.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again not at 10pm.
Don't disagree at all, as I've said games should not be finishing at 10pm, its ridiculous and unnecessary. We can thank the idiots that signed off on a 6pm game, and ch9 on a Thursday, for that rubbish!
But that's a scheduling issue, not a stadium location or public transport issue. And again using dogs as example they only have one night game this season so that wouldn't be a factor for dogs fans getting to commbank.

Iamback

Coach
Don't disagree at all, as I've said games should not be finishing at 10pm, its ridiculous and unnecessary. We can thank the idiots that signed off on a 6pm game, and ch9 on a Thursday, for that rubbish!
But that's a scheduling issue, not a stadium location or public transport issue. And again using dogs as example they only have one night game this season so that wouldn't be a factor for dogs fans getting to commbank.

That is where the money is

Frank Burge

Juniors
Yeah you're right, I've only been a season ticket holder every year since 2002 and a Rabbitohs member since 1999, and go to on average 12 games per year. Definitely not a real supporter.

Heck I'd say anyone on a bloody NRL internet forum at 3pm on a Tuesday is a fair dinkum supporter.
People that make excuses not to go , if you go to 12 games a year where in my description did you think I was talking about you

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is where the money is
I doubt there is much subscription difference, in fact I doubt there is any, if Fox show the game at 6pm Sunday instead of 6pm Friday. People arent getting rid of their kayo subscriptions because the Friday 6pm game is played Sunday 6pm instead!
And I doubt it makes an iota of difference to Ch9 if they KO off at 7.15 on a Friday rather than 7.55. With all the game stoppages these days for VR and capts challenges the idea you'd extend the HT from 10min to 15-20mins is even stupider! Games are now taking 2 hours. Start them earlier and make them last 90mins not 120mins!

siv

First Grade
I know trusting the internet is a dangerous thing but cant you get a straight train from Canterbury to Lidcombe? Then a 12min train Lidcombe to Parra. Last leg walk and get something to eat or 5min tram when its open. All up around 60min depending on connections. Of course ideally Tigers and Bulldogs would be sharing a stadium somewhere 30mins or so from both main supporter bases but that doesnt look like a reality any time soon sadly.

View attachment 64998
Not after the metro opens

siv

First Grade
But what it does do

Is make driving a very important way to travel to games for people who dont live within a close distance of inner city public transport

And thats a good 50% of the game fan base

Not to mention - almost every weekend these days seems to always have trackwork

Or railworkers going on strike

Perth Red

Post Whore
But what it does do

Is make driving a very important way to travel to games for people who dont live within a close distance of inner city public transport

And thats a good 50% of the game fan base

Not to mention - almost every weekend these days seems to always have trackwork

Or railworkers going on strike
except I keep being told what a nightmare driving around Sydney is at anytime, and thats before you find a parking spot. Driving is never, I repeat NEVER, a good solution for large scale events of 20k plus people! Every major city in the world knows this, yet you think in Sydney its a good idea?
I very much doubt 50% of supporters (ie people who will attend a game) of these clubs live outside a 30km radius of the stadium. Even if you only went 20km radius from commbank or Allianz you'd be covering over half of Sydneys population from either stadium. I mean we aren't talking huge distances here!

Last edited:
Horse shit, as per usual.
You use one example of a train ride, not the public transport system, and everyone in Sydney knows that they have fast trains between central and Parra.
From where I live it takes anywhere from 12-20 mins by car to Shark Park, yet 63 mins by public transport.
SFS anywhere between 25-40mins by car, 70 mins on the quickest public transport.
Not everyone lives on the top of train stations, you are just gauging train rides from station to station without factoring in people who have to use multiple forms of public transport.
You do not know Sydney and the public transport at all. You always use one aspect of any topic you talk about and think its gospel.
I lived in Perth long before you had ever been to Australia. Perth is a country town which has been set up very well for public transport. Sydney's city planning has been a shambles from the start, and still is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You use one example of a train ride, not the public transport system, and everyone in Sydney knows that they have fast trains between central and Parra.
From where I live it takes anywhere from 12-20 mins by car to Shark Park, yet 63 mins by public transport.
SFS anywhere between 25-40mins by car, 70 mins on the quickest public transport.
Not everyone lives on the top of train stations, you are just gauging train rides from station to station without factoring in people who have to use multiple forms of public transport.
You do not know Sydney and the public transport at all. You always use one aspect of any topic you talk about and think its gospel.
I lived in Perth long before you had ever been to Australia. Perth is a country town which has been set up very well for public transport. Sydney's city planning has been a shambles from the start, and still is.
yeh I get sydney is sht, you keep telling us enough times. and yeh Perth is far superior in most ways I agree, why I chose to live here and not Sydney.
Most people live 20km or less from a stadium. Trains are frequent and cover the city mostly. If you cant be arsed you'll always find an excuse I guess is the moral of the story.

Iamback

Coach

To be fair as nice as the harbour is. It really ruins getting around

yobbo84

First Grade

I live around 26km from Optus/HBF park, takes me around 50mins public transport door to door, not something that would stop me going to games to support my club just 12 times a year.
I'm about 21km to Accor Stadium, and as I said, 1hr 30 min at least by public transport.

You don't understand Sydney trains. It's a shambles if you're not on a direct line - you basically have to head into the city, then out again.

To be fair as nice as the harbour is. It really ruins getting around
Yeh, divides the city but the many problems are historical. Given its birth as the first penal settlement, it’s the only unplanned city in Australia. The settlers just kept adding as the town grew but at no stage was there ever a plan for a big city built on a grid system. Makes living here interesting and frustrating in equal measure