What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Iamback

Coach
Yeah, the NRL not accepting an extended GF deal hasn't got anything to do with it.

There was always going to be members that push for further cuts, and they'll continue to do so even if the NRL had given Sydney the GF for the next century.

Garbage, NRL comes across as greedy.

MugaB

Coach
Garbage, NRL comes across as greedy.
Thats BS, greed has nothing to do with this, it's about following thru with promises made, now if the govt said no to suburban stadium funding, but we are going to fix up homebush as per the original agreement, then fair enough, but they've just flat out said we're not doing either... maybe just penrith, if ever

Everything about politics is dirty, and NSW politics is the dirtiest of them all. No PM in Australia gets elected without the backing of the NSW ALP, or LNP Rights. It's how it has worked forever.
You can be guaranteed the PVL is working behind the scenes with the ALP. forget what they have said in the media, none of them ever hold up to what they say, case in point this Stadium debacle.
The ALP lost the people they were supposed to represent, the working class, a long time ago. If any have worked on construction and building sites they will know that the majority do not join Unions anymore and are on the whole Liberal Party voters.
An angle for example:
New stadium infrastructure means jobs. Jobs in construction for the working man, and woman of course. In turn, a chance for the Labor Party to win back some of the lost voters.
Politicians will do anything to be in power, they are all nerds that wanted to be rock stars.
PVL will be playing them, look at the Qld Premier, Anastasia Palecek, she's been all gushy about Peter. Others will do the same.
There are many more chapters in this story to go.

MugaB

Coach
Exactly. Leichhardt should be bottom of any funding proposal. It’s not good enough for a professional competition.Just pick a couple of stadiums to fund. We already have SFS, Commbank, Accor that should be be able to be used by more than half of the sides in Sydney anyway
The issue with leichardt isn't about fixing for NRLs Wests Tigers to use, its to fix it up period for all codes and lower grade teams to use, as we saw last week RU game packed out for junior school boy union, its in use a lot, and not all these games can be played at SFS, due to either cost or timeslot, not saying it has to be leichardt oval that has to be essential for NRL, coz its not, but its in use a lot more than people think, and its amenities have become a shambles

Iamback

Coach
Thats BS, greed has nothing to do with this, it's about following thru with promises made, now if the govt said no to suburban stadium funding, but we are going to fix up homebush as per the original agreement, then fair enough, but they've just flat out said we're not doing either... maybe just penrith, if ever

Where did they say it was never going to happen?

Just that it had to be spread out, How far apart? Does NRL going them halves speed it up?
there were other ways to handle it rather than put stuff in the media to try and bully them.

Here we sit a month later, Sydney has the GF but funding not locked in, Further funding may get cut... So I don't see how the NRL thought it was going any other way

Perth Red

Post Whore
facilities for local community don't need $50 or $100mill spending on them, the Vlandys "its for the community" rhetoric is BS, I mean he lost the argument on day one when he started spouting about needing new stadiums for kids mental health and getting them off their computers, whilst at the same time cutting $30mill spending out of grassroots and development last year!

Steel Saints

Juniors
facilities for local community don't need $50 or $100mill spending on them, the Vlandys "its for the community" rhetoric is BS, I mean he lost the argument on day one when he started spouting about needing new stadiums for kids mental health and getting them off their computers, whilst at the same time cutting $30mill spending out of grassroots and development last year!

But wasn't grassroots in lockdown last year? Or a good portion of it.

Iamback

Coach
Okay…

That’s totally irrelevant to what I said, so what exactly is garbage?

What is the Government getting from building 3 professional clubs are CoE?

It gives them no advantage against States that aren't doing that, So why not just outbid those other states and save a few hundred Million dollars

Iamback

Coach
The Govt always said it would be a rolling program. They had only just announced Penrith, the smart move would have been to work with the Govt on 'ok whose next and when do we announce it'. Not spit the dummy and go to war with them.

That is it. It was never going to be done at the same time, The lack of skilled labour was going to make sure of it.
The crew that built SFS will go on to Penrith. Then could be moved on to the smaller projects really has been handled poorly

The Great Dane

First Grade
What is the Government getting from building 3 professional clubs are CoE?

It gives them no advantage against States that aren't doing that, So why not just outbid those other states and save a few hundred Million dollars
This also fails to address to what I said…

BTW, the taxpayer shouldn’t be paying for COEs at all in my opinion, so yeah.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The only thing NRl needs to be worried about right now is not losing the Penrith stadium!
This is going to be a controversial opinion around here, but f**k Penrith stadium.

It was a classic case of pork barreling that never should have got up in the first place, and the NRL and Panthers will get on just fine without it in a few years time when the bandwagon drops off again.

Tiger Shark

Bench
That is it. It was never going to be done at the same time, The lack of skilled labour was going to make sure of it.
The crew that built SFS will go on to Penrith. Then could be moved on to the smaller projects really has been handled poorly
I dont think anyone thought otherwise. If they went ahead committed money to the Sharks I wasn't expecting any significant works till the 2024/25 season potentially.

Iamback

Coach
I dont think anyone thought otherwise. If they went ahead committed money to the Sharks I wasn't expecting any significant works till the 2024/25 season potentially.

100% which is why I didn't see the big fuss from the Premier's comments, Certainly not to the stage it now is

Steel Saints

Juniors
no, only in NSW for part of the year, everywhere else in Aus and NZ was operating normally.

More than half of NRL teams come from NSW. No point spending money on grassroots, if grassroots are not allowed to play.

However, it will be interesting if funding of juniors goes back to a similar level pre Covid.