What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

azza29

Juniors
Was at AAMI Park tonight, ground has a definite “under construction” vibe with a fair bit of scaffolding and sheeting around the place. One screen is completely gone, hopefully the replacement is installed quickly as the remaining one isn’t visible from half the seats. I had imagined all of these upgrades would be done prior to rugby season but clearly wrong there. On the plus side the food outlets have had a refresh including some new menu items - meatball sub seemed popular.

On another note, Victory supporters don’t seem content to just destroy the stadium seating, noticed at least three loos missing their seats, that’s a new one…

214Four

Juniors
Definitely. I can't get my head around the suggestion. They are iconic, a massive part of the ground.
You guys talk like this has not happened before. I'm literally stating how I hope that the government will do this again in the future.

Regarding the stands being heritage listed. Heritage listing does not eliminate the opportunity to relocation, a heritage listed building in Parramattas new powerhouse museum site was being looked at being moved or relocated. Unfortunately during covid news on this died and it was demolished.

You guys talk like this has not happened before. I'm literally stating how I hope that the government will do this again in the future.

Regarding the stands being heritage listed. Heritage listing does not eliminate the opportunity to relocation, a heritage listed building in Parramattas new powerhouse museum site was being looked at being moved or relocated. Unfortunately during covid news on this died and it was demolished.
Ah yes, I remember this now and probably would’ve generated more protests if the world wasn’t preoccupied as it was at the time. I think moving the the members stand would trigger a lot of protest but not impossible you alluded.

Bukowski

Juniors

It's just not gonna happen.

Bukowski

Juniors
The ugliness and ordinariness of some of the newer SCG stands is the real issue. They f**ked the beauty of that ground.
The O'Reily stand need to go. It really stands out with the scoreboard in strange spot.
What happened to the old scoreboard? Wasn't that to be relocated?

horrie hastings

First Grade
The O'Reily stand need to go. It really stands out with the scoreboard in strange spot.

The O'Reilly stand and also the Brewongle and Clive Churchill stands are so out dated now but the O Reilly should be the first to go in any redevelopment.

There is mention in this link that the three above mentioned stands will be redeveloped at a later stage.

It's Been Done

Juniors
That's the old departures board from the main concourse of Central Station, two years younger than the scoreboard, it's another great piece of history.
The old scoreboard is in the Powerhouse Museum
Last I heard the old Scoreboard is in a warehouse in Parramatta and is still in pretty good condition apparently
The O'Reilly stand and also the Brewongle and Clive Churchill stands are so out dated now but the O Reilly should be the first to go in any redevelopment.

There is mention in this link that the three above mentioned stands will be redeveloped at a later stage.

The Brewongle and Churchill Stands will probably get refurbished soon now that the Swans have moved their offices and training facilities into the Royal Hall of Industries Building down the street. Prior to the SCG Trust being wound up, they said their next new stand was to be the O'Reilly Stand replacement but they switched their focus to New Allianz instead and the political storm from that rebuild means it's unlikely any significant money will be poured into the Moore Park venues anytime soon

Wb1234

Referee

Valheru

Coach
Saw something in passing regarding a new A league team for Canberra. Hopefully they can leverage for a better rectangular stadium down there.
This has long been heralded as the final piece of the puzzle with year round use between 3 tenants providing a good business case.

Unfortunately it is likely to require a change of government as Andrew Barr is obsessed with the light rail and hates any sport that isn't named AFL. The chances of Labor not winning an election in the short to medium term in Canberra is low.

Vibing

Juniors
This has long been heralded as the final piece of the puzzle with year round use between 3 tenants providing a good business case.

Unfortunately it is likely to require a change of government as Andrew Barr is obsessed with the light rail and hates any sport that isn't named AFL. The chances of Labor not winning an election in the short to medium term in Canberra is low.
Barr is copping a lot of pressure from everyone re the stadium including noises from the Albanese Govt to present a business case to the feds for assistance from them to get it built.
So things are developing & looking more promising then they did 6 months ago

Stormy weather

Juniors
Canberra and Auckland, two places that could do with a new stadium. NRL should be all over this.
Good luck with that, Auckland needs a new rugby stadium. Share it between the Warriors, Blues and All Blacks. Have it big enough to replace Eden Park and host big events but also have it so it’s easy to close off the top deck and host smaller crowds.

They also need a new cricket ground as it’s a joke that they can’t host tests in the biggest city in the country.