What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Pneuma

First Grade
Barr's main focus is for his legacy for Canberra to have a rail network. It's that simple. All he wants is for when he leaves office is for the ACT light rail network to be a multi-line transport network. That is where the bulk of the funding is going. The ACT has a 16-9 ALP/Green-Coalition split in the assembly. There has not been a Coalition Chief Minister since 1998 and if anything the terrirory is skewing more towards the ALP and the Greens. There is not going to be a change of government any time soon. You can say what you like about Barr, the AFL and the stadium issue but it's clearly not going to move the needle for ACT voters.

One of the issues I see is despite all of the doom and gloom, the government keeps stressing the stadium is structurally sound. It may not be a state of the art facility anymore, but it's not going to collapse and kill anyone. I think the most likely outcome at this point is as more AIS land is sold off money will go into creating an entertainment precinct in Bruce for before/after game atmosphere and that the light rail line from Civic to Belconnen will go via this precinct to enhance transport links. They'll then find $30-50 million to fix any major safety issues at Bruce and then do minor upgrades with what is left over.

The fact they announced earlier this year they were building a new big screen and replacing all of the monitors in the stadium at a cost of several million dollars was the final nail in the coffin for me that there was any intention of building a new venue. It's not going to happen, we just need to accept it and move on.
This is a really good post

It’s hard to understand the canberra govt reticence Tbh. If little old hobart can seriously consider funding a new stadium why on earth can’t canberra? Its getting to the point they’ll have the worse stadium in the country for a decent sized city with professional clubs.
Because Barr is like you .
a fumbleball loving twit who pretends to care about other sports but is only interested in furthering one .

Wb1234

Referee
It’s hard to understand the canberra govt reticence Tbh. If little old hobart can seriously consider funding a new stadium why on earth can’t canberra? Its getting to the point they’ll have the worse stadium in the country for a decent sized city with professional clubs.
Arlc should get involved

all stars tests etc

Wb1234

Referee
Barr's main focus is for his legacy for Canberra to have a rail network. It's that simple. All he wants is for when he leaves office is for the ACT light rail network to be a multi-line transport network. That is where the bulk of the funding is going. The ACT has a 16-9 ALP/Green-Coalition split in the assembly. The Greens are also pro-light rail and they now hold significant sway in the assembly. There has not been a Coalition Chief Minister since 1998 and if anything the terrirory is skewing more towards the ALP and the Greens. There is not going to be a change of government any time soon. You can say what you like about Barr, the AFL and the stadium issue but it's clearly not going to move the needle for ACT voters.

One of the issues I see is despite all of the doom and gloom, the government keeps stressing the stadium is structurally sound. It may not be a state of the art facility anymore, but it's not going to collapse and kill anyone. I think the most likely outcome at this point is as more AIS land is sold off money will go into creating an entertainment precinct in Bruce for before/after game atmosphere and that the light rail line from Civic to Belconnen will go via this precinct to enhance transport links. They'll then find $30-50 million to fix any major safety issues at Bruce and then do minor upgrades with what is left over.

The fact they announced earlier this year they were building a new big screen and replacing all of the monitors in the stadium at a cost of several million dollars was the final nail in the coffin for me that there was any intention of building a new venue. It's not going to happen, we just need to accept it and move on.
Yet they can find 3 million pa for a Sydney afl team to play 3 games a year

Timbo

Staff member
Arlc should get involved

all stars tests etc

I think you're overestimating the pull of the All-Stars or a Kangaroos test. Neither of them is going to make the ACT Government cough up $300 million for a stadium.

Yet they can find 3 million pa for a Sydney afl team to play 3 games a year

And? It would take 100 or so years of that level of funding to pay for a stadium. For a government that's basically discretionary funds.

I really just don't think people quite wrap their head around the issue in Canberra. Barr wants to be remembered as the Chief Minister who built Canberra a rapid transit network. He governs with the support of the Greens who are very pro-light rail and have it as one of the main reasons they support his government. At the last election the left wing vote actually increased, with much of that increase coming from the extremely pro-light rail Greens. This is literall what the people of Canberra are voting for when they go to the polls.

Going 'hey, abandon your main policy platform which is also what the Greens support and what the voters who elected you are in favour of and we'll give you an All-Stars game' - on what planet does that work?

This has nothing to do with Barr being an AFL fan. It has everything to do with him having all professional sport about tenth on his totem pole of priorities.

Wb1234

Referee
I think you're overestimating the pull of the All-Stars or a Kangaroos test. Neither of them is going to make the ACT Government cough up $300 million for a stadium.

And? It would take 100 or so years of that level of funding to pay for a stadium. For a government that's basically discretionary funds.

I really just don't think people quite wrap their head around the issue in Canberra. Barr wants to be remembered as the Chief Minister who built Canberra a rapid transit network. He governs with the support of the Greens who are very pro-light rail and have it as one of the main reasons they support his government. At the last election the left wing vote actually increased, with much of that increase coming from the extremely pro-light rail Greens. This is literall what the people of Canberra are voting for when they go to the polls.

Going 'hey, abandon your main policy platform which is also what the Greens support and what the voters who elected you are in favour of and we'll give you an All-Stars game' - on what planet does that work?

This has nothing to do with Barr being an AFL fan. It has everything to do with him having all professional sport about tenth on his totem pole of priorities.
Stadium would make revenue back and be a govt asset

the Sydney afl team don’t

paint it all you want the govt is pro afl

already close to 30 million spent on Sydney afl team

The Great Dane

First Grade

You mean the Minister that built the already archaic and outdated transit network that's more expensive, slower, and has a lower capacity than the bus network that's been decimated to make it possible.

We're going to be waiting a very long time before there's change in Canberra...

Timbo

Staff member
You mean the Minister that built the already archaic and outdated transit network that's more expensive, slower, and has a lower capacity than the bus network that's been decimated to make it possible.

We're going to be waiting a very long time before there's change in Canberra...

You can be upset about it all you like. But he basically has blinkers on when it comes to priorities. It’s light rail first, daylight second, everything else in the distance.

And with the way the ACT votes he has a mandate to do it.

It's Been Done

Juniors

The area around Canberra Stadium definitely needs something for pre and post game entertainment as well as non-match/event day revenue which is why Olympic Park in Sydney has been viewed by some as a failure, especially in the early post-Olympics days.

Regardless of the decision of whether or not to build a new stadium, Canberra Stadium 100% needs at least some investment to keep it up to scratch in all areas. If all else fails, the Raiders and the Brumbies can turn to the NSW government and ask about a stadium in Queanbeyan, there's a little bit of land around though Seiffert Oval is not a option due to a lack of available land there

Timbo

Staff member
The area around Canberra Stadium definitely needs something for pre and post game entertainment as well as non-match/event day revenue which is why Olympic Park in Sydney has been viewed by some as a failure, especially in the early post-Olympics days.

Regardless of the decision of whether or not to build a new stadium, Canberra Stadium 100% needs at least some investment to keep it up to scratch in all areas. If all else fails, the Raiders and the Brumbies can turn to the NSW government and ask about a stadium in Queanbeyan, there's a little bit of land around though Seiffert Oval is not a option due to a lack of available land there

The access at Queanbeyan isn’t great. It’s a long way from the population centres in Canberra.

It would have a seriously negative impact on crowds.

Billythekid

First Grade
Obviously stadiums shouldn’t be the first priority for government but Canberra risks getting left behind. Big events are less likely to want to take games to Canberra when there are so many other really high quality stadiums around the country.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Obviously stadiums shouldn’t be the first priority for government but Canberra risks getting left behind. Big events are less likely to want to take games to Canberra when there are so many other really high quality stadiums around the country.
It's already happened.

Basically all our major sports and entertainment infrastructure is obsolete or derelict, and major events that we would have drawn in the past have been dodging the city as a result.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
You can be upset about it all you like. But he basically has blinkers on when it comes to priorities. It’s light rail first, daylight second, everything else in the distance.

And with the way the ACT votes he has a mandate to do it.
Just saying he has a mandate over and over doesn't give an accurate reflection of the situation in Canberra. Nor does making statements suggesting that he's building a rapid transit network, something that is patently false, give an accurate reflection of the situation.

The ACT is effectively a one party state, we suffer from all the issues that come along with that, and we should be talking about it.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
It's an absolute joke. Of all the places that should be getting a quality central rectuangular stadium Canberra seems like the most obvious choice ever. It will soon have 3 professional sporting teams playing out of the stadium (even more if womens sport keeps on growing) and the potential to attract international sport as well. It's a disgrace that it hasn't happened yet.
With a quality 30k enclosed stadium they probably would have nabbed a Harry Styles, Pink, RHCP and Coldplay booking too. Canberra is a transient city with a very young (and well paid) population. I've lived here for three years now and am so shocked at how quiet it seems, but every restaurant etc is always filled with cashed up young people. They will attend a centralised stadium in droves.

Pneuma

First Grade
With a quality 30k enclosed stadium they probably would have nabbed a Harry Styles, Pink, RHCP and Coldplay booking too. Canberra is a transient city with a very young (and well paid) population. I've lived here for three years now and am so shocked at how quiet it seems, but every restaurant etc is always filled with cashed up young people. They will attend a centralised stadium in droves.
Same as it ever was. I travelled there for thirty years for work and can’t say I ever really liked the place.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Same as it ever was. I travelled there for thirty years for work and can’t say I ever really liked the place.
I live right on the lake here, so quite enjoy it. Having been in Melbourne CBD for 2019 I much prefer Canberra. Clean, easy to get around, and peaceful.

Moving back to Brisbane next year though.

Timbo

Staff member
Just saying he has a mandate over and over doesn't give an accurate reflection of the situation in Canberra. Nor does making statements suggesting that he's building a rapid transit network, something that is patently false, give an accurate reflection of the situation.

The ACT is effectively a one party state, we suffer from all the issues that come along with that, and we should be talking about it.

And you carrying on about it doesn't change the fact it's his priority. I don't really understand what your point is. I'd like a new stadium too, he clearly doesn't see it that way and neither do the people who keep him in power.

yeah that ship has left the dock. ohwell. we have the one train line. whoop