What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
The reality is the previous liberal govt has spent 1.5 billion on stadia and coe and there is only 800 million left to spend out of the total promised

the arlc owe nothing to the current labor govt for previous stadia builds

so to gain another 800 million in stadia by locking away the grand final for 25 years is a bad trade off

take what’s been done and sell it to the highest bidder is the best way to go from here

That was part of the development, knock down ET and incorporate COE and better corporate options

its now been dropped tho right?

Seems to me Cronullas mistake with the COE funding was trying to have it built on site IMO. if they had gone with an offsite precinct they would have got funding. as such, every other clubgot some and they didnt.

the dream was too big!

In relation to the stadium at Penrith, here is a snippet from an article in the Courier Mail which appears to provide some information -

Penrith Group chief executive Brian Fletcher said that his club would be seeking some clarity around the future of BlueBet Stadium, which was scheduled to undergo a rebuild at the end of the year under the previous government.

It is understood that the Panthers are likely to still receive funding for a new stadium, although it is expected to mean a knockdown of their current ground.

I am unable to find the article url to post, as I have access to a media clipping service which is how I found the above. The article it was taken from was written by Read and Rothfield though.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
They won't want to annoy sports fans too much. And as I said earlier, Penrith has become a hub for womens sports.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a scaled back redevelopment - maybe a complete refresh, or rebuilding one of the two stands.

They won't want to annoy sports fans too much. And as I said earlier, Penrith has become a hub for womens sports.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a scaled back redevelopment - maybe a complete refresh, or rebuilding one of the two stands.
New stadium or nothing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What s stuff up the Sydney stadium strategy looks like ending up. After all that all we ended up with was 2 clubs playing FT and 1 PT out of better stadiums.

Marlins

Juniors
Putting lipstick on Penrith will be a huge mistake. Not only will the upgrades do f**k all, the team will lose all fan momentum built up by playing elsewhere while the lipstick is applied. They really are better off with nothing rather then some mangled upgrade.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why does it need to be all at once? You could build a new stand one year and a second matching one a year or two later, then do the ends. Not every stadium had to be a continuous bowl. Just has to planned properly.
Realistically for Sydney now thats probably the only way these grounds will get upgraded. Its hard to see this or future govts throwing $400mill at a new stadium for many other clubs. Maybe clubs need a plan B where they take long term lease ownership of grounds and redevelop them themselves with the support of the NRL?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Realistically for Sydney now thats probably the only way these grounds will get upgraded. Its hard to see this or future govts throwing $400mill at a new stadium for many other clubs. Maybe clubs need a plan B where they take long term lease ownership of grounds and redevelop them themselves with the support of the NRL?
And for some grounds it makes perfect sense. Look at Wollongong and Mt Smart. Wollongong had 3 good stands that have been done individually - replace the hill with a mirror of the west stand and it’s a good complete stadium. Mt Smart has good main stands- enclose the southern end with a permanent bowl and you’ve got something pretty similar to what Townsville just built (with one end left open for a concert stage). Belmore is another where the existing infrastructure could be added to. I think we get wrapped up in every stadium having to be an architectural masterpiece.

Marlins

Juniors
This whole upgrading gradually is crap. Compare Win & Mt.smart with the Cowboys new stadium.
There’s seriously no comparison.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
This whole upgrading gradually is crap. Compare Win & Mt.smart with the Cowboys new stadium.
There’s seriously no comparison.
That’s because WIN and Mt Smart are half built. Finish them and they actually wouldn’t be too far off it. Sure they wo't look as pretty, but in terms of their ability to offer a good fan experience they'd be close. And if you're talking the difference between 50M and 200M there’s no comparison there either.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
In relation to the stadium at Penrith, here is a snippet from an article in the Courier Mail which appears to provide some information -

I am unable to find the article url to post, as I have access to a media clipping service which is how I found the above. The article it was taken from was written by Read and Rothfield though.
Should do it properly from the start

a ground with 3 sides isn’t ideal and will still cost loads

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
a ground with 3 sides isn’t ideal and will still cost loads

Townsville has 3 sides, as do several stadiums in the US. It can make sense to leave one end open or with temporary seating to allow it to be used for concerts, makes it easy to erect a stage/PA there.

Latest posts