What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Perth Red

Post Whore
I suspect we may have to start awarding contracts and tenders a smidge before that.

Why are you are so confident about an economic turnaround? Do you have know of some big financial news?
the 'experts' are suggesting we are already over the worse of it and inflation and cpi should both drop going forward. If you believe the 'experts' lol

Kurt Angle

First Grade
As I raised, if they spend up on QSAC, I think it is very likely the Lions will be encouraged to move there after 2032.

Whether they spend up big in an athletics field at the Gabba, Victoria Park, or Mt Gravatt, it is likely to be the premier oval ground in Brisbane, and the one THE QLD state government says to the Lions "We built this for you to use".

If the build up Victoria Park or QSAC, then the Gabba isn't getting funded much after its lifespan, and if it stays it'll be a boutique ground much like the WACA

Wb1234

Referee
Nrl twitter is a blast

one afl reporter calling for Brisbane to pull out of the games all together

another juicy comment from someone in Melbourne saying brisbane is now a laughing stock

ahh

Canard

Immortal
1710822565850.png

Anyone who thinks those temporary end stands could be reused in Cairns or Redcliffe, is hitting some serious hooch.

Ignoring that fact, to transport those rusted pieces of scrap metal would cost more than they are worth, the rake on them is completely unusable for a stadium in 2024.

jim_57

Staff member
$1.6 billion on QEII seems excessive to me?

Agreed. Whilst I think the plan is far better than just dumping it all on one oval for $3b+, $1.6b for QSAC seems a huge amount too. It’ll be interesting to see what is involved for that, that’s the same amount Optus cost not adjusting for inflation. Some more of that could go to Suncorp and the GABBA surely.

Last edited:

nko11

Juniors
Agreed. Whilst I think the plan is far better than just dumping it all on one oval for $3b+, $1.6b for QSAC seems a huge amount too. It’ll be interesting to see what is involved for that, that’s the same amount Optus cost not adjusting for inflation. Some more of that could go to Suncorp and the GABBA surely.
For what it's worth, Coates has come out and said they overexaggerated the price of QE2 to justify Victoria Park. They're already building a Metro down that way (to be fair it is buses). I really can't see how a 40,000 seat temporary stadium would cost $1.6 Billion. ~$400 million to replace the main stand to add corporates, broadcast and other main facilities (14,000 capacity that will be kept). Where does the other ~$1.2 Billion go to.

https://www.afr.com/companies/sport...emonies-after-review-rejected-20240318-p5fdc2

"Under the proposal, the revamped QEII would hold 40,000 temporary seats. Post-Olympics, it would revert to a 14,000-person stadium. The review panel recommended against this, citing a cost of $1.6 billion, but Mr Coates said that the over-inflated cost of infrastructure work needed to make the site accessible.

“It was all part of doing a job on this to suit themselves to justify using Victoria Park,” Mr Coates said."

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even the Gabba won’t fit an athletics track without major modifications.
The proposed plan makes sense in terms of what they’re doing with each venue, the only part I’d question is the $1.6B price tag on QEII.
That many portaloos arent cheap!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
View attachment 85341

Anyone who thinks those temporary end stands could be reused in Cairns or Redcliffe, is hitting some serious hooch.

Ignoring that fact, to transport those rusted pieces of scrap metal would cost more than they are worth, the rake on them is completely unusable for a stadium in 2024.
I assumed the idea of reusing standing Cairns or Brisbane intended for the new temporary stands that will be put in place for the Olympics, as you say those old ones are only fit for demolition.
Ary they even still usable?

King hit

Coach
View attachment 85341

There is very little public transport to QUE2 as well except if you like taking local bus routes or like walking a couple of k's up a hill from the Westfield. I knew that the olympics in Brisbane would be a massive shit show.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There is very little public transport to QUE2 as well except if you like taking local bus routes or like walking a couple of k's up a hill from the Westfield. I knew that the olympics in Brisbane would be a massive shit show.
You’d assume they’ll put special event buses on for the games? Probably easier to do for an event that only goes a couple of weeks.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
How big can Suncorp Stadium get in terms of capacity in it's current location?
I've just done a very rough count with the interactive Suncorp map and have come up with the below:

- level 7 corners built up to row 78 - appx 5,000 seats

Western stand demolished and built to mirror the east
- level 5 west - appx 2,970 seats
- level 7 west - appx 7,400 seats
(level 6 demolished, reduce by appx 5,120)

VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE
= 62,250

I eyeballed it and used very approximate calcs but I think they could manage anywhere from 60-70k.

Steel Saints

Juniors
I've just done a very rough count with the interactive Suncorp map and have come up with the below:

VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE
= 62,250

I eyeballed it and used very approximate calcs but I think they could manage anywhere from 60-70k.

Cheers mate. Didn't realize that the eastern stand is taller than the western stand. Would love for it to be closer to 70k.

shewi6

Juniors

VERY ROUGH ESTIMATE
= 62,250

They mas as well do it properly, put on a new roof and get the capacity to 70k.
And if there is no money left for the gabba out of the $1B after they do that, then so be it...😁