What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The IOC don't want extravagant stadiums built that have no economically justifiable legacy post games. They are fine with expensive extravagant stadiums being built for Olympic Games use if they are justifiable to the host cities long term needs.
That is why they were fine with a complete Gabba rebuild. There's far more long term justification in building the *$3.4 billion 50000 seat Victoria Park Stadium and associated infrastructure, than building a *$1.6 billion single use 14000 seat athletics stadium. Brisbane needs a world class test cricket ground / Australian Football stadium to compete with the other 4 major state capitals. No Australian city needs a $1.6 billion 14000 seat athletics stadium. No League, Rugby, or Soccer club would want to cohabit there.

The IOC doesn't want anymore expensive white elephants, which in Brisbane's case is the latter, not the former.
In no world is what is being proposed at QSAC going to cost 1.6b. Maybe if you include transport links, but that is a transport spend, not a stadium spend and will be left as a legacy

Wb1234

Referee
I'm not alone. will be the worse stadium in over a century!
Nothing like presenting your best face to the world.
Athletics is a part of the Olympics

the most watched is the opening and closing ceremonies which will be held at Suncorp

the ioc doesn’t want any more white elephants post games

a new Gabba will provide zero extra tourists for Brisbane but a new Suncorp will

purely from an economic point of
View the government would make the greatest return spending its stadium money on Suncorp

i0Nic

Juniors
LA will hold its opening ceremony (and swimming) in its shiny new rectangular football stadium Sofi, while the athletics will be held in the 100 year old Coliseum stadium which is decidedly less flash looking. I don’t see why Brisbane can’t have its opening ceremony in a fully upgraded or even rebuilt Lang Park and a gussied up QSAC for athletics. 40,000 is enough for athletics. Heck even follow LA’s lead and run the swimming in the second week at Lang Par in front of 60,000.

Vlad59

Bench
The legacy from the Brisbane Olympics has to be a brand new sparkly Suncorp and a solid athletics track. Not a 60000 multi billion flog ball stadium. But that’s what some so called nrl fans here want. Most peculiar. And don’t for one second think cricket and fumblers won’t coordinate this flog ball stadium bid. They are thick as thieves these days.

Jamberoo

Juniors
LA will hold its opening ceremony (and swimming) in its shiny new rectangular football stadium Sofi, while the athletics will be held in the 100 year old Coliseum stadium which is decidedly less flash looking. I don’t see why Brisbane can’t have its opening ceremony in a fully upgraded or even rebuilt Lang Park and a gussied up QSAC for athletics. 40,000 is enough for athletics. Heck even follow LA’s lead and run the swimming in the second week at Lang Par in front of 60,000.
If you are having a budget Olympics, swimming at Lang Park makes sense. But the pool will sit above the field so capacity would be halved. And you would need to host soccer elsewhere. And it would put Lang Park out of action for much of the 2032 season. Reckon there are better ideas.

Also, the athletics is the big ticket at every Olympics. The Coliseum is old, but it has just been renovated and is pretty awesome. Pretty sure it will host the opening ceremony. Capacity is 77,500.

1723676293579.jpeg

Attachments

• 1723675744443.jpeg
    1723675744443.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 2

i0Nic

Juniors
If you are having a budget Olympics, swimming at Lang Park makes sense. But the pool will sit above the field so capacity would be halved. And you would need to host soccer elsewhere. And it would put Lang Park out of action for much of the 2032 season. Reckon there are better ideas.

Also, the athletics is the big ticket at every Olympics. The Coliseum is old, but it has just been renovated and is pretty awesome. Pretty sure it will host the opening ceremony. Capacity is 77,500.

View attachment 92456
It’s not hosting the opening ceremony, Sofi is. And then Sofi is being configured to host the swimming one week later, with a reduce stadium capacity of around 40,000. The closing ceremony will be at the coliseum though.

I can imagine a renovated QSAC looking just as good if not better than the coliseum above.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s not hosting the opening ceremony, Sofi is. And then Sofi is being configured to host the swimming one week later, with a reduce stadium capacity of around 40,000. The closing ceremony will be at the coliseum though.

I can imagine a renovated QSAC looking just as good if not better than the coliseum above.
colosseum is 77,500. and isnt made of scaffolding!

i0Nic

Juniors
colosseum is 77,500. and isnt made of scaffolding!
$1.5B spent on QSAC will be a lot more than just scaffolding.

And another $1.5B spent on upgrading Lang Park and Gabba.

Rather than $3B spent on a single white elephant stadium.

Brisbane ends up with right sized stadiums fit for their purpose, with Lang Park being the showpiece stadium of the Games and the biggest stadium to cater for the biggest sports and events in Brisbane.

Last edited:

i0Nic

Juniors
Just look at what London did for their 2012 stadium. They built a stadium on the cheap that was designed to be reduced in capacity after the games. Brisbane can do some thing similiar with QSAC.

London, like Brisbane, don’t have a need for a 70,000 seat oval.

London 2012 has been hailed as one of the greatest ever games.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
$3.4b for a 55k stadium is highway robbery no matter which way you paint in. Again for context, it would be the second most expensive stadium ever built behind Sofi in LA without most of the bells and whistles that come with that stadium.

That huge spend then leaves Suncorp stadium, which hasn’t been touched for 30 years, in the lurch for quite a while as there would be no appetite for spending money on stadiums anytime soon after that. Suncorp is the main stadium in the city, the one that has sold out 9 times this year for Rugby League alone, soon to be 10.

I’m a big cricket fan myself but how often is cricket going to need those extra seats? Likewise AFL? Maybe a couple times a year if that. Some of the QSAC math is questionable for sure, but spending 2-3 stadiums worth of money on one that isn’t even that big and won’t ever be the city’s most used isn’t the answer either. For $3.4b Brisbane should be getting A LOT more than the Victoria Park “plan”.

Latest posts