What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Many posters so worried about AFL getting an improved stadium that they don’t care if Brisbane has the worst Olympics venue ever. They would rather waste $2B at QSAC, even if it means less funds for Suncorp, or other non- AFL related projects.

In reality, the best thing for AFL haters would have been a rebuilt Gabba. Five years without a decent venue would have decimated support for the Lions.
No, most of us realise that QSAC is already an athletics stadium and there is no way in the world it will cost 1.6B to renovate.

What you are accusing us of is exactly what the AFL, AFL media and fans are doing. They just want a shiny new stadium for AFL and don't give a f**k about Brisbane, the Olympics or upgrades to our most used venue, Suncorp which is also a major events driver for QLD

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
a proposed 40k stadium isnt an opinion its a fact. Being the smallest proposed venue in over 100 years, by some distance, isnt an opinion its fact.
Where opinion comes in is if you think a 40k temp stadium is a fitting venue for the worlds biggest sporting occasion. Personally I dont and it would seem from recent media comments from others that I'm not alone. In fact Id go as far as to say it somewhat embarrassing for Australia to be the Olympic host in such a limited venue.
If people took off their AFL hate gasses for a moment most would probably agree.
Im not agitated, it wont make any difference to my life lol
It's clearly far from settled so how about you save it for when the venues are finalised. But there isn't a lot of doubt that by the time the Olympics arrive we'll deliver some incredible venues

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
And what about post Olympics? What capacity should a Brisbane oval stadium have?
He doesnt care post Olympics, just like the AFL types advocating for an oval white elephant. They don't care about Brisbane's needs, they honestly don't even care about the Olympics or Australia's reputation, they just want Brisbane to have its own Homebush so ALF has the biggest stadium in town which will f**k our infrastructure in terms of stadiums.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If there is a change of Government, there is no way 2 billion is getting pumped into QSAC, because besides a small minority who want that venue upgraded, most of the State don’t even want the games and those who do, don’t want money wasted on an athletics stadium because they know they will never attend it. Despite whatever sport they follow, and most Queenslanders have a passive interest in most sports and aren’t usually on these types of forums, most of all they want to feel their money is isn’t being pissed up against the wall. So they would probably prefer a new stadium or upgraded Suncorp and Gabba, than this white elephant at Nathan. They certainly don’t need John Coates or IOCs approval.
That's not a bad take. I don't want the Olympics here. I think it's an incredible waste of money. What would really rub salt in the wound is a 60k oval and the Govt turning around and saying there's no money for a Suncorp capacity upgrade after the games because RL can just use the 60k new shiny "multi-purpose" stadium if they want a bigger ground. Worst possible outcome for our number 1 sport.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Brumbies have abandoned lobbying for the new major stadium and are instead partnering with the Tuggeranong Vikings to push for investment into a $50mil upgrade to Viking Park to rebuild it into a 10k mid-sized venue capable of hosting regular professional events, with a goal to host most Brumbies matches there.

The loss of the local RU establishment's support for the stadium alongside steady progress on plans for an eastern grandstand at Manuka and the government's continued commitment to expanding the light rail network all but confirms that the new stadium is DOA for the foreseeable future.

The only way you'll see a new major rectangular stadium in Canberra within the next couple decades is if there's a massive political shift or the Raiders and NRL start getting proactive about it, and the only political shift I can see happening is further to the left and away from investing in a new stadium...

RL getting proactive in their push for new facilities would inevitably piss all the dumbshit normie fans off as the team would be forced to use the dark arts to gain leverage over the government at this point. I can't see RL getting proactive anyway given the Raider's attitude of arrogant complacency and the NRL's long track record of treating Canberra as an afterthought at best.

Setting that aside; the only upgrades you're likely to see in Canberra anytime soon are further layers of lipstick applied to Bruce to keep it open to the public for as long as possible.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Doesn't matter how it happened, it just did.

Anybody with half a brain would know the field was too small for those two shit sports. Will the dumbos up in qld take note? As is usual in politics, whoever gives them the most money will drive the course of their decisions.

These days it's about who will spend the least tax payers money, as they get voted out for poor decisions.... let's see the fallout

King-Gutho94

Coach
Did the government forget about the drainage at Allianz and were too busy spending on poshing up the corporates.

The field last night was park level rubbish for a world class facility.

With the puddles everywhere.

Suitman

Post Whore
These new pitches are laid on a sand base with heaps of drainage incorporated and are designed to drain water away very quickly.
I honestly don't know what happened last night., but it wasn't a good look.