What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Refer my previous comment about the media catching you hook, line and sinker. The four year cycle of ''the venues will be a disaster for <<insert host city name>>'' are as predictable as the annual NRL 'bring back the bears' articles. At least we'll finally be done with the latter.

Santino Patane

Juniors
Here’s the thing- if they’re seriously thinking that Hamilton is a better location for a premier stadium in Brisbane than QSAC is- whoever “they” are are cooked. At least QSAC is kinda near some sort of transport (roads that aren’t permanently locked down by bad congestion and an option to have the busway dog leg out to it)- The Northshore location has the worst arterial road in Brisbane, and maybe a ferry terminal optional. It is closer to the City, but in no way could spectators get there without pain for all involved.

Lang Park and the Gabba are light years better than this dumb shit pie in the sky crap thrown up by who knows what…..

Diesel

Referee
Here’s the thing- if they’re seriously thinking that Hamilton is a better location for a premier stadium in Brisbane than QSAC is- whoever “they” are are cooked. At least QSAC is kinda near some sort of transport (roads that aren’t permanently locked down by bad congestion and an option to have the busway dog leg out to it)- The Northshore location has the worst arterial road in Brisbane, and maybe a ferry terminal optional. It is closer to the City, but in no way could spectators get there without pain for all involved.

Lang Park and the Gabba are light years better than this dumb shit pie in the sky crap thrown up by who knows what…..
But people living in Melbourne, support afl will tell the decision makers of Brisbane this is what the city needs.

afl can f**k off, this is not their city, it’s a city for the people of Brisbane

Steel Saints

Juniors
He doesnt care post Olympics, just like the AFL types advocating for an oval white elephant. They don't care about Brisbane's needs, they honestly don't even care about the Olympihcs or Australia's reputation, they just want Brisbane to have its own Homebush so ALF has the biggest stadium in town which will f**k our infrastructure in terms of stadiums.

I get the feeling that Brisbane will have a new 60k oval stadium for the Olympics. But there has to be post Olympics plans. Maybe have 20k temporary seating and reduce the capacity to 40k afterwards.

Oval sports don't have the content or demand for a 60k stadium in Brisbane. Suncorp is the only stadium in Brisbane that should be well over 60k capacity.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I get the feeling that Brisbane will have a new 60k oval stadium for the Olympics. But there has to be post Olympics plans. Maybe have 20k temporary seating and reduce the capacity to 40k afterwards.

Oval sports don't have the content or demand for a 60k stadium in Brisbane. Suncorp is the only stadium in Brisbane that should be well over 60k capacity.
It would be corruption of the highest order for an oval to be the largest stadium in a city where Rugby League, Soccer and Rugby Union marquee events are the main tourism drivers.

My concern is that it'll be snuck through under the multi-purpose scam and we'll be left to play on an oval if we want crowds bigger than 52k.

Or we'll continue with the current situation where Suncorp is too small for Brisbane's major events, whilst the fumblers average 27k in a 60k stadium and the cricketers don't draw much more.

Hopefully you're right about reduction in capacity post games.

Steel Saints

Juniors
It would be corruption of the highest order for an oval to be the largest stadium in a city where Rugby League, Soccer and Rugby Union marquee events are the main tourism drivers.

My concern is that it'll be snuck through under the multi-purpose scam and we'll be left to play on an oval if we want crowds bigger than 52k.

Or we'll continue with the current situation where Suncorp is too small for Brisbane's major events, whilst the fumblers average 27k in a 60k stadium and the cricketers don't draw much more.

Hopefully you're right about reduction in capacity post games.

If an oval stadium in Brisbane has a larger capacity over Suncorp, then it would be placed in the Raygun WTF farce category.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I love watching the Olympics …but the thought that Australia is hosting this again just 30 years after the last time is a joke … they are the little kid in the playground… trying to get noticed on the world stage no matter how much public money it costs … take a second look at all the stadia in Homebush 25 years later and tell me it’s worth it ?..

Last edited:

Vlad59

Bench
I love watching the Olympics …but the thought that Australia is hosting this again just 30 years after the last time is a joke … they are the little kid in the playground trying to get noticed on the world stage no matter how much public money it costs … take a second look at all the stadia in Homebush 25 years later and tell me it’s worth it ?..
Which is one of the reasons why the IOC is happy for hosts to scale back funding on infrastructure

BuffaloRules

Coach
Which is one of the reasons why the IOC is happy for hosts to scale back funding on infrastructure

And they should do… I recall London’s 2012 stadium having a lot of temporary seating and getting converted to a soccer stadium after …didnt seem to cause any issues during the games itself or its legacy after

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
And they should do… I recall London’s 2012 stadium having a lot of temporary seating and getting converted to a soccer stadium after …didnt seem to cause any issues during the games itself or its legacy after
Has anyone on here been to Westham's stadium (previously the Olympic stadium) for the England v NZ RL series or for soccer?

It currently is configured to host rectangular sports but also hosts the athletics diamond league meet once a year plus it has hosted baseball I believe. They use drop in seating to bring fans closer to the field for West Ham games. Is it shit for viewing like Homebush?

Just wanting to know if Brisbane ends up with an Olympic white elephant stadium if there is any possible design that could make it a quality Rugby League experience (although any move away from Suncorp again feels wrong).