What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

S.R.

Juniors
Just. It overlooks botany bay but it's a fair few km's away. Water on the horizon from top of the grandstand, but at WIN you can throw a stone into the water from the hill!

Pretty sure Toyota Stadium isn't far from water..... after all, it's on the "flood plain"!! :crazy:

Just on the WIN Stadium Wollongong grandstand, the media facilities appear VERY low. Don't they normally like some height for the cameras?

beave

Coach
That would be amazing, will the fact that the fury died have a negative affect on it of true?

yeah, but the cowboys were around for a good 14-15 years before the Fury came along and we've always had good crowds, throw into the mix that we have been rubbish for a fair bit of that and you could probably up good to we've had 'excellent' crowds (ignore this year as it was always going to be a rebuilding year crowd wise) so it would still have weight behind it with only 1 full time resident.

This is the map of the area where I was told they are looking at, this is just what I have been told by someone on the stampede site so it's not exactly official but most people over there are on the level so I have no reason to discredit what this lad is saying.

newstadium.png

it's some old rail yards that are within about 5 mins of the inner city area. Old mate reckons a new leagues club has also been proposed to be built next to the stadium as well. DFS has served it's time, comparing it to Robina and a few other stadiums around in the 27k capacity mark and the old girl needs more than just a lick of paint which is all the government have spent on her of late. No roof, toilets are lacking, western stand has sub standard corporate facilities and DFS is out in the sticks (for Townsville, lol) and something like what is being proposed would be awesome for us. The mall just got ripped up in town and re-opened to vehicular traffic for the first time in 25 years, the local council are trying to tart up the inner city and revive it, this location of the new stadium would help that along, the night club strip and restaurant strip isn't very far from this new location either so the punters keen to bung one on after a game will love it.

Stadiums close to the cbd are great. They mean games and big events actually have a meaningful effect on the local economy. As for parking. If people were willing to walk 10mins instead of piss f**king around in their cars for half an hour looking for a spot 1 or 2 blocks closer to the ground it wouldn't be an issue

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
yeah, but the cowboys were around for a good 14-15 years before the Fury came along and we've always had good crowds, throw into the mix that we have been rubbish for a fair bit of that and you could probably up good to we've had 'excellent' crowds (ignore this year as it was always going to be a rebuilding year crowd wise) so it would still have weight behind it with only 1 full time resident.

This is the map of the area where I was told they are looking at, this is just what I have been told by someone on the stampede site so it's not exactly official but most people over there are on the level so I have no reason to discredit what this lad is saying.

newstadium.png

it's some old rail yards that are within about 5 mins of the inner city area. Old mate reckons a new leagues club has also been proposed to be built next to the stadium as well. DFS has served it's time, comparing it to Robina and a few other stadiums around in the 27k capacity mark and the old girl needs more than just a lick of paint which is all the government have spent on her of late. No roof, toilets are lacking, western stand has sub standard corporate facilities and DFS is out in the sticks (for Townsville, lol) and something like what is being proposed would be awesome for us. The mall just got ripped up in town and re-opened to vehicular traffic for the first time in 25 years, the local council are trying to tart up the inner city and revive it, this location of the new stadium would help that along, the night club strip and restaurant strip isn't very far from this new location either so the punters keen to bung one on after a game will love it.

That's awesome, hopefully its true.

clarency

Juniors
Won't see this happening without government help. Until they make an announcement I don't want to get excited.

aarondoyle

Juniors

newstadium.png

I hope this is true. Located near public transport. Room for a big car park. Neard the CBD. Modern stadium. This place would have everything.

I'd fly in for the first game!

RedVee

First Grade
A partially redeveloped WIN Stadium ready for its first game of the season.

268414_10150217431736190_195302056189_7815595_2496554_n.jpg

270948_10150217430676190_195302056189_7815560_472919_n.jpg

268072_10150217431456190_195302056189_7815586_2079629_n.jpg

260471_10150217431666190_195302056189_7815592_7233352_n.jpg

Source: Dragons Facebook

I'm excited!

I scratched my head when I got Row Q in the West Concourse, but from those photos it looks like the top row and may even be under cover.
Too bad I cant get there on a Moday night.... :x

Just on the WIN Stadium Wollongong grandstand, the media facilities appear VERY low. Don't they normally like some height for the cameras?

Not sure if this will be ready in 2011 but the completed grandstand will have a camera platform at the back of the top tier.

The media boxes themselves are probably a bit lower than typical but will be a million times better than what was there before.

aarondoyle

Juniors
Governments have to stop building stands and start biulding stadiums. There's some great little stadiums in the UK they could copy and bring over.

THough I suppose an upgrade is an upgrade.

Last edited:

S.R.

Juniors
Looks good. Other councils need to work with their local team to improve NRL grounds.

Yeah cos Wollongong Council paid for the upgrade hey?

NRL Clubs need to do whatever the Dragons have done for the decision makers in the NSW State Government to secure hundreds of millions of dollars to upgrade their grounds!

Red Bear

Referee
Be nice if you could redo the southern end to similar height of the Northern and Western sides, but there is little room behind there so unlikely

dgsfan

Juniors
Looks kinda shit TBH. I agree with a previous post, stop upgrading current shitholes and build a new stadium. I concede building a new one in Wollongong is not viable, having only half a team there, but in Sydney definitely.

Jono1987

Juniors
Looks kinda shit TBH. I agree with a previous post, stop upgrading current shitholes and build a new stadium. I concede building a new one in Wollongong is not viable, having only half a team there, but in Sydney definitely.

That's an astute observation for an unfinished project. Care to explain why it looks shit? Every seat in that new grandstand is going to provide fantastic value, whether it be in terms of closeness to the action or comfort levels.

On your second part I agree. However with the make-up of our competition (particularly in Sydney) part-by-part upgrades are going to be the norm.

i reckon its good.

i would hope that long term they would go all seater and get rid of the hill.

then again....its a 6 game a year venue. maybe if the gong got an A League licence in the future.

anyway should be really good when that stand is done.