What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Evil Homer

Staff member
bobmar28 said:
I watch a bit of ESL and I haven't seen an English stadium as good as Robina.
Huddersfield%20Stadium.jpg
stadium_396x213.jpg
hull_kingston2.jpg

All run it close IMO.

Timmah said:
It's only banners (that weigh a combined couple of tonnes apparently) across the seats, it's not written in the seating :p

I do like the banners. A very simple idea but one that goes some way to overcome the issues associated with playing club footy at a major ground.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
bobmar28 said:
I watch a bit of ESL and I haven't seen an English stadium as good as Robina.

You mean the EUROPEAN Super League! Its does have a FRENCH club in it! WHen will you dozey Aussies use correct terminology???

BrisVegas

Juniors
In todays SMH there was an article about Sydney FC with the following information tagged on to the end:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football...-on-lost-chance/2007/08/21/1187462263267.html

In other A-League news, it is believed Newcastle Jets owner Con Constantine and football director Remo Nogarotto travelled to Canberra last week to meet Prime Minister John Howard and lobby for a $60million upgrade of EnergyAustralia Stadium.

The Jets and the Newcastle Knights want to demolish the western grandstand and convert the stadium into a 40,000 all-seater venue, and it is believed Howard offered a favourable response to contributing half the cost. The NSW Government will be asked to contribute the remaining $30 million.

Frederick

Staff member
It should be noted that the NSW government has already promised their 30million if the Federal government chip in theirs.

bobmar28

Bench
Timmah said:
20052007.jpg

It's only banners (that weigh a combined couple of tonnes apparently) across the seats, it's not written in the seating :p
Hungry? get out there and buy Subway. Support sponsors that support league.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Red Bear said:
And spacemonkey, the Western Grandstand is very old, not sure how old tho. If you could make the western grandstand similar to some of the grandstands you see in england (eg the main stand of Anfield) it could be excellent, even joining it too the northern or southern grandstand, altho this would be dificult without gettig rid of the street behind the western grandstand.

I'm aware of the issue with the street behind, as I've got family in the 'Gong and have drive around the area. One option would be to remodel the hill and move the pitch a few metres in that direction to make some more space (not sure if that would create issues with the liught towers though) another would be to build the new stand so that the upper tiers acually overhang the street a bit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
bobmar28 said:
The Hull one is awesome. I haven't seen league played there yet.

The KC is a brilliant mid size ground. Built for $100 million, holds 28,000, great viewing from every seat and the atmosphere is incredible (especially on derby day!) Only failing is that Hull FC play there and not Hull KR!!

It has held Int RL as well as being the home of Hull FC.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
KalgoorlieRed said:
You mean the EUROPEAN Super League! Its does have a FRENCH club in it! WHen will you dozey Aussies use correct terminology???

So whats Perginan's stadium like??

I havent seen many Catalans games, its on the recent RL2 computer game.

Also the Stoop ground, Harlequins home ground, looks alright on TV, would look even better if they filled the stands.

Ice777

Bench
The Bubble Dome in Melbourne. Initially it was meant to be 20k capacity but that's been upped to around 31k because of the Victory's incessent whinging. This is the original video but the design of it will be the same with the extra seats.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3F67bsJwvyE

SpaceMonkey said:
I'm aware of the issue with the street behind, as I've got family in the 'Gong and have drive around the area. One option would be to remodel the hill and move the pitch a few metres in that direction to make some more space (not sure if that would create issues with the liught towers though) another would be to build the new stand so that the upper tiers acually overhang the street a bit.

Moving the pitch isn't really viable because it would probably require not insignigificant modications to the northern and southern stands. It's not as if there's no room and also if necessary you could always narrow the street (eliminate car parking for instance) to squeeze in a bigger stand. As I already said and you've now pointed out some form of catilevering is the obvious option that's out there as is a far more efficient use of horizontal space than the current stand.

Any significant new stand would require the eastern light towers to be moved.

Red Bear

Referee
you could get rid of the street on the block of the steelers club (directly behind the westerns stand), not exactly a critical street, tho doubt this would happen

bobmar28

Bench
Perth Red said:
The KC is a brilliant mid size ground. Built for $100 million, holds 28,000, great viewing from every seat and the atmosphere is incredible (especially on derby day!) Only failing is that Hull FC play there and not Hull KR!!

It has held Int RL as well as being the home of Hull FC.
At least it's a rectangular field.

Perth Red

Post Whore
PARRA_FAN said:
So whats Perginan's stadium like??

I.

Pretty poor. Went there this year. One good stand, one all seater but very uncomfortable bench seating, one end stand miles from the pitch with a cage around it and other end hasn't got anything there. There are plans for upgrades but it needs a hell of alot of work doing to it. Only RL ground I've been to that had unisex toilets as well!

Latest posts