What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

BrisVegas

Juniors
http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/StatementDisplaySingle.aspx?id=54748

Minister for Police, Corrective Services and Sport
The Honourable Judy Spence

Friday, October 26, 2007

SKILLED PARK TO ACCOMMODATE AN EXTRA 2,000 FANS: SPENCE

Sport Minister Judy Spence today announced the capacity of the new $160 Million Skilled Park is being increased to accommodate 2,000 more fans than previously planned.

“The stadium was originally designed to accommodate 25,000 fans,” Ms Spence said.

“During construction it has become apparent there is sufficient space to increase capacity, with no impact on the project budget or the comfort of patrons.

“As a result, the managing contractors have advised the venue’s capacity will now be around 27,000 – which is a great outcome for both the fans and the teams set to play at Skilled Park.”

Ms Spence said the good news comes as construction at the stadium is reaching some major milestones.

“With the stadium set for completion in time for the commencement of the 2008 NRL season, things are really starting to take shape,” Ms Spence said.

“80% of the seats have now been installed, and the roofing fabric is being progressively fitted in place.

“Four huge water tanks with a capacity totalling nearly One Million Litres have now been installed, to collect rainwater via the roof of the Stadium, to irrigate the field, and preparations are underway for the upcoming laying of the turf.”

The development of the greater Skilled Park site is also receiving a huge boost, with Ms Spence today announcing a contribution of $570,000 towards the construction of a pedestrian link boardwalk along the southern edge of Mudgeeraba Creek.

“This government is contributing more than half the funding for the $1 Million boardwalk project, partnering with Gold Coast City council and the Robina Land Corporation,” Ms Spence said.

Gold Coast Mayor, Ron Clarke, said the pedestrian link is being developed as part of the Council’s broader West Park project.

“This pedestrian link is great news for the Gold Coast and will provide easy access for fans, between the stadium and parkland on the western side of the rail line,” Mr Clarke said.

“It will also provide a great walkway for residents and visitors in the area accessing the open spaces being developed as part of the Green Heart project.

Ms Spence said the boardwalk will be a valuable link for the Gold Coast Titans who have recently announced a multi million dollar administration, sports coaching and player development facility on land south of the Skilled Park.

“The link will also improve access to Skilled Park for patrons attending events and functions at the venue,” Ms Spence said.

“The project is expected to be constructed in sync with Skilled Park, with completion expected early next year.

“This government is committed to delivering a world-class facility and sporting precinct at Skilled Park and these major initiatives announced today further ensure this commitment will be met.”
DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

070814050542-SkilledPark-SeatPlan.jpg

A just reward for all Titans fans who arguably endured some of the worst NRL ground conditions in 2007. With the club posting a profit and the 2nd highest crowd attendance in its inaugural year, it's only a matter of time before they become a powerhouse of the NRL with facilities such as Skilled Park and the new $20 million dollar five story administration and training complex next door.

To be completed late 2008:

070905052804-training_facility.jpg

Coaster

Bench
It is fantasic news.

Good to see the newest club, striving for some of the best facilities in the league.

Nice to see this thread get a bump.

Great news for the NRL. It's a nice little stadium and 27.5k is a perfect capacity for the ground. I really hope to make it up for the Round 16 game at Skilled Park.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Love the design. Will make it instantly recognisable and with that roof shape should reverberate the crowd noise and help create a hell of an atmosphere.

bobmar28

Bench
Perth Red said:
Why don't the Leagues clubs play for new ground developments? I heard they made a profit of tens of millions, where does that profit go (I know SOME goes to junior footy or the NRL franchise but there must be tens of millions that goes somehwere else). Are these seperate profit making companies or are they there to service the needs of RL in the area? If the latter surely it would be in there remit to spend their ill gotten gains on new stadia.
Licensed clubs in NSW are community based non profit organizations and the ill gotten gains you talk about are used to provide for the community by way of discount food, drinks and entertainment. Also grants to football teams, support for junior sport and in the case of my local club (Mounties) grants to local schools, hospitals and disabled groups.

Scorpio30

Bench
“Four huge water tanks with a capacity totalling nearly One Million Litres have now been installed"

One of those tanks isnt a water tank at all ;-)

TITAN1

Juniors
Perth Red said:
Love the design. Will make it instantly recognisable and with that roof shape should reverberate the crowd noise and help create a hell of an atmosphere.
Its based on Suncorp stadium,but doesnt have the very top deck..should make for a very uncomfortable experience for visiting teams!;-)

TITAN1

Juniors
Scorpio30 said:
LOL.....This is news now?......We went from 25k to 27.5k months ago.

psmitty
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_206608", true);
Junior Titan

icon1.gif

Hi all a friend of mine works for the sports minister and has advised me that a press release came out late today saying that skilled park has now gone from 25,000 seats to 27,000. It says that they have saved money on the building and have found room for another 2,000 seats. This is good news as i always thought will there be enough room so the more seats the better.

Only recent news,not months ago.:D

Scorpio30

Bench
TITAN1 said:
Its based on Suncorp stadium,but doesnt have the very top deck..should make for a very uncomfortable experience for visiting teams!;-)

:lol: Its hardly based on Suncorp Stadium...But when you work for the architectural firm that did both...its easy to steal the tried and true

Scorpio30

Bench
TITAN1 said:
psmitty
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_206608", true);
Junior Titan

icon1.gif

Hi all a friend of mine works for the sports minister and has advised me that a press release came out late today saying that skilled park has now gone from 25,000 seats to 27,000. It says that they have saved money on the building and have found room for another 2,000 seats. This is good news as i always thought will there be enough room so the more seats the better.

Only recent news,not months ago.:D

Just suprises me as I worked on the plans for this and we upped the capacity months ago.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
im dissapointed parra dont play there :(

and ftr, the KC is one of the best league grounds going around...
The Knights do ;-)

Looking forward to it :D (if I have enough money to so do .....)

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Scorpio30 said:
Just suprises me as I worked on the plans for this and we upped the capacity months ago.
Do you have the exact seating capacity and is there anything else you can tell us about the stadium that hasn't been released yet?

yakstorm

First Grade
27K is perfect size for the Titans, I think they'll easily average of 20K at the new venue, so with the shape and design should mean a great atmosphere.

I do think they need to take their match against the Broncos to Suncorp every year though, that game is guarenteed 40K+

Latest posts