What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

tumbidragon

First Grade
That stadium if realized, would have to give Melbs stadium a run for It's money for the best ~30K seat stadium. The incline of the bays looks delicious for viewing.

bobmar28

Bench
Found this online has been overlooked in this thread (1st of November release):

Feasibility study link here.

PROPOSED SITES:
1) Southbank Railyard Site
1AAxNit.jpg

2) Dean Street Site
2d71l0M.jpg

NEW RENDERS:
918657-20131001superstadium.jpg

2i0A7XH.jpg

Most people appear to be seated behind the goal posts.

beave

Coach
The locals will whinge about the lack of a hill once built, i can honestly see it happening

From the pics in the article it looks like the stadium being built in the railyards idea has been abandoned. The 2nd pic is in what is currently a car park (was a outdoor amphitheatre) and the first one is in some unused land, i think the first pic location would be better as there will still be at least a car park nearby, f**k knows where you are supposed to park if the 2nd pic is the way they go.......

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Looks good and pretty unique stadium as well. Is that going off actual architects plans or is that an artist impression of a possible design?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Very nice looking stadium and would really drive the cowboys to the next level though if anywhere could have a hill for picnics on a warm night it would be at the cowboys and would make the stadium very unique in Australia in years to come. A 25,000 seats with a modern grass hill at one end would bring the price down a fair bit and meet the needs well.

In the same way I would love to see the shed end retained at nib stadium and turned into a modern terracing standing area for the poms of Perth.

I like stadiums that recognise the quirks of the locals rather than an out of the box 4 stand meccano design.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Some more pics from the Study that Applesauce linked.

yRKK2ff.png

yAIbBmt.jpg

SYMKqmU.png

Looks good and pretty unique stadium as well. Is that going off actual architects plans or is that an artist impression of a possible design?

Just a sketch it seems.

The locals will whinge about the lack of a hill once built, i can honestly see it happening

From the pics in the article it looks like the stadium being built in the railyards idea has been abandoned. The 2nd pic is in what is currently a car park (was a outdoor amphitheatre) and the first one is in some unused land, i think the first pic location would be better as there will still be at least a car park nearby, f**k knows where you are supposed to park if the 2nd pic is the way they go.......

Site two has a pretty big car park in the pic mate.
mNW0bjb.jpg

beave

Coach
Yeah it says 645 car parks but i dont think that is enough hey.

If that forces the local bus company to run more public transport on game night than that is a good thing but the mindset of the locals is to drive on game night. I think at the moment there is closer to 1000 car parks around 1300smiles? Thats including the 3 car parks and brothers leagues club next door. Im not poo pooing the idea of this cbd stadium either (im pretty vocal about wanting it) but they may have to look at increasing the amount of car parks in the area. There was talk also of moving the leagues club to the stadium as well (it would be about 600m from those sites now) will be interesting to see what they will do.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
08466AC4-11DB-4C60-8EC5-92A61CE1CF8E.png

Just so people see what i mean, the stadium has W,N and eastern carparks and brothers leagues club to the south has had work done to clear a heap of trees to extend their carparking capacity for game nights. Might even be more than a thousand carparks in the vicinity of 1300????

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Yeah it says 645 car parks but i dont think that is enough hey.

If that forces the local bus company to run more public transport on game night than that is a good thing but the mindset of the locals is to drive on game night. I think at the moment there is closer to 1000 car parks around 1300smiles? Thats including the 3 car parks and brothers leagues club next door. Im not poo pooing the idea of this cbd stadium either (im pretty vocal about wanting it) but they may have to look at increasing the amount of car parks in the area. There was talk also of moving the leagues club to the stadium as well (it would be about 600m from those sites now) will be interesting to see what they will do.

I guess one of the big reasons to have a CBD stadium is to get more people on public transport. If they build that pedestrian bridge I'd assume they'll be wanting/encouraging a lot of people to walk into town after a game too, and then catching bus/train home when they're done for the night.

Either way, both sites seem to have plenty of space for more carparks if they're needed.

beave

Coach
Bus and cabs are the only real forms of public transport, the trainline runs through mostly industrial areas and as it heads out of town kinda near some outlying suburbs like North Shore, Deeragun, Burdell which is a bit of a growth corridor but there isnt any stations out that way and I doubt QR would assign a train for local game night use only.

though it does raise an interesting point that if you ran trains from cairns and mackay say leaving at 11am stopping at all the towns along the way to tvl purely as an event thing, it may be a little money spinner, you would have to market/advertise it heavily showing the advantages of not having to drive and so forth so you can bung one on............. Would be a messy trip on the way there i'd reckon!

bobmar28

Bench
I don't think the people of Townsville would want to go to a game of footy on public transport. Needs a car park with at least a thousand car spaces.

Latest posts