1. Round 10 Edition OUT NOW:

The Magic Round issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and NRL match programme for is out now!

A packed Magic Round issue looks ahead to the weekend at Suncorp, with more stories including an opinion piece on a recent court verdict, news from Victoria, and a chat to Knights' rookie Phoenix Crossland - plus the full match program for Round 10 of the NRL and teams & results for NSWRL, QRL and more.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 10 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Future of Nathan Cleary

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by unKwn, Mar 19, 2018.

?

Will Nathan Leave?

1. Yes

39.4%
  2. No

60.6%
  1. unKwn

unKwn Juniors

Welp, after watching the Matty Johns show, things don't look to good for us. Ivan and Nathan pretty much confirmed they would love to play with each other. unless we can pull off a miracle season and win a premiership and treat nathan well with a nice contract, I don't see us retaining him. bad times guys, i hope we dont but we might see another talented player walk out the door. please prove me wrong.

2. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Referee

Ofcourse he will leave. Hopefully we get one more contract out of him atleast.

We cant hang onto the superstars we produce. For one reason or another they all end up elsewhere.

OldPanther and umina panther like this.
  3. soc123_au

soc123_au Coach

I think he will stay, but it will cost a pretty penny. He seems like the type of person that would value being a one club player.

Whino likes this.
  4. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Bench

Since he's under contact until end of season 2019 I'm not even thinking about such things. If Nathan chooses to stay it will be for big dollars.

GongPanther likes this.
  5. umina panther

umina panther Coach

Sack Gus and give Ivan a blank cheque looks the only hope

OldPanther likes this.
  6. age.s

age.s First Grade

How many "superstars" stay anywhere for their whole careers? Smith and Slater only stayed at the Storm due to the club cheating (Smith was all but signed by the Titans in 08 or 09). Ditto Cronk and even he's left. Thurston is the closest example I can think of and for half of his career they had to have him playing with absolute cellar dwellers. Lockyer is probably the only other 21st century example I can think of. You can point to players from previous generations, but the league doesn't work like that anymore.

I'd love for Nathan to dominate with us for the entirety of his career. Barring that I just hope we manage the transition to a new halves pairing smoothly. That's all any of the modern clubs can ever hope for.

GongPanther, Whino and Pomoz like this.
  7. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Bench

Well said.

This sack Gus in my opinion is just silly. You could end up like W.T were in 2017 with 'the big three'. Sacking Gus and still missing out on Nathan.

Gus is doing a fine job. I'd love Nathan to stay, but if he choses to go, I will remember him fondly.

8. umina panther

umina panther Coach

The way Gus sacked his dad has made it almost impossible to keep Nathan. He's a good son and just waiting for the chance to knife the arrogant prick imo.

9. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Bench

If that was the case. Why did Nathan re-sign and remove the waiver out of his contract about playing with his Dad about 18 months ago ? (june 2016)

10. Westernised Panther

Westernised Panther Juniors

Good point

11. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Referee

Could happen sooner than we think.

If Cleary signs with someone else for 2020 after this season is up, then we might release him early so we can move on & start rebuilding with a new halves partnership.

12. umina panther

umina panther Coach

Was in the best 20's team in the comp and was good for his career to stay. Now though?

Gus bagging his dad in the media was unprofessional and simply idiotic.

13. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Referee

I was surprised when we re-signed him, thought he was gone. But looking back it wouldn’t have been a great time for him to move clubs. He was established here & lived in the area, being only young it would’ve been more difficult to travel somewhere else.

His family live in Leonay, so fair way to the next closest club.

14. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

I'm not convinced he will leave at the end of 2019. Of course it will help if we finish in the top 4 or even make the GF this year. Nor am I convinced he will follow his Dad, who might move on at any time.

I guess I missed that. Saying he was tired? Of course that was shite. But the long an d the short of it as I see it was that the professional relationship became untenable. Possibly connected with Gould's "hands on" role in managing the football club. In short, I suspect Gus wanted to have some input in the darkest days of 2015, and Ivan told him to piss off. Could be completely wrong of course.

Nathan Cleary is not Darius Boyd. He could play under just about any coach.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  15. umina panther

umina panther Coach

Agree. He'll be a Rooster or a Bronco........yuck

16. franklin2323

franklin2323 Immortal

They said the same thing 3 weeks from the season starting. Sometime down the track was all they said. Sign for 4 more years. He will still be 27 after then that is when he'd go I think

Aliceinwonderland likes this.
  17. OldPanther

OldPanther Coach

Just re-sign Ivan. He has a couple of years at the Tigers. Just get his next contract here and Nathan can stay and still play under his dad. Other than that he'll go.

18. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Referee

Theres absolutely no way in hell Ivan is coming back here. Not while Gus is here atleast.

That bridge has been burnt. Sadly theres no way Ivans job is in jeopardy at Tigers either. 2/2 to start the season against the 2 premiership favorites? They wouldn't have expected any wins by now.

OldPanther likes this.
  19. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

Nathan will be a Rooster.

20. PANTHERMIKE

PANTHERMIKE Juniors

I originally thought Nathan would be leaving to go play at the tigers.

The more i hear Ivan talking about it now, the more i feel he is doing his part to bump Nath's $$$'s up as high as he get it. Safe to say i would do the same for my son

The Panthers have a premiership window open, the tigers i cant see one for sometime yet, they would also have to punt Reynolds and or Brooks.

I think Nath is about winning a comp at this stage of his career. He knows he is going to get the coin regardless, and he has another 12 years to play along side dad.. He has a lot of close mates playing along side him now at Penrith, throw in 1.2mill a year and playing within a top 4 potential roster, i think that may be enough..

Forget him going to the Roosters. It just wont happen. Unless he signs somewhere else, then mores to the roosters post that contract.

Politis will not poach him from his best friend Gus.