What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future Queensland Derby Games

docbrown

Coach
It really falls outside the realm of derbies doesn't it? At 3 it made sense, mostly because GC have always been pretty irrelevant, now there's the Brisbane derby and the Broncos and Cowboys will maintain a rivalry.
We’ll call them All Queensland games. Some rivalries are greater than others.

I’d say the six all-Brisbane games will be regular sell outs.

docbrown

Coach
Nice idea but the NRL can't design a draw that doesn't have multiple teams playing each other home and away a few weeks apart. It's nice to dream though.

P.S. The Broncos/"Jets" game should be the Bulimba Cup Derby.
With advancements in A.I., scheduling will improve significantly.

docbrown

Coach
Hypothetically if we’re going with the addition of the jets, i would setup a QLD shield/plate with a separate Ladder alongside the NRL only counting the QLD match ups. I would utilize the public holiday matches better, like Sydney, South’s/Dogs, Eels/Tigers, Roosters/Dragons, are all big one offs that have become huge crowd drawers regardless of team performances. I’d avoid having matchups during Origin And setup a run of matches between the sides at the end of the season with the last of the derbies being two a week, finishing 2nd last round of the year. Something like this all competing for the annual QLD Derby Shield.

R1. Jet v Dol, Tit v Bro
R2. Bro v Cow, Tit v Dol
R3. Cow v Dol, Bro v Jet
Good Fri. Jet v Tit
Easter Mon. Dol v Bro
Anzac. Jet v Cow
R18. Cow v Tit
R19. Dol v Tit
R20. Bro v Tit
R21. Dol v Cow
R22. Cow v Jet
R23. Tit v Cow, Jet v Bro
R24. Tit v Jet, Bro v Dol
R25. Cow v Bro, Dol v Jet
With 20 teams the NRL could go to divisions. Northern division could be Cowboys, Dolphins, Broncos, Jets and Titans. Winner gets Week 1 finals bye and Week 2 finals home game. Runner up gets Week 1 finals home game. That way the Queensland ladder division games mean even more.

docbrown

Coach
Here's the current QLD derby ladder with points and points differential.

Broncos 4 / +18
Dolphins 2 / +4
Cowboys 2 / -10
Titans 0 / -12

Broncos 28 def Cowboys 16
Dolphins 12 def by Broncos 18
Cowboys 24 def Titans 12
Cowboys 22 def by Dolphins 32

Titans v Broncos
Dolphins v Titans
Broncos v Titans
Broncos v Dolphins
Titans v Dolphins
Titans v Cowboys
Cowboys v Broncos
Dolphins v Cowboys
I’m an NFL fan and if this were a division on its own these matches take on an even greater significance.

The other one I’d like to see is a Western Sydney one - Panthers, Eels, Bulldogs and Tigers.

docbrown

Coach
Wheres my Toowoomba team😂
grew up going to athletic oval with about 10k ( kids everywhere) squashed in to watch the Bulimba Cup .
great memories .
Toowoomba’s only expected to have a population of about 200 to 250k in 20 years.

Ideally a third Brisbane team would emphasise the south and west, potentially having an away or neutral game there each season.

Canard

Immortal
I’m an NFL fan and if this were a division on its own these matches take on an even greater significance.

The other one I’d like to see is a Western Sydney one - Panthers, Eels, Bulldogs and Tigers.
It would get boring fast.

If it's a derby game every week, apathy would set in real quick.

A few times a year is the best result.

Despite what since cookers say, Sydney clubs have big supporter bases in QLD and there games are well attended.

docbrown

Coach
Your kidding if you think Cowboys fans would support the Broncos in anything. I'm fact that's pure ignorance.

I don't have any real affinity for the Dolphins per se either, but because Fox and LU have death ridden them so hard Ill cheer them a bit. Their main attribute though is that they are not the Broncos.

The OP shows that saturating a market is a bad idea, and why we shouldn't add to QLD for at least a Decade or more.

It's also crazy that LU will only give legitimacy to a rivalry that includes fans killing each other or destructive hooliganism.
I don’t see this happening for at least a decade.

But I’m going to ask the question: is 20 All-Queensland games a year actually saturation?

There’s been 15 All-Sydney games already in the first 6 rounds this year.
There’ll probably be about 50+ All-Sydney games this year.

But also remember this — Queensland and Sydney have similar populations - about 5.3 million.

So if 20 All-Queensland games is saturated, then what’s the 50 All-Sydney games? I’d like to see the person who suggests we cut back the number of All-Sydney games to only 20 each year or say that even 20 is ‘over saturated’.

Also keeping in mind that there’s a ton more games played in Sydney against non-Sydney teams too than total games played in Queensland altogether.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
It would get boring fast.

If it's a derby game every week, apathy would set in real quick.

A few times a year is the best result.

Despite what since cookers say, Sydney clubs have big supporter bases in QLD and there games are well attended.
There’s literally at least 1-2 All-Sydney games in Sydney every week. Sydney has the same population as Queensland. I don’t see anybody arguing to cut back the number of All-Sydney games played each week.

Some All-Queensland games will be bigger than others. Just like with All-Sydney games. But just like Sydney crowds benefit from All-Sydney match ups, Queensland crowds will similarly benefit from more All-Queensland games.

Canard

Immortal
There’s literally at least 1-2 All-Sydney games in Sydney every week. Sydney has the same population as Queensland. I don’t see anybody arguing to cut back the number of All-Sydney games played each week.

Some All-Queensland games will be bigger than others. Just like with All-Sydney games. But just like Sydney crowds benefit from All-Sydney match ups, Queensland crowds will similarly benefit from more All-Queensland games.
Yes, Sydney is the example of what not to do.

docbrown

Coach
It's to late to do anything about Sydney, we just have to deal with those legacy clubs.

By why oversaturate and get 8000 to a game like we have in Sydney now?
I disagree that going from 4 to 5 clubs is oversaturation in Queensland.

Here’s the ABS projections for Queensland in 2043 (total population 7.4 million), ten to twenty years being a reasonable timeframe for introducing a fifth team:

Cowboys: Townsville & Cairns - 0.6 million, nearby areas 0.6 million - 1.2 million total

Titans: Gold Coast - 1 million, northern NSW another 0.3 million

Dolphins: Brisbane North/Moreton Bay/Sunshine Coast - 1.6 million plus fans in the rest of the 3.7 million people of Brisbane

Jets: Ipswich/West Brisbane - 1.3 million - plus fans in the rest of Brisbane

Broncos: City - 400k, East - 285k, Logan - 600k, South Brisbane - 460k - 1.6 million - plus fans in the rest of Brisbane

I’d hardly call each team having their own catchment base of 1 to 1.5 million each over saturation.

Adelaide has two fumbleball teams in an area of only 1.3 million - about 650k each - and they average between 30k to 40k. With two to three times that, these Brisbane NRL clubs should be able to average similar numbers.

Canard

Immortal
I disagree that going from 4 to 5 clubs is oversaturation in Queensland.

Here’s the ABS projections for Queensland in 2043 (total population 7.4 million), ten to twenty years being a reasonable timeframe for introducing a fifth team:

Cowboys: Townsville & Cairns - 0.6 million, nearby areas 0.6 million - 1.2 million total

Titans: Gold Coast - 1 million, northern NSW another 0.3 million

Dolphins: Brisbane North/Moreton Bay/Sunshine Coast - 1.6 million plus fans in the rest of the 3.7 million people of Brisbane

Jets: Ipswich/West Brisbane - 1.3 million - plus fans in the rest of Brisbane

Broncos: City - 400k, East - 285k, Logan - 600k, South Brisbane - 460k - 1.6 million - plus fans in the rest of Brisbane

I’d hardly call each team having their own catchment base of 1 to 1.5 million each over saturation.

Adelaide has two fumbleball teams in an area of only 1.3 million - about 650k each - and they average between 30k to 40k. With two to three times that, these Brisbane NRL clubs should be able to average similar numbers.
You can't use AFL as a comparison.

Don't kill the golden goose, leave it to grow organically for at least a Decade.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah the standard for what is considered a "rivalry" is laughable in Australian sport. It's basically just a meaningless marketing buzzword here, and almost all the rivalries and derbies are manufactured corporate products.

Though there were times in the past where there was genuine bad blood between some of these teams, I'd go so far as to say that even SOO, Easts vs Souths, St George vs Cronulla, the big ones in the AFL, etc, are largely astroturfed marketing campaigns these days.
That might be the case but if genuine rivalry is your Rangers vs Celtic type affair with all the attevdant violence and sectarian bs I’ll happily keep our laughable version.

MRN

Juniors
Broncos 6 / +35
Dolphins 2 / +4
Cowboys 2 / -10
Titans 0 / -29

R2: Broncos 28 def Cowboys 16
R4: Dolphins 12 def by Broncos 18
R4: Cowboys 24 def Titans 12
R6: Cowboys 22 def by Dolphins 32
R7: Titans 26 def by Broncos 43

Reflector

Juniors
Disband Wests Tigers (can't get any worse, can it?)

Wests get the licence, move to Campbelltown full-time to focus on nailing down RL as the clear #1 in the coming S-W population boom, as the Western Sydney Magpies. They could become the new PENRITH!!!

Balmain move their operations north, pair up with Easts (QRL) and establish the Brisbane Tigers bid. Play a couple of games a year at Leichardt, the rest at Suncorp. Balmain fans will be able to cheer a competitive team and still go to Leichardt for a couple of NRL matches a year, Brisbane gets another team and the NRL gets another bid tied directly with an existing QRL team.

Dolphins: Northside Brisbane/ Sunshine Coast
Brisbane Tigers: Eastern Brisbane/ Redlands
Broncos: The rest of Brissie