What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future Queensland Derby Games

docbrown

Coach
In a scenario where Queensland gets a 5th team (maybe in an 18 to 20 team comp - who knows?), there will be 20 Queensland derby games every year. Out of pure procrastination (wasting my holidays) I decided to see how the NRL could schedule those games throughout the year. I assumed the 5th team is based in Brisbane and called the Jets (change that as you wish). I also spread out the Brisbane derbies and other teams’ big home games as much as possible.

Round 1: Broncos vs Cowboys @ Brisbane – The Original Queensland Rivalry

Round 2: Titans vs Dolphins @ Gold Coast

Round 3: Jets vs Broncos @ Brisbane – Battle of Brisbane I

Round 4: Cowboys vs Titans @ Townsville – First Cowboys derby game in late March to minimise heat

Round 5: Dolphins vs Cowboys @ Brisbane

Round 6: Easter Weekend – no derby games as other games will get big crowds

Round 7: Cowboys vs Jets @ Townsville, Broncos vs Dolphins @ Brisbane – Battle of Brisbane II

Round 8: Anzac Weekend – no derby games as other games will get big crowds

Round 9: Jets vs Titans @ Brisbane

Round 10: Magic Round – no derby games

Round 11: Titans vs Broncos @ Gold Coast, Dolphins vs Jets @ Brisbane – Battle of Brisbane III

Round 12: No derby games in the lead up to the first Origin match

Round 13: Origin I week – no derby games

Round 14: Broncos vs Titans – King’s Birthday Weekend game

Round 15 to Round 18: No derby games during the rest of the Origin period

Round 19: Jets vs Cowboys @ Brisbane

Round 20: Dolphins vs Broncos @ Brisbane – Battle of Brisbane IV

Round 21: Titans vs Jets @ Gold Coast

Round 22: Cowboys vs Dolphins @ Townsville

Round 23: Broncos vs Jets @ Brisbane – Battle of Brisbane V

Round 24: Titans vs Cowboys @ Gold Coast

Round 25: Dolphins vs Titans @ Brisbane

Round 26: Cowboys vs Broncos @ Townsville – The Original Queensland Rivalry

Round 27: Jets vs Dolphins @ Brisbane – Battle of Brisbane VI

In all honesty, if the NRL were to have a schedule like this I seriously doubt that other sports would get much of a look-in in Queensland.

firechild

First Grade
It really falls outside the realm of derbies doesn't it? At 3 it made sense, mostly because GC have always been pretty irrelevant, now there's the Brisbane derby and the Broncos and Cowboys will maintain a rivalry.

Steel Saints

Juniors
It really falls outside the realm of derbies doesn't it? At 3 it made sense, mostly because GC have always been pretty irrelevant, now there's the Brisbane derby and the Broncos and Cowboys will maintain a rivalry.

Well the only way the Titans can become relevant is to start winning some games and be a more consistent side in the top 8.

Vee

First Grade
Nice idea but the NRL can't design a draw that doesn't have multiple teams playing each other home and away a few weeks apart. It's nice to dream though.

P.S. The Broncos/"Jets" game should be the Bulimba Cup Derby.

MKCS

Juniors
I'd just like to point out that none of these games are really derbies even though the NRL desperately wants them to be for marketing purposes. For those of us who follow football/soccer the true derbies are between teams that truly hate one another and the fans follow suit.

With the Queensland "derbies" there are no real hatred between teams, if the Broncos made the grand final this year and the Cows didn't the Cows fans would still support Brisbane and vice versa. If the Dolphins made the grand final this year I'm sure the Broncos fans would cheer them on as would the rest of the state, QLD enjoys that state pride stuff and good for them.

For me the only true derbies in the NRL are NSW/QLD, Roosters/Souths and MAYBE Manly/Melbourne.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'd just like to point out that none of these games are really derbies even though the NRL desperately wants them to be for marketing purposes. For those of us who follow football/soccer the true derbies are between teams that truly hate one another and the fans follow suit.

With the Queensland "derbies" there are no real hatred between teams, if the Broncos made the grand final this year and the Cows didn't the Cows fans would still support Brisbane and vice versa. If the Dolphins made the grand final this year I'm sure the Broncos fans would cheer them on as would the rest of the state, QLD enjoys that state pride stuff and good for them.

For me the only true derbies in the NRL are NSW/QLD, Roosters/Souths and MAYBE Manly/Melbourne.
Yeah the standard for what is considered a "rivalry" is laughable in Australian sport. It's basically just a meaningless marketing buzzword here, and almost all the rivalries and derbies are manufactured corporate products.

Though there were times in the past where there was genuine bad blood between some of these teams, I'd go so far as to say that even SOO, Easts vs Souths, St George vs Cronulla, the big ones in the AFL, etc, are largely astroturfed marketing campaigns these days.

Marlins

Juniors
Hypothetically if we’re going with the addition of the jets, i would setup a QLD shield/plate with a separate Ladder alongside the NRL only counting the QLD match ups. I would utilize the public holiday matches better, like Sydney, South’s/Dogs, Eels/Tigers, Roosters/Dragons, are all big one offs that have become huge crowd drawers regardless of team performances. I’d avoid having matchups during Origin And setup a run of matches between the sides at the end of the season with the last of the derbies being two a week, finishing 2nd last round of the year. Something like this all competing for the annual QLD Derby Shield.

R1. Jet v Dol, Tit v Bro
R2. Bro v Cow, Tit v Dol
R3. Cow v Dol, Bro v Jet
Good Fri. Jet v Tit
Easter Mon. Dol v Bro
Anzac. Jet v Cow
R18. Cow v Tit
R19. Dol v Tit
R20. Bro v Tit
R21. Dol v Cow
R22. Cow v Jet
R23. Tit v Cow, Jet v Bro
R24. Tit v Jet, Bro v Dol
R25. Cow v Bro, Dol v Jet

MRN

Juniors
Here's the current QLD derby ladder with points and points differential.

Broncos 4 / +18
Dolphins 2 / +4
Cowboys 2 / -10
Titans 0 / -12

Broncos 28 def Cowboys 16
Dolphins 12 def by Broncos 18
Cowboys 24 def Titans 12
Cowboys 22 def by Dolphins 32

Titans v Broncos
Dolphins v Titans
Broncos v Titans
Broncos v Dolphins
Titans v Dolphins
Titans v Cowboys
Cowboys v Broncos
Dolphins v Cowboys

beave

Coach

Tell me you know nothing about NQ fans without telling me you know nothing about NQ fans.

Tell me you know nothing about NQ fans without telling me you know nothing about NQ fans.
Lol he sounds like someone(GROTD) who used to say that the broncos should be every Qlders second team even if you didn’t like them .
As a cows fan I f**kin* despise the Broncos .
Hate them with a passion .

Nice idea but the NRL can't design a draw that doesn't have multiple teams playing each other home and away a few weeks apart. It's nice to dream though.

P.S. The Broncos/"Jets" game should be the Bulimba Cup Derby.
Wheres my Toowoomba team😂
grew up going to athletic oval with about 10k ( kids everywhere) squashed in to watch the Bulimba Cup .
great memories .

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeh let’s not try to market /build rivalry between teams like every other sport in the world does.
& the same people would be first to complain that the NRL aren’t doing enough to promote the games .
It's possible to market games effectively without exaggerating their importance and the emotional investment in them to the point that it's taking the piss.

The NRL, Nine, and Fox's marketing often tries to depict every derby and rivalry in the game as if they're up there with rivalries like the Old Firm or Superclasico when they just aren't, and all it does is undermine their authenticity.

Their marketing comes across like a dodgy used car salesmen or a bad real-estate agent, and does nothing to build those matches into the rivalries they wish they were. If anything it hurts their chances of that kind of thing developing naturally a lot of the time.

Canard

Immortal
Your kidding if you think Cowboys fans would support the Broncos in anything. I'm fact that's pure ignorance.

I don't have any real affinity for the Dolphins per se either, but because Fox and LU have death ridden them so hard Ill cheer them a bit. Their main attribute though is that they are not the Broncos.

The OP shows that saturating a market is a bad idea, and why we shouldn't add to QLD for at least a Decade or more.

It's also crazy that LU will only give legitimacy to a rivalry that includes fans killing each other or destructive hooliganism.

Canard

Immortal
It's possible to market games effectively without exaggerating their importance and the emotional investment in them to the point that it's taking the piss.

The NRL, Nine, and Fox's marketing often tries to depict every derby and rivalry in the game as if they're up there with rivalries like the Old Firm or Superclasico when they just aren't, and all it does is undermine their authenticity.

Their marketing comes across like a dodgy used car salesmen or a bad real-estate agent, and does nothing to build those matches into the rivalries they wish they were. If anything it hurts their chances of that kind of thing developing naturally a lot of the time.
Unless people are killed, it's not a real rivalry.