What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future Rugby League Stars

Dragon David

First Grade

Harry Bath

Juniors
Just wanting to post a thread on the stars of the future with this years NSW Blues and QLD Maroons squads for the Under 19's SOO being played on Thursday 20 June 2024 at Leichhardt Oval.

Cheers guys.
What happened to last years NSW Blues juniors, Tamale has been nowhere near first grade and is now headed to Raiders, means nothing to develop top talent unless they progress to First Grade, we seem to continually pick the wrong players

TheRev

First Grade
Cant wait for the game.. see some of our stars really tested, I thought Tonga was 19, that says hes only 18.. so younger than I realised...

Hutchinson is a late call up for QLD I read, not mentioned in the article.. he is very unlucky to not be on a dev contract for next year (we just have so many forwards), hes more dynamic than the rest.. I rly like him.

TheRev

First Grade
What happened to last years NSW Blues juniors, Tamale has been nowhere near first grade and is now headed to Raiders, means nothing to develop top talent unless they progress to First Grade, we seem to continually pick the wrong players
Last year we had Tamale and Nick T:

o Nick T: Had some injuries early 2024... but when he eventually got his gig in Flegg he has been killing it.. well he was.. I think he copped 2 suspensions? I think hes a bit of a firebrand.. I love this kid though, rly keen to get him into NSW Cup asap, he has an NRL Development contract with us next year.... he has almost nothing in common with Egan, same position but such different beasts..

o Tamale: Seems like he will be at canberra next year (think its in cooling off), I dont think we know/knew what to do with this one, such a high-touted rugby prospect, he seems in a rush and I dont know where his best position is.. he has a rly strong running game.. well.. not in between players, more at players.. its great for carrying the ball back from fullback, (like his highlight reel is awesome) but there is so much more to that position... I just dont know what to do with him.. I am dissapointed he is going, but im much more excited about WIlliams as a pure winger and as a fullback maybe a BRumble or TPH.. Tamale is a good 1-2yrs ahead of em though.. Tamale seems older but hes only 19 but had a lot of reserve grade.. it sux and im sure there are reasons around attitude or his ability to learn league.... but I dont think we've lost an origin star or anything... it is what it is...

Harry Bath

Juniors

o Nick T: Had some injuries early 2024... but when he eventually got his gig in Flegg he has been killing it.. well he was.. I think he copped 2 suspensions? I think hes a bit of a firebrand.. I love this kid though, rly keen to get him into NSW Cup asap, he has an NRL Development contract with us next year.... he has almost nothing in common with Egan, same position but such different beasts..

o Tamale: Seems like he will be at canberra next year (think its in cooling off), I dont think we know/knew what to do with this one, such a high-touted rugby prospect, he seems in a rush and I dont know where his best position is.. he has a rly strong running game.. well.. not in between players, more at players.. its great for carrying the ball back from fullback, (like his highlight reel is awesome) but there is so much more to that position... I just dont know what to do with him.. I am dissapointed he is going, but im much more excited about WIlliams as a pure winger and as a fullback maybe a BRumble or TPH.. Tamale is a good 1-2yrs ahead of em though.. Tamale seems older but hes only 19 but had a lot of reserve grade.. it sux and im sure there are reasons around attitude or his ability to learn league.... but I dont think we've lost an origin star or anything... it is what it is...
Ok for the records mark me down as stating he will represent at State of Origin level in the next few years, a real footy player, watch this space...

Gareth67

First Grade
Pasifica Tonga is the ideal player that is required for the future success of the Dragons .

Let’s hope that the young man is secured to a contract at the Big Red V for many years to come - preferably one without some blood-sucking agent being involved with.

Perhaps Flanagan could blood him in the NRL next season , his big frame would certainly not be out of place in our pack and would serve him well in the rough and tumble of 1st grade .

Last edited:

ALX25

Bench
Hutchinson is a late call up for QLD I read, not mentioned in the article.. he is very unlucky to not be on a dev contract for next year (we just have so many forwards), hes more dynamic than the rest.. I rly like him.

Plenty of DOB errors in that article.

Yes, no idea what has gone down in QLD U19 camp but that is now the second change to the squad. A big congrats to Ryan on the work he has done. A shame TPH isn't named in the squad either.

TheRev

First Grade
Plenty of DOB errors in that article.
Appreciate that, I would have taken it at face value...

It's rly hard to track the DOB of these guys, i know that seems a bit creepy (like why is it any of our business).. but u rly need to know how old they r to kind of weigh up who will be ready when.. who can still play another year in a given grade etc... for example I think Kade Reed might be 17.. whereas his teammates might be 19.. huge difference despite playing in the same SG team.

TheRev

First Grade
I got a bit emotional watching the womens team.. felt like Dragons v QLD.. 8 of them.. Kasey Reh looks like a freakin superstar..mini andrew johns.

boys all played well too.. hope they continue to step up well.. hard to believe someone like Chevy is a 1st grader already.. our boys are playing U21s still.

redv13

Bench

Correct rev. Nick got a week after the bulldogs game, great front on shot, even the ref is heard on the commentary as saying the tackle was fine.

Then the doozy was the Parra game, their half goes to the line, Nick lined him up, set himself and went into the tackle as the halfback passed and cleaned him up, not high, wrapping motion with his arms and barely 0.5 sec after he passed. Again the ref had no issue and play carried on and Nick makes the tackle on the player that received the ball.

Bit tough on him though, these officials expect players to literally disappear when they are already in motion. Got 2 weeks for that, both very rough calls by the match review turkeys

TheRev

First Grade
Correct rev. Nick got a week after the bulldogs game, great front on shot, even the ref is heard on the commentary as saying the tackle was fine.

Then the doozy was the Parra game, their half goes to the line, Nick lined him up, set himself and went into the tackle as the halfback passed and cleaned him up, not high, wrapping motion with his arms and barely 0.5 sec after he passed. Again the ref had no issue and play carried on and Nick makes the tackle on the player that received the ball.

Bit tough on him though, these officials expect players to literally disappear when they are already in motion. Got 2 weeks for that, both very rough calls by the match review turkeys
good to know what the suspensions were for thanks mate, sounds like not foul play, but hes an aggressive 2nd rower (as he should be) whos probably going to get the ire of officials from time to time.. it might be easier in higher grades where there are more video angles and its expected for him to be putting on hits..

Without wanting to sound bias, I had Loko Jr as the stand out Blues forward last nite. His 121k, 196cm frame simply monstered the Maroons line, as three even four blokes struggled to stop this powerhouse even from almost a standing start. His RMs & PCMs were massive.
His bookend partner Seve impressed too as did Lahrs and edgie McEwen.

Last edited:
Was disappointed with the Blues structure, very forward centric with Dragon Hayden Buchanan and the other Blues outside backs barely touching the ball. Cant say the same for their custodian Stewart who ran like a startled gazelle.

Last edited:

Latest posts