What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FW1 - SAT - North Queensland 20 Bulldogs 18

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
After I asked him/her to - edited the post. ;-)

It's also not hard to put together a coherent sentence - why not give it a shot? Is it just laziness?

CowMan

Juniors
Timmah said:
After I asked him/her to - edited the post. ;-)

It's also not hard to put together a coherent sentence - why not give it a shot? Is it just laziness?

i edited my post WAY befor you even responded

your a Real Dick some times timmah ay

Timmah

Staff member
Last edited by Cowbittoh : Today at 09:45 PM.

Posted by Timmah : Today, 09:45 PM.

CowMan

Juniors
Last edited by Cowbittoh : Today at 09:45.01 maybe ?

Posted by Timmah : Today, 09:45.59 Maybe ?

Timmah

Staff member
Bulldogs to target Thurston on the sly

Greg Prichard | September 7, 2007

The suspension of Sonny Bill Williams for his late and high hit on Johnathan Thurston won't stop the Bulldogs from putting the heat on the North Queensland playmaker again tomorrow night - they just plan to be smarter about it this time.

"You have to try to cut down the amount of time he's got with the ball in his hands," Bulldogs captain and second-rower Andrew Ryan said yesterday. "You've got to try to get to him, but not go outside the boundaries.

"It [the challenge by Williams] went a bit wrong, but that can happen sometimes … We've still got to try to put pressure on him, but we've got to do it without breaking the rules."

Ryan said the Bulldogs were well aware of what they had to improve on their performance against the same opponents in last weekend's final round. The Cowboys led 38-10 before Thurston left the field midway through the second half and the Bulldogs rallied to within six points.

"We didn't match them for attitude and enthusiasm," Ryan said. "They were bouncing up to play the ball quickly and I think our defence was a bit off the pace. They beat us through the middle of the ruck. They've got players like [Aaron] Payne and [David] Faiumu who are good at taking off quickly and getting out of there.

"They worked well on the ground. You've got to do that, but we didn't do it nearly well enough. We weren't patient enough. We took a few wrong options and we didn't play for the 80 minutes. We need to be intense and patient and get our defence right for 80 minutes. We're in that position where, if we lose, we won't know what is going to happen to us until the rest of the games are played. We don't want to have to go through that."

If they lose at Dairy Farmers Stadium, the sixth-placed Bulldogs will have to depend on both seventh-placed South Sydney (against Manly at Brookvale Oval tomorrow night) and eighth-placed Brisbane (against Melbourne at Olympic Park on Sunday) losing the remaining qualifying finals.

The Dogs have lost Williams, but get fellow representative forward Mark O'Meley back from injury.

North Queensland, meanwhile, are without four regular starting forwards - injured trio Luke O'Donnell, Shane Tronc and Steve Southern, and the suspended Sione Faumuina.

Chief executive Peter Parr said yesterday that it was impossible to fluke a win against a Bulldogs pack that last week included Ryan, Williams, Willie Mason and Reni Maitua, and that the North Queensland forwards had not got the credit they deserved.

"People tend to not rate guys like Sam Faust, Matt Bartlett and Mark Henry just because they don't know them," Parr said. "But that's not fair. If you have a closer look, you'll see that they can play. They bring enthusiasm and a great attitude to their job.

"They don't pretend they are Sonny Bill Williams. They're not attention seekers. They just concentrate on doing their job, and they're doing it pretty well at the moment. A team doesn't win five games in a row, like we have, unless its forwards are firing.

"Our forwards are very determined in defence. They are effective and they deserve more credit than people give them. But it doesn't really bother them. The reward, for them, is that they get to play in front of a big home crowd again this week."

Parr said the Cowboys were expecting a different Bulldogs team this time. "They're going to be fired up, that's for sure," he said. "After last week, they'll come back here with the mentality that they know what they have to do if they want to win and it will be up to us to stop them again."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...ston-on-the-sly/2007/09/06/1188783416152.html

Timmah

Staff member
The big stage is what matters: Folkes

September 6, 2007 - 7:52PM

Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes has put one of the club's most precious commodities on the line in Saturday's NRL qualifying final against North Queensland - their fearsome reputation as a big-match team.

The Dogs of War love September, or so goes the mythology, but Folkes said that pillar of the NRL would be tested by the clash at Dairy Farmers Stadium in Townsville.

To prove it is true, the Bulldogs need to bounce back from a 38-32 loss in an identical fixture in last week's final round.

Asked if his side was the better big-game team, Folkes said: "It's hard to say, we certainly haven't been of late.

"I think our reputation is that we turn up when the big games are on and we get a chance to test that on Saturday night, so we'll see."

The sixth-placed Dogs, who will be without suspended superstar Sonny Bill Williams, could be bundled out of the finals with a loss if either South Sydney beat Manly or Brisbane upset Melbourne.

"We're not relying on anyone else getting beaten, we need to win ourselves so that's the only thing we've focused on," Folkes said as his side flew out of Sydney.

"We haven't discussed the fact that we may still get through if seven and eight lose but we want to have our destiny in our own hands."

To hold that destiny, the Dogs will need to do something different after allowing the Cowboys to rack up a 38-10 lead last Friday before adding some respectability to the scoreboard.

Folkes said he was taking his side to Townsville earlier this week than last but gave little away as to how his game-plan would change.

"I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you," was his dead-pan response to that query.

Fullback Luke Patten, whose battle with Dally M fullback of the year Matt Bowen will interest Test selectors, was more forthright about the changes needed to be made by the Dogs.

"Attitude in defence is going to be the difference," he said.

"We've done all the talk. All year pretty much we've talked it up and we sort of haven't performed all year.

"So this week it's no talking, we've got to get out there and just let our performance do the talking."

Another difference was Patten refusing to back forward Willie Mason's comment before last week's match that the Cowboys were a two-man team of Bowen and halfback Johnathan Thurston.

"No, it's a ridiculous statement," he said.

"They've got blokes that can hurt you all over the field. We'll be giving them the respect they deserve."

The Dogs will not be easing the kick pressure on Thurston despite Williams suspension this week for a late and high shot on the Cowboys star.

"We're going out there and we're going to put pressure on him. We have to so we won't be going easy on anyone," Patten said.

"There'll be nothing dirty, there won't be anything illegal about it but we'll be getting at him."

The Dogs received a huge boost when Williams had his striking charge downgraded by the NRL judiciary on Wednesday night, meaning he'll only miss his side's first final and will be back should they progress beyond week one.

"It's a great relief to the team," Patten said.

"Everyone knows what Sonny's influence on the game can be and I think it's the right decision that it got downgraded.

"If everyone else maybe lifts their work rate and effort then we can definitely cover for him so I'm still very confident."

© 2007 AAP

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/the-big-stage-is-what-matters-folkes/20072906-xiz.html

Shorty

Staff member
Timmah said:
Bulldogs to target Thurston on the sly

Greg Prichard | September 7, 2007

The suspension of Sonny Bill Williams for his late and high hit on Johnathan Thurston won't stop the Bulldogs from putting the heat on the North Queensland playmaker again tomorrow night - they just plan to be smarter about it this time.

"You have to try to cut down the amount of time he's got with the ball in his hands," Bulldogs captain and second-rower Andrew Ryan said yesterday. "You've got to try to get to him, but not go outside the boundaries.

"It [the challenge by Williams] went a bit wrong, but that can happen sometimes … We've still got to try to put pressure on him, but we've got to do it without breaking the rules."

Ryan said the Bulldogs were well aware of what they had to improve on their performance against the same opponents in last weekend's final round. The Cowboys led 38-10 before Thurston left the field midway through the second half and the Bulldogs rallied to within six points.

"We didn't match them for attitude and enthusiasm," Ryan said. "They were bouncing up to play the ball quickly and I think our defence was a bit off the pace. They beat us through the middle of the ruck. They've got players like [Aaron] Payne and [David] Faiumu who are good at taking off quickly and getting out of there.

"They worked well on the ground. You've got to do that, but we didn't do it nearly well enough. We weren't patient enough. We took a few wrong options and we didn't play for the 80 minutes. We need to be intense and patient and get our defence right for 80 minutes. We're in that position where, if we lose, we won't know what is going to happen to us until the rest of the games are played. We don't want to have to go through that."

If they lose at Dairy Farmers Stadium, the sixth-placed Bulldogs will have to depend on both seventh-placed South Sydney (against Manly at Brookvale Oval tomorrow night) and eighth-placed Brisbane (against Melbourne at Olympic Park on Sunday) losing the remaining qualifying finals.

The Dogs have lost Williams, but get fellow representative forward Mark O'Meley back from injury.

North Queensland, meanwhile, are without four regular starting forwards - injured trio Luke O'Donnell, Shane Tronc and Steve Southern, and the suspended Sione Faumuina.

Chief executive Peter Parr said yesterday that it was impossible to fluke a win against a Bulldogs pack that last week included Ryan, Williams, Willie Mason and Reni Maitua, and that the North Queensland forwards had not got the credit they deserved.

"People tend to not rate guys like Sam Faust, Matt Bartlett and Mark Henry just because they don't know them," Parr said. "But that's not fair. If you have a closer look, you'll see that they can play. They bring enthusiasm and a great attitude to their job.

"They don't pretend they are Sonny Bill Williams. They're not attention seekers. They just concentrate on doing their job, and they're doing it pretty well at the moment. A team doesn't win five games in a row, like we have, unless its forwards are firing.

"Our forwards are very determined in defence. They are effective and they deserve more credit than people give them. But it doesn't really bother them. The reward, for them, is that they get to play in front of a big home crowd again this week."

Parr said the Cowboys were expecting a different Bulldogs team this time. "They're going to be fired up, that's for sure," he said. "After last week, they'll come back here with the mentality that they know what they have to do if they want to win and it will be up to us to stop them again."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/dogs-to-target-thurston-on-the-sly/2007/09/06/1188783416152.html
The Bulldogs are slow enough as it is,if they target Thurston too much they'll get carved up.

Timmah

Staff member
Yep, the Cowboys are just awesome and they're a million times better than the 'Dogs.

Keep getting cocky plz :)

Timmah

Staff member
LATE MAIL

Second qualifying final: Neil Sweeney is the player omitted from North Queensland's 18-man squad. He is on standby in case of an injury in the warm-up as the Young Guns are away in Brisbane. The Bulldogs flew north yesterday with just the nominated 17 men. Suspended Sonny Bill Williams will be a spectator. North Queensland are shooting for their sixth consecutive win. Over the past five games, they've averaged 31 points. The Dogs have a poor recent record against the Cowboys, winning just two of their past seven games.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22377737-5001023,00.html

Timmah

Staff member
Well do tell me, what did you mean? Just sounded like you were trying to toot the Thurston/Cowboys horn.

All that has to happen is for the Bulldogs to get and maintain the majority of possession and we're looking at a solid victory.

Shorty

Staff member
I mean if the 'Dogs try and focus on Thurston too much the Cows will take advantage of that.
It's got nothing to do with confidence,it's just what I think will happen.

Just like if the Rabbitohs try and do the same thing with Manly.
And the Bulldogs are slow.

You're the one that appears cocky to me.

Timmah

Staff member
Cocky? Do you even know what cocky means?

If I was cocky I'd be parading around saying we have the better team, that we're favourites and should win convincingly.

Consult a dictionary if you're going to try the "I know you are I said you are" routine.

I'm sure players like Daryl Millard and Benny Roberts beg to differ about slowness.

Your forward pack are soft btw.

Shorty

Staff member
Timmah said:
Cocky? Do you even know what cocky means?

If I was cocky I'd be parading around saying we have the better team, that we're favourites and should win convincingly.
Which you're doing...
Timmah said:
Consult a dictionary if you're going to try the "I know you are I said you are" routine.
Nothing I've said is 'cocky' I suggest you look it up,I have merely said what will happen if they focus on Thurston.
It's not that hard to understand,you're throwing a hissy because I think your precious team has faults.
Timmah said:
Your forward pack are soft btw.
No sh*t sherlock.

Timmah

Staff member
When have I paraded around claiming we should be favourites? All I'm doing is having some faith in my team. Based on last week's performance we are unlikely to win but the last 20 is a whole different kettle of fish and of big concern for the Cowboys. The Dogs played some real expansive football in that period and if we can do that with Thurston on the field, the Dally M winner won't make a difference.

The game could go either way - both heart and head say the 'Dogs, the heart by 16, head by 2.

Nothing I've said is 'cocky' I suggest you look it up,I have merely said what will happen if they focus on Thurston.
It's not that hard to understand,you're throwing a hissy because I think your precious team has faults.
Have you missed the bit where you act EXACTLY the same any time ANYONE dares criticise the Cowboys?

CowMan

Juniors
Funny how the dogs r doing all the talking again EG how they are gona target thurston and all that crap
and all the cowboys are sayen are that they know how good the dogs can be after a loose and and how they step up during the finals

Will be an interesting game come saturday iam glad ill be there

Latest posts