What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galaxy of Stars Left in Limbo

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
FORTY-TWO players with Test and/or State of Origin experience remain unsigned for next year as the league world awaits the fallout from the Melbourne salary cap investigation.

A total of 108 players are off contract as NRL clubs hold off on the shopping list of talent until Deloitte finally announces its findings this week. Some of the biggest names in rugby league, including Willie Mason, Michael Jennings, Brett Kimmorley, Luke O'Donnell, Ben Hornby, Brett Finch, Steve Matai, Michael Gordon, Frank Pritchard, Carl Webb, Eric Grothe and Mat Rogers are still without a home for next season.

The transfer market has come to a grinding halt as clubs await the outcome of a forensic investigation into the extent of salary cap rorting at the Storm. The lengthy process has clouded the futures of superstars, journeymen and rookies alike. While some players are fretting over their future, that's not the case with Mason. It's understood that the North Queensland forward has received interest from four Sydney clubs - Cronulla, Parramatta, Manly and former club Canterbury - as well as Newcastle and the Warriors. Rugby union is also another option.

''When you're concentrating on playing good footy, everything else will look after itself,'' Mason told The Sun-Herald. ''I haven't played rep football for two years and that has really freshened me up. Hopefully I've changed people's perceptions of me, I've been out of sight and out of mind.

''I don't say too much, just concentrate on my footy. I can handle the pressure on me, I backed myself to sign a one-year deal and I'm pretty confident things will sort something.

''I'd give North Queensland first option because they have shown me respect and given me a chance, but if things don't work out I could come back to Sydney. I've grown up a lot here and I still think my best football is in front of me.''

While Mason is happy to bide his time, it's a more anxious wait for other players. Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys reflected the mood of many clubs when he said: ''We are waiting for the Melbourne issue to clear because that will prompt some movement, you would think.''

There are also a number of players who are not on the official free-agent list but could move on from their clubs. For instance, Blake Ferguson will activate a get-out clause in his contract that allows him to follow coach Ricky Stuart out of Cronulla at the end of the season. Former Kangaroos back-rower Anthony Tupou has the same clause in his deal but is likely to stay put.

At the Bulldogs, captain Andrew Ryan and fullback Luke Patten are contracted for 2011, but the club has given the veterans permission to explore options overseas as a reward for loyal service. There could also be several players returning to Australia from the Super League, with the likes of Mark Riddell, Paul Whatuira and Steve Bell set to hit the open market.

Another former Australian forward, Reni Maitua, is expected to make his return to the NRL next May after he finishes serving a two-year drug ban. The 28-year-old has several clubs prepared to offer him a lifeline.

Several NRL clubs have been circling the Storm's Jeff Lima but the Kiwi prop is close to securing a deal overseas. Several other players - including Brett White, Anthony Quinn, Ryan Hoffman and Sika Manu - are among a group who have been given permission to leave or have been offered contracts from rival teams.

While most clubs have put off their recruitment plans until the findings of Deloitte's forensic investigation is complete, one leading manager warned that strategy could backfire.

''The only ones waiting for the Storm stuff to settle are the clubs which aren't proactive,'' he said. ''They're the ones that are looking for a bargain but end up paying overs.''

Of most interest to NRL clubs is the fate of Melbourne's ''big four'' - Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith and Greg Inglis. The vultures are circling in the hope that the club will have to shed at least one of the stars to fit under the cap next year.

Broncos

Lagi Setu
Ashton SIms

Bulldogs

Blake Green
Brett Kimorley
Danny Williams
Heke Nanai
Shane Neumann
Corey Payne
Yillen Gordon
Jarrad Hickey
Tim Winatana
Ryan Tandy
Brad Morrin
Luke Patten
Andrew Ryan
Joel Romelo

Cowboys

Luke O'Donnell
Willie Mason
John Williams
Grant Rovelli
Steve Southern
Carl Webb
Ty Williams

Dragons

Ben Hornby
Micheal Greenfield
Luke Priddis
Ricky Thorby
Micheal Left
Nick Emmet
Matt Prior
Jon Green
Jake Marketo

Eels

Jonathon Wright
Eric Grothe
Brendan Oake
Justin Horo

Knights

Scott Dureau
George Ndaira
Adam Macdougall
Steve Simpson
Ben Cross
Sione Tovo
Joel Edwards

Panthers

Wade Graham
Frank Pritchard
Frank Puletua
Micheal Jennings
Micheal Gordon
Gavin Cooper
Brad Tighe
Shane Elford
Maurice Blair
Nigel Plum

Rabbitohs

Shannan McPherson
Beau Fallon
Ben Ross
Garret Crossman
Rhys Wesser
Luke Capewell

Roosters

Anthony Minichello
James Aubusson
Nick Kouparitsis

Sea Eagles

Ben Farrar
Steve Matai
Terence Seu Seu

Sharks

Trent Barret
Luke Covell
Blake Ferguson
Grant Millington
Taulima Tautai
Issac Gordon
Josh Cordoba
Stuart Flanagan

Storm

Brett Finch
Luke MacDougall
Dane Nielsen
Hep Cahill
Willie Isa
Sinbad Kali

Tigers

Daniel Fitzhenry
Taniela Tuiaki

Titans

Aaron Cummings
Brad Meyers
Shannon Walker
Jordan Atkins
Clinton Toopi
Mat Rogers
Marshall Chalk
Selasi Berdie
Josh Graham

Warriors

Jesse Royal

English Super League

Paul Whatuira
Luke Dorn
Lee Te Maari
Luke Williamson
Reni Maitua
Mark Riddel
Shaun Berrigan
Francis Meli
Casey Maguire
Mitchell Sargent
Steve Bell
Chris Nero

Just thought i would post this and see if anyone would want any of these players at the broncos. I for one wouldn't mind seeing Shaun Berrigan come back because of his versatility.

D

Deleted member 10972

Just adding, Martin Kennedy and Lopini Paea are off contract too.

applesauce

Bench
Greg Inglis - obvious reasons
Micheal Gordon - goal kicking/take antonio's spot.
Jordan Atkins - Obviously big wraps on the kid, handy for 5/8th after Locky, be nice to have a halves option besides Norman and if Hunt now sticks to acting half or turns out to be a dud 7.

Other than that I think we have a great squad for next year, with depth in key positions.

hellteam

First Grade
Greg Inglis - obvious reasons
Micheal Gordon - goal kicking/take antonio's spot.
Jordan Atkins - Obviously big wraps on the kid, handy for 5/8th after Locky, be nice to have a halves option besides Norman and if Hunt now sticks to acting half or turns out to be a dud 7.

Other than that I think we have a great squad for next year, with depth in key positions.

Jordan Atkins is a winger... I think you mean Jordan Rankin

To be honest none of those players interest me that much, except for as you said Greg Inglis.

Gordon would be alright but he'd come at more of a cost now because he's played Origin and if so I don't think he'd be worth it

AuDragon

Juniors
Of that whole list, I would only be interested in a centre and a winger, because I think we lack a bit of depth with only Gagai and Copley promissing in the U20's.

- Greg Inglis (not on the list, but for obvious reasons)
- Michael Jennings
- Taniela Tuiaki (if fully recovered from injury)
- Blake Ferguson

applesauce

Bench
Jordan Atkins is a winger... I think you mean Jordan Rankin

To be honest none of those players interest me that much, except for as you said Greg Inglis.

Gordon would be alright but he'd come at more of a cost now because he's played Origin and if so I don't think he'd be worth it

Opps I did mean Rankin :lol:

Pierced Soul

First Grade
wouldnt berrigan be about 40 now? i think we have enough outside backs, or course you'd always make room for inglis....

forwards are looking pretty good now and some of the younger blokes now know whats requried

AuDragon

Juniors
wouldnt berrigan be about 40 now? i think we have enough outside backs, or course you'd always make room for inglis....

forwards are looking pretty good now and some of the younger blokes now know whats requried
Enough backs? Not sure I agree there...

FB - Hoffman (Gagai U20)
W - Yow Yeh, Kemp (Copley, Rivett, both U20)
C - Hodges...? (Rhys Matsen, U20)
5/8 - Lockyer, Norman
H/B - Wallace, Hunt

Of course, you could count Te'o, Glenn and Gillett as centres, but I'd prefer another genuine strike centre in the team, especially if Hodges injury turns sour... :(

I'd seriously keep an eye on Blake Ferguson, besides the obvious Inglis.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Enough backs? Not sure I agree there...

FB - Hoffman (Gagai U20)
W - Yow Yeh, Kemp (Copley, Rivett, both U20)
C - Hodges...? (Rhys Matsen, U20)
5/8 - Lockyer, Norman
H/B - Wallace, Hunt

Of course, you could count Te'o, Glenn and Gillett as centres, but I'd prefer another genuine strike centre in the team, especially if Hodges injury turns sour... :(

I'd seriously keep an eye on Blake Ferguson, besides the obvious Inglis.

Including players who are versatile and can cover a number of positions:
1 - Hoffman (Kemp, Beale, Norman, Gagai and even Hodgo or Yow Yeh if none of the previous are available)
2,5 - Yow Yeh, Kemp (Beale, Rivett, Copley, Gagai)
3,4 - Hodgo, ? (Copley, Beale, Glenn, Gillett, Te'o)
6 - Locky (Norman, Hunt)
7 - Wallace (Hunt, Norman)

I'm not disagreeing with you I was just adding in some of the options you missed as we have more depth than you think.

In saying that though, our wing depth is a bit scary if we cop a long term injury to one of our wingers.

I remember about a month or two ago there was an article getting around that Daniel Vidot was keen to come to Tits/Broncos due to family reasons or something alike. He would be an awesome signing if he was still keen to come up North.

Blake Fergusson seems to be leaving Sharks and I agree that he would be a good pickup but for the right price.

Also I have heard things that Dury Low is on his way out of Canberra so maybe he could be a decent depth signing?

Ehh, we will just have to wait and see what happens between now and seasons end I suppose.