What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galea

White Tiger

Juniors
simon says said:
I have issues with Prince too.Great with the ball in hand but his kicking his been horrible.We cannot be a top team if we cant put pressure on teams on the last tackle.It makes my blood boil when we just hand the ball back while others sides murder us with repeat sets........

Im hoping that Benji gets back ASAP and takes some(kicking)pressure of him.I know Bunji has a top class kicking game.......I reckon that if we could have got some repeat sets that we could have got a decent lead.Instead we were 0-0 after 20 mins of superiority.Thats what I find worrying.

Just wondering, how do you know, have you seen it ?

Not being sarcastic either :D

PS - is Bunji the half we bought from india :lol: :lol: :lol:

simon says

First Grade
Yes I have seen it.I saw him play for his schoolboy side and for the Tiger Cubs.Both games he was the kicker and he was VERY GOOD.Short and long kicking game was first class.

And I say Bunji so the Kiwis understand who I am talking about.... ;-) ;-)

tracietiga

Juniors
Hey b tiger i despise you saying i must have been a Magpie supporter .
Why would that stand out in my post .
Now i do not want to play your childish game , but i cant recall Balmain ever being much of a threat in their dieing days either .

Get used to losing because at this stage we can beat the lower sides , but to match it with the top sides we need everything to go our way in every aspect of the game .

I only rate 3 sides who can win the premiership and they are the sides we will struggle with .

We need at least 3 classy footballers to compete with the big boys .
I also believe our forwards are not our biggest problem .

And to Insaneink maybe youd be happy if the score was 44- 4 , at least it wouldnt be to nil .lol.

bonstonker

Juniors
B_Tiger said:
Are you kidding? Prince has been top quality all season. The newspaper article you refer to said sheens sat him down and said he was happy with his form but wanted him to attack more, that isn't harsh criticism of a player. His kicking game has been excellent. Sure he kicks it to the fullback on the full often but I'd say that was due to poor go forward by the forwards rather then poor play by prince. It's ideal to have a quick play the ball after a decent run on fourth tackle giving the kicker time and space. We have dumbarses like senter taking a 2 metre run from dummy half and not managing a quick play the ball, thus allowing the defense to get set and attack the kicker. He rarely gets a decent set up for a kick but when he does it usually ends up at the back of the in-goal. The whole side broke down against the roosters, it is unfair to target him for the 5th tackle options. After having sh*t halves like jeffries, withers, black and tippett I can't believe you all aren't rapped with a player like prince.

what an absolute load of crap.

and you have no clue about the article i am referring to.

here is part of the article

Touted as one of coach Tim Sheens's key signings as he attempts to rebuild the club, Prince said he put pressure on himself not only to perform but also to stay free of injuries. While he has so far played in every premiership match for the club, Prince had not been happy with his form until last Sunday, when he spearheaded the Tigers to a 30-22 win over Manly.

The club's previous match, a 39-10 thrashing by St George Illawarra, was "the worst game I'd ever played in the NRL", he said of the performance that prompted Sheens to pull him aside for a heart-to-heart.

"Last week, I just put my body on the line and had one of my better games but it's taken a while for me to get over the injuries, mentally," Prince said.

"You don't like to say it's in the back of your mind but somewhere it is. I didn't want to come here and be a waste of money, to put it bluntly. I wanted to come here and do a job for the club week in and week out without getting injured and I was playing like that, just as if I was trying to get through each week.

"My family and friends could see it and Tim and the coaching staff could see it. It's a fine line. I had a talk with Tim about it and he said pro football is living on the edge, injuries happen every day.

"There's 16 other blokes out there putting their bodies on the line, so you've got to do the same for them. There's no point me going half-hearted. If an injury happens, it happens. You either go hard or you go home."

yeah b_tiger,he really sounds like a player who as you say "is in brilliant form this season" :roll:

and when i say 5th tackle options,i'm not talking about his kicking form.i'm talking about the amount of times we get to the last and he is nowhere to be seen.forwards kicking,and a lack of organization has been all too often this year.

if he was in brilliant form,this simply wouldn't be happening.
after the manly game i said i was happy that he finally took charge out there when reynolds was injured,but that was a 15min burst.these 15min bursts each week are not what a top halfback does.

i don't know about anybody else,but i am now seeing why bennett was so reluctant to give him more playing time last year.

he has the ability,and i hope he produces on a lot more consistent basis,because our backline really needs someone to take total control out there.

every week you seem to be asking for someones head b_tiger,and you go on and on about not accepting mediocrity,yet you have all the excuses for prince and to top it off you think he is in brilliant form.

give me a f**king break. :roll:

simon says

First Grade
bonstonker said:
[quote="
and when i say 5th tackle options,i'm not talking about his kicking form.i'm talking about the amount of times we get to the last and he is nowhere to be seen.forwards kicking,and a lack of organization has been all too often this year.

after the manly game i said i was happy that he finally took charge out there when reynolds was injured,but that was a 15min burst.these 15min bursts each week are not what a top halfback does.
Spot on Bon.He plays for 15 mins and dissapears.There is no dount he is the best half we ahve had,but the bloke needs to play for 80 mins.And do some decent kicks.....

innsaneink

Referee
tracietiga said:
Hey b tiger i despise you saying i must have been a Magpie supporter .
Why would that stand out in my post .
Now i do not want to play your childish game , but i cant recall Balmain ever being much of a threat in their dieing days either .

Get used to losing because at this stage we can beat the lower sides , but to match it with the top sides we need everything to go our way in every aspect of the game .

I only rate 3 sides who can win the premiership and they are the sides we will struggle with .

We need at least 3 classy footballers to compete with the big boys .
I also believe our forwards are not our biggest problem .

And to Insaneink maybe youd be happy if the score was 44- 4 , at least it wouldnt be to nil .lol.
If you find this amusing then you're an idiot. :roll:

I had my suspicions...now confirmed.

You obviously dont know what your on about. :lol:

B_Tiger

Juniors
bonstonker said:
B_Tiger said:
Are you kidding? Prince has been top quality all season. The newspaper article you refer to said sheens sat him down and said he was happy with his form but wanted him to attack more, that isn't harsh criticism of a player. His kicking game has been excellent. Sure he kicks it to the fullback on the full often but I'd say that was due to poor go forward by the forwards rather then poor play by prince. It's ideal to have a quick play the ball after a decent run on fourth tackle giving the kicker time and space. We have dumbarses like senter taking a 2 metre run from dummy half and not managing a quick play the ball, thus allowing the defense to get set and attack the kicker. He rarely gets a decent set up for a kick but when he does it usually ends up at the back of the in-goal. The whole side broke down against the roosters, it is unfair to target him for the 5th tackle options. After having sh*t halves like jeffries, withers, black and tippett I can't believe you all aren't rapped with a player like prince.

what an absolute load of crap.

and you have no clue about the article i am referring to.

here is part of the article

Touted as one of coach Tim Sheens's key signings as he attempts to rebuild the club, Prince said he put pressure on himself not only to perform but also to stay free of injuries. While he has so far played in every premiership match for the club, Prince had not been happy with his form until last Sunday, when he spearheaded the Tigers to a 30-22 win over Manly.

The club's previous match, a 39-10 thrashing by St George Illawarra, was "the worst game I'd ever played in the NRL", he said of the performance that prompted Sheens to pull him aside for a heart-to-heart.

"Last week, I just put my body on the line and had one of my better games but it's taken a while for me to get over the injuries, mentally," Prince said.

"You don't like to say it's in the back of your mind but somewhere it is. I didn't want to come here and be a waste of money, to put it bluntly. I wanted to come here and do a job for the club week in and week out without getting injured and I was playing like that, just as if I was trying to get through each week.

"My family and friends could see it and Tim and the coaching staff could see it. It's a fine line. I had a talk with Tim about it and he said pro football is living on the edge, injuries happen every day.

"There's 16 other blokes out there putting their bodies on the line, so you've got to do the same for them. There's no point me going half-hearted. If an injury happens, it happens. You either go hard or you go home."

yeah b_tiger,he really sounds like a player who as you say "is in brilliant form this season" :roll:

i don't know about anybody else,but i am now seeing why bennett was so reluctant to give him more playing time last year.

he has the ability,and i hope he produces on a lot more consistent basis,because our backline really needs someone to take total control out there.

every week you seem to be asking for someones head b_tiger,and you go on and on about not accepting mediocrity,yet you have all the excuses for prince and to top it off you think he is in brilliant form.

give me a f***ing break. :roll:

That's the article I read. i imagined another line there stating sheens had said he'd been happy with his form, but I was wrong. Anyway, The article didn't say he had been in poor form all season. Instead, it said he hadn't been putting his body on the line enough. I don't disagree with that. he hasn't really busted the line often. But, that isn't always what players have to do. There is no doubt Prince had a shocking game against the dragons, but to use that one match as evidence to suggest he has a had a poor season is unfair. Prince has quality hands, he rarely knocks on and rarely goes to ground with the ball in a poor position. He is great at getting the ball wide to players outside him with time for them to be creative. That, in my mind, is the work of a quality half. When given time, his kicking game is good. I think Prince is producing at a consistant level. I generally have a level of expectation for prince that he usually reaches. That's something most wests tigers struggle with, daniel fitzhenry most of all. A player like lincoln withers is so up and down every week that the team can't really work to any standard. Being consistant means you are paying attention, concentrating on the things that have to be done and that sort of play exceeds even craig field. Therefore, I'm not suprized by Prince being dissapointed in his form because most top quality consistant players are always looking to do more with their game.

I'm certain that once the team gels more (if that is to happen) and the players outwide start to be more of a threat to opposing defenses, then Prince will have you all praising him to no end. You bag his kicking game, but our kicking game has been a major factor in our victories this year. I haven't noticed sloppiness with their 5th tackle options (but that could be due to my own lack of concentration rather then the problem not existing), generally when we get to 5th tackle we seem to be competitive with the opposition.

If a great play isn't turned into a try, it doesn't make the play any less great. Prince has one of the worst backlines in the competition to work with and,in my opinion, he's done a good job of making them competitive. His good play hasn't resulted in points because I don't think the players outside him are good enough.

As for calling for players heads all the time, the only players I have critisized this year have been fitzy and patto. So, you're talking bullshit. I believe both players performances this year have proven me right...so far.

bonstonker

Juniors
and what do you call the second half last week when everyone was taking a kick.
it was a side where the halfback lost total control of his side and it was total f**king anarchy out there.

and where the f**k have i bagged his kicking game.
now what i will say about his kicking is that it has been up and down.
i would give him a pass overall this season especially when you consider how poor our chase has been.that has been alot more dissapointing than his kicking by a long way.

the 2 points i am making is that he has not been brilliant and that he has gone missing too often and needs to take more control .

and i don't give a f**k about linc or manu or anyone else.what the f**k does linc have to do with the form of prince.

the article didn't need to say he was in poor form,and you know what it was no where close to saying,"that he was in brilliant form".

and as i said you SEEM to be asking for players heads every week,if that is wrong then i apologize and say you are just a broken record. :p

B_Tiger

Juniors
Well, brilliant could be seen as too much of a compliment by some. But having never really watched a decent half, Prince has been extremely impressive, in my mind. He so naturally controls the ball and his decision making is rarely hindered by indecision. He has good range with his kicks and they often end up turning a poor set of six into a very respectable one. You people too quickly forget how bad our kicking has been for a long time and prince has brought dramatic change to that area of our game. But, as you weren't critisizing his kicking game, I'll drop the topic.

The point of comparing him to lincoln is to show why I'm so impressed by Prince. Linc had talent but was up and down, prince has talent and is consistant. That's why I consider his form to be brilliant this year. Having experienced poor halves and seeing how badly they mess up our side, it's great to see a player like Prince go out and produce consistant play at the most difficult position on the field. So maybe I'm just easily pleased by someone who can play consistantly at half, or maybe someone who plays consistantly at half is in very good form.

You've raised the roosters match as an example of our poor 5th tackle options about three times now...give more and I'll agree. The breakdown in the teams performance led to us managing zero points. While prince isn't above blame for that, his forwards gave him no time and in such situations kickers often go missing. You're right that it isn't good enough, but I don't think that has been a common problem all season (as your overuse of the example suggests).

bonstonker

Juniors
you really are starting to hurt my head mate

the post you replied to was the first time i mentioned the roosters game.
so where the f**k do you get 3 from.

i have been going on about our 5th tackle options for our entire season.
15min here and there is what he is producing.

read the posts again,and watch the games again
and then get back to me. :roll:

B_Tiger

Juniors
yeah you're right, I'm imagining things again, you did only post it once. As for the rest of your crap...I'm sorry to make your head hurt, i have that affect on people. As for producing only 15 minutes a match, that's just rubbish. You wanna bag a player for involving himself for 15 minutes in a match then have a go at fittler as well. Sometimes in rugby league it isn't always a good idea to try to hold the ball. Instead, a good tactic can be to pass it out wide and not be a glory hog. I like that he gives players outside him opportunities. When he does run at the line, he carves up. You say he only injects himself for 15 minute spurts but consider the fact that running too often at the line leads to a breakdown in the backline. Often withers would rarely pass early outwide, leaving players outside him starved of the football. Prince gets the ball outwide early and after the defense is worn down and slow to move up, he attacks the line. Brilliant play in my opinion as he keeps a defense guessing, rather then being predictable.

tracietiga

Juniors
Why do you compare a hooker to our halfback ?
Withers was never an option at first reciever at the tigers .
Prince has to get himself more involved and that means taking the line on and playing for longer than the 15 minute spurts he does .
Where was he in the last 20 last saturday night ?

How can you compare a player like Freddy to Prince .lol.
Freddy can do one play and inspire his side to victory . He can even cop a late shot and win his side a grand final

Eddie.

Bench
Prince in my mind has proved to be worth every cent.

The tigers have only dominated once in the forwards this season. Against manly in the last 30 where the quick running out of dummy half had the defense back pedelling. Prince caused havoc out there laying on all 4 second half tries.

generally i think his kicking game is sound. He has turned around opposition backs many times this season, his bombs are generally smack on the money. i think he needs work on his short game and getting more repeat sets.

He is starting to take the line on more and when he does he looks very dangerous.

Most importantly he has a terrific passing game and gives the Tigers some structure and direction which was clearly lacking under previous halves. The players outside him look confident in what he will do, unlike withers, jefferies, fitzy and even field.

Prince is a class act, i can only imagine what he would do behind a Broncos pack.

B_Tiger

Juniors
tracietiga said:
Why do you compare a hooker to our halfback ?
Withers was never an option at first reciever at the tigers .

you don't watch much of the tigers do you? Withers was our halfback for most of last year and parts of the year before. I don't think he played hooker more then 3 or 4 times for us.

bonstonker

Juniors
B_Tiger said:
yeah you're right, I'm imagining things again, you did only post it once. As for the rest of your crap...I'm sorry to make your head hurt, i have that affect on people. As for producing only 15 minutes a match, that's just rubbish. You wanna bag a player for involving himself for 15 minutes in a match then have a go at fittler as well. Sometimes in rugby league it isn't always a good idea to try to hold the ball. Instead, a good tactic can be to pass it out wide and not be a glory hog. I like that he gives players outside him opportunities. When he does run at the line, he carves up. You say he only injects himself for 15 minute spurts but consider the fact that running too often at the line leads to a breakdown in the backline. Often withers would rarely pass early outwide, leaving players outside him starved of the football. Prince gets the ball outwide early and after the defense is worn down and slow to move up, he attacks the line. Brilliant play in my opinion as he keeps a defense guessing, rather then being predictable.

it is not the only thing you are imagining.

and as for fittler,he is the ultimate backline leader,even when he doesn't have the ball.it is called directing your players around the park,something prince knows little about it seems.how many times do we look disorganized in the opposition 20,how many times has the wrong person been given the ball on the last. :roll:
he should be demanding the ball,and the fact is he isn't.he is not showing enough backline leadership to be anywhere close to brilliant.
and his passing game has been nowhere near brilliant.he has passed behind his player way to often,and the reason why our outside backs won't commit to running flat out because they have to keep propping to take it,and it has not all been the fault of the 5/8.
and brilliant halfbacks do not get moved to 5/8 like prince was during the dragons game and for the manly game.

to me he looks like a player who needs to get results early in a game as he seems to lose all confidence in the middle stages.

and to think a halfback in such brilliant form may still not make the origin side and miss out to a player that failed at half last year and hasn't played in the halves all year.

i think i am not the only one who doesn't think he has been brilliant this year. :roll:

B_Tiger

Juniors
It doesn't matter how many people think what you think. It's only what YOU see that counts. If you see a half struggling with organising the backline then you see things completely different to me. There is just no way of arguing over it because in the end it is just an opinion we both possess. I think prince was moved to 5/8 not because of poor form but because sheens was trying to keep Reynolds in first grade, and he just wasn't doing well enough at 5/8. Thus, prince was moved because he is capable at both positions. As a wests tigers fan I've never been a fan of origin selectors. if you want to follow their opinion then I'm not going to hold you back, but it means f**k all to me.

I guess all we can do is watch him this year and come rd.26 we'll know who's right (or more precisely, you'll see that I'm right).

Vicious

Bench
I didn`t originally think it was a good idea signing Prince,but I must admit he`s surprised me!He hasn`t had much go forward and he`s had the two worst second rowers in the comp running off him(Mark O`Neill and Nick Graham).Not only that John Wilson and Shane Elford have been consistently dropping good ball!
Yet he`s still managed to look dangerous on occasions.Not bad on my account!

Vicious

Bench
I didn`t originally think it was a good idea signing Prince,but I must admit he`s surprised me!He hasn`t had much go forward and he`s had the two worst second rowers in the comp running off him(Mark O`Neill and Nick Graham).Not only that John Wilson and Shane Elford have been consistently dropping good ball!
Yet he`s still managed to look dangerous on occasions.Not bad on my account!

simon says

First Grade
When Prince takes the line on he looks very good.When he kicks bombs they are pinpoint.

He also tackles well.

But his organisation for the full 80 and his last tackle options have been shithouse.

Without a doubt the best half we have had,and when the forwards get a roll on,hopefully he will get his act together.So far Id give him about a 7 out of ten.Im lookin for about a 8.5 from him.then Ill be happy.

bonstonker

Juniors
B_Tiger said:
It doesn't matter how many people think what you think. It's only what YOU see that counts. If you see a half struggling with organising the backline then you see things completely different to me. There is just no way of arguing over it because in the end it is just an opinion we both possess. I think prince was moved to 5/8 not because of poor form but because sheens was trying to keep Reynolds in first grade, and he just wasn't doing well enough at 5/8. Thus, prince was moved because he is capable at both positions. As a wests tigers fan I've never been a fan of origin selectors. if you want to follow their opinion then I'm not going to hold you back, but it means f**k all to me.

I guess all we can do is watch him this year and come rd.26 we'll know who's right (or more precisely, you'll see that I'm right).

you are clutching at straws,prince was moved to 5/8 at the end of the dragons game,a game that prince admitted was his worst ever nrl performance.reynolds had nothing to do with it.

and as for either one of us being right at the end of the season is again a load of crap.
i have not said that prince is crap or will fail or whatever you think i am saying.

i am talking about his form after 2 months of football.a response to your post saying prince was in brilliant form.
the rest of the season has nothing to do with what we are discussing.

i certainly hope he is brilliant for the rest of the season,because he has been far from it so far.in patches yes,but that is all.

Latest posts