What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallen a Blue

lockyno1

Post Whore
SHARK-SPURS said:
Why would the QLD selectors choose a PL player in Hannay and not Paul Bowmen who has allready played origin.
Bowmen hasn't retired from rep footy has he??

BTW a good display by Gallen could lead to more sharks in SOO in the future. Lead the way for the club Gallen.

Bowman is retired. And look for Tonga to be a late inclusion on monday next week. He returns this week from injury.

ghoti

Bench
Great news about Gallen...I agree with the rest with what to do to cover...Williams to start, Bird to lock and promote Villasanti to play Williams role of prop interchange/pseudo backrower. Alternatively you could promote a backrower and start Hilder at lock, keeping Williams in his current role.

Special K

Coach
What has Hilder done to earn a promotion to the starting 13?

Williams to the backrow, Bird to 13 and Villa to the bench. Surely he has some match fitness by now!

Frenzy.

Immortal
ShArKsMaN said:
this is great for him and us as it shows him he can make rep sides while wearing a sharks jersey and makes it easier for us to resign him when the time comes.

Don't think so. His market value now goes up as does his appeal to other clubs. Will actually make it harder to resign him. As is he is getting upgraded for playing in the City team. Now he'll need another for playing SOO.

Shark

Bench
Is Willams a sure fire starter for us? I mean, his impact value has been pretty strong. Hilder might go straight to starting lock, saves having to fart arse around too much with the pack. As for moving Bird to lock...He's been playing career-best footy running from the 2nd row, why move him?

Jo Ryan

Juniors
What has Hilder done to earn a promotion to the starting 13?

Hilder has played very well, and served us well from the bench. You seem to have a problem with Hilder SK. I think your opinion is right about Williams ect but why the snide remark about Hilder! Afterall it is a team.:( Congratulations to Gallen well deserved.

White Poiner

Coach
Gaz is gonna play 5/8 for dragons next year..Therefore NSW 5/8..

Hope he falls out of a car.. and noddy get's in.

!fullback!

Juniors
i dont know about anyone else but i hate having too many sharks players in origin. teams that have won the last couple of grandfinals have hardly any of their players in origin.

2005 tigers - 0 players involved in origin
2004 bulldogs - 4 players involved in origin(had great forward depth that year)
2003 panthers - 1 player involved in origin
2002 roosters - 2 players involved in origin

origin can derail a teams season like kimmorley did last year. but congrats to gallen though

Havoc

Juniors
It's great to see Gallen picked in the squad. Only problem I have with it, is that it should have been done 7 weeks ago!!!

Frenzy.

Immortal
!fullback! said:
i dont know about anyone else but i hate having too many sharks players in origin. teams that have won the last couple of grandfinals have hardly any of their players in origin.

2005 tigers - 0 players involved in origin
2004 bulldogs - 4 players involved in origin(had great forward depth that year)
2003 panthers - 1 player involved in origin
2002 roosters - 2 players involved in origin

origin can derail a teams season like kimmorley did last year. but congrats to gallen though

Very interesting !fullback!

Origin has definitely been derailing the Broncs for years. Not doing much for the Cows this year either and of course the perennial favourites the Dragqueens get a squillion players every year then choke at the pointy end.

Yet another positive as we can live with Gallen getting a half a game due to our backrow depth

sharkadelic

Juniors
Better GAllen than Noddy I say. Pity about Thommo not getting a run.

Could be the beginning of a new rep era in our club. Or another Bailey/Nutley one year only deal.

Pity Gallen's debut has Gasnier at 5/8 and an underdone Gower as half. That is just farked. Qld (if they can find 17 fit players) by a few

carinashark

First Grade
Great news for the great man! We will miss him , yes . But it will be great seeing him going around for the Blues, hey this time I will be watching.

carinashark

First Grade
Oh no ! Just read that Gaz is 5/8. No second option kicker , Gowie will be smashed on the 5th or have to kick early. Whats going on? Gaz is no 5/8!

Booyah

Bench
I think we might see alot of kicking from Dummy half in this game with either Bedsy or Hodgson shaping as the second choice kicker after Gower. My money is on the el capitan.

cronullashark

Juniors
'Tough' Shark almost in tears

Margie McDonald
June 27, 2006

CRONULLA lock Paul Gallen took the most important phone call of his career lying down.
"I was on the couch outside Stuie's (coach Stuart Raper) office waiting for our video session when I got the (Origin) call. I feel unreal," the 24-year-old said yesterday.

Despite making his representative debut for City Origin in May and hearing the praise Raper gave him for his recent form for the Sharks, Gallen still did not believe he could break into the NSW side given that the current three backrowers - Luke O'Donnell, Nathan Hindmarsh and Steve Simpson - make up Australia's backrow.

"I was always hoping I might make it but I didn't think I would because all the backrow forwards are such great players," Gallen said.

But Raper never had any doubts.

"I always thought he'd be a special player and it's probably been a semi-goal for me to hopefully help him get to rep footy.

"I'm really happy for him because he has worked so hard," Raper said.

"He was just about in tears when he found out. He was that stoked."

The Blues selectors would have been over the moon with Gallen's statistics from the last two games. Against Manly he made 26 runs for 238 metres, completed 29 tackles and five off-loads.

And against Newcastle on Saturday night he made 23 runs for 194 metres, made 21 tackles and two off-loads.

"I just think he's a tough, tough player and one that will relish the intensity of Origin footy," Raper said.

Gallen credits the form of the Sharks' pack, singling out Lance Thompson and Greg Bird in particular, as well as the leadership of club skipper Brett Kimmorley for helping him to wear the Blues jumper finally.

"They're part of the reason I'm here," Gallen said, adding that he felt for Kimmorley, who lost out to Penrith's Graig Gower for the halfback position.

"Brett's been playing so well since he came back from his injury," Gallen said.

"He's unlucky but I know he'll rise above it and still lead the Sharks so well."

His NSW captain, Danny Buderus, pinpointed the Sharks' purple patch, winning eight of their last nine games including a 26-16 win over his club side Newcastle, for helping Gallen to rise above the pack. He has replaced Andrew Ryan (Bulldogs) in the squad.

"The Sharks have snuck under the radar but not any more, and he's been part of that fantastic season for them," Buderus said.

Gallen said he had watched Origin football since he was a kid.

"I'd sprint home from footy training so I could watch it and now I'll be a part of it even though it'll be the toughest game I've had to play," Gallen said.

Gallen has been named on the interchange bench and does not know where he will play or how many minutes coach Graham Murray will give him.

Raper has used Gallen at centre and five-eighth when injuries have struck at Cronulla but rates him a tailor-made backrower because of his combined mobility and strength.

"I'll just do my best and I can't wait to get on," Gallen said.

But his first priority was securing tickets for his parents, brothers and sisters and "10 mates who want to come to Melbourne".

"I've heard it's sold out but I'll have to scrape some tickets together from somewhere."

Source:http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19598316-2722,00.html

The Blues selectors would have been over the moon with Gallen's statistics from the last two games. Against Manly he made 26 runs for 238 metres, completed 29 tackles and five off-loads.

And against Newcastle on Saturday night he made 23 runs for 194 metres, made 21 tackles and two off-loads.

But will he get enough game time to match these stats ?

coolumsharkie

Referee

What a load of crap!

Thats normal for Gallen.