What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallen Grade 2 charge

Gallen faces four week ban

March 31, 2008
CRONULLA skipper Paul Gallen is facing a suspension of up to four weeks after being charged with contrary conduct for his facial massage on Gold Coast forward Anthony Laffranchi.
The NSW Origin forward was today hit with a grade two charge by the NRL match review committee for making unneccesary contact with Laffranchi's face in the 67th minute of Saturday's game on the Gold Coast.

Gallen re-opened a nasty wound on the heavily bandaged head of Laffranchi during the incident, forcing the forward from the field and afterwards prompting Titans captain Luke Bailey to call it a "grubby" act.

The charge usually carries just a two match ban, but because of previous offences, Gallen will be facing a three-match ban with an early guilty plea, and four if he defends the charge at the judiciary and loses.

St George Illawarra forward Jarrod Saffy, meanwhile, has had a contrary conduct case referred straight to the judiciary after Canberra halfback Todd Carney alleged the Dragon bit him late in the first half of their match on Saturday.

Three other players have been charged, but Roosters five-eighth Braith Anasta sidestepped any judiciary drama ahead of Friday's grudge match against the Bulldogs with no charge laid over his high shot on Melbourne winger Steve Turner.

Brisbane's Reece Robinson and North Queensland's Travis Burns were both charged with dangerous throws.

Robinson can escape suspension with an early plea, while Burns is facing a one-match ban with an early plea - and two if fights the charge and is found guilty - because of previous offences.

Melbourne veteran Matt Geyer has been charged with contrary conduct for making unneccesary face contact, but will avoid a ban with an early plea.
AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23459443-23214,00.html

Snoop Shark

First Grade
How ridiculous is this! So wat if he gave laffranchi a head massage? Last time i checked gallen was playing rugby league!

Knowing the sort of bloke Gallen is he would expect the same thing done to him if he had his head strapped.

Isn't funny how nothing gets mentioned about the broncos players doing pretty much the same thing as Gallen. Watch the game Vs chooks and they were going for anasta's head in every tackle!

Its all politics

spider

Coach
would this be happening if lafranchi did not have a cut on his head in the first place - no?

it goes on every game

if a player cuts their leg - will we not be able to tackle the cut leg?

Feej

First Grade
Mind you, I'm starting to love the hate I'm hearing. As someone else posted earlier, they wouldn't be bleating so much if they weren't afraid.

And to bring it back on topic, I agree, it's a joke I think I even read a quote from the Tits player who himself said that maybe he shouldn't have returned to the field.

Feelin Hornby said:
just as bad rub him out Gallen much bigger loss then Saffy come Sat Night :p

And so you should be afraid of our forward pack.

If we had the same starters in our pack that we had against the Storm we would've belted the snot out of those fairy fluff dusters you call forwards at the Stains.

S.R.

Juniors
The entire Sharks team should run out on Sat night against the Dragqueens with their head taped up. If any Dragons bloke touches the tape, they should cry foul to the referee.

I'm interested to see how they grade such charges. How is Gallen a Grade 2 and Geyer a Grade 1? Isn't contact with the face simply contact with the face? How do you prove intent? Gallen may have been trying to adjust Lafranchi's bandage to better cover the cut! Maybe the contact with the face WAS necessary! Prove otherwise!

I'm just sick of things being blown out of proportion by the media, then run wioth by the NRL Match Review Committee. How does one get a spot on such a committee? I want in!

samshark

Juniors
I am old school myself and love a bit of niggle in the game and I agree the game is going soft with some of these ridiculus charges HOWEVER I actually think this charge on Gallen is justified. I thought it looked pretty bad on TV. You can clearly see Gallen rubbing away with his finger on the bandaged wound obviously trying to open it back up. He didnt just put his hand on his face like he says.

Fugging stupid thing to do. He will get found guilty for this. So on top of Ross and Williams we will be without Gallen for three or four weeks. If the club is docking Ross's pay I'd be doing the same for Gallen's as well.

andrew flap

Bench
millersnose said:
is it worth a penalty to get rid of one of your opposition players

it is

our injuries get targetted every week

thats contact sport

Nope, Ballroom dancing is contact sport. League is collision sport. LOL.

S.R. said:
Maybe the contact with the face WAS necessary! Prove otherwise!

Galls just has to say he'd completed his first aid course and he was applying pressure to stop the bleeding.

S.R.

Juniors
I am yet to see the footage in normal time. Every replay is in Slow-Mo. Makes it look even worse.

Quigs

Immortal
I want to know who ripped the bandage off the dark tiges winger cheek last night after he returned to the field from a facial cut.

Now that would have to be a very very serious offence in the modern game.

That bandage had a sticky side and that could really cause some serious skin rashes if pulled suddenly off an unsuspecting players face when not prepared for contact in a contact sport like rugby league.

That offence would have to be a serious grade 19 offence carrying 6,389 points - no f**k it, straight to the judiciary.

Luckily for us we (the sharks) were not playing the tiges. Crikey imagine all that happening.

And maybe they should cite wanker Hodges from the donkeys for ripping off an opponents headgear when in the process of tackling. Gee that player might of received serious head injuries when his head was not protected by the headgear.

The game is quickly turning into a joke.

Keep the mongrel going sharkies. I love it.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Quigs

Immortal
Retract last statement.

The modern day game is a joke.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

Foz

Bench
Gallens is a clear case of stupidity.
There was no need to do what he did and it cost us the game.
Thought that was punishment enough because what he did wouldnt of hurt a fly.
It wasnt even a proper facial.Some people reckon that was an eye gouge.Fair dinkum do they know what an eye gouge is?
You've got to think they'll contest the grading at least.Problem is Gallen has a reputation and he's the sort of bloke theyd love to make an example of.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
yeah they would have trouble mounting a challenge.
it would take 4 weeks just to collect video footage of similar incedents. & that is just from 1 weekend of football.

f*cking disgraceful that he has been cited.

What next, sin bin for throwing away a players boot?
perhaps sent off for looking angry?

f*cken joke.

Latest posts