What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallen signs for life!

DJDL

First Grade
Yeah fair enough Fizman some good points there.

It was just the 4 year contract for a 29 year old that pricked the ears up.

The article is poorly worded, it's a 3 year contract.
It says he is contracted till the end of 2013

So they've extended for 2011, 2012 and 2013

No one on here questions his ability to go around again this year, and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think he'd play 3 beyond that. That makes him 32-33. Still another couple of years in him after that IMHO

Gal deserves this kind of deal after everything he has given this club.

In the modern era only he and Peach really stand out as players you want (or wanted) to see finish their careers with the Sharks. We all cried bloody murder when Peach was punted, how would we be if Gal was shown the door?

Aside from that, who knows how the contract is structured?

We all know we have room under the cap this year, maybe the Hisense deal has meant we can spend some cash this year topping up his contract, and weight the rest of it to the early part of the new term, with lesser payments in the final year or two.

I can't see how it's hard to argue against that.

Stuff

Juniors
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...rl-club-for-life/story-e6frfgbo-1225839336792

Paul Gallen signs new deal with Cronulla Sharks that will keep him at NRL club for life

336731-dtstory-paul-gallen.jpg

Shark for life...Paul Gallen. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph

PAUL Gallen is part of a new trend in rugby league that has been missing from the NRL for too long.

It's called loyalty.
When the Cronulla enforcer sat down for contract talks this week with Sharks CEO Richard Fisk and his agent David Riolo, he kept thinking about the personal pride of being a one-club football player.
"I spoke to a Sharks legend about it - Andrew Ettingshausen," Gallen said. "He was like me in that he had other options but never left.
"And then you read in the paper over the last couple of weeks about Anthony Watmough and Benji Marshall committing themselves to Manly and the Tigers for life.
"It's not a bad thing for our game to play at one club. It's probably been a little bit under-rated in recent times, but it's changing now."
Remarkably, if you'd asked the Kangaroo and Origin forward eight weeks ago about his chances of being a Shark for life, he'd have angrily rejected it.

The Tigers and the Sea Eagles were both sounding him out, knowing of his disappointment at being fined $5000 by the Sharks when police caught him urinating in a city street after a boozy Christmas party.
"I could have got out at the end of this season," he said.
"Before Christmas I was a bit disappointed, but I've moved on from all that now. I like what the new board is doing.
"I didn't agree with the fine they gave me but I think their intentions were in the right place. They want the footy team to succeed and the club to succeed.
"We don't want to be known as the poor little brother any more."
Gallen also revealed how coach Ricky Stuart played an important role in him committing for another four seasons.
"I think most people know how much I respect the coach," he said, "And Ricky was also big on the loyalty side of things.
"There have been rumours about Ricky leaving, but I'm not worried about that because I know how dedicated he is to the bunch of players we have here at the moment.
"He kept saying it's a huge thing to play your career at one club. He told me how disappointed he was he couldn't do it in Canberra.
"At the end, you can walk in to your club and your picture will be on the wall. You can do that final lap of the oval with your kids. It's not worth any money, but it's special and it's something I'll always remember."
After 10 years at the club and another four coming up after signing the new contract yesterday, the inspirational forward would love nothing more than to deliver the Sharks' first premiership.
"Of course I've thought about that," he said. "That's the ultimate goal for every player at every club.
"But you can't just pick a team and say you'll win a premiership.
"I'll just concentrate on my footy each week and see what we can achieve. We've got some good young players coming through in Snowden, Douglas, Tupou, young Ferguson and Stapleton and Kelly ... and then there's Trent Barrett.
"We've got to build a team around these blokes and maybe sign another one or two players in the future and then give the premiership a real crack. That's the aim.
"The club's moving forward and I always wanted to get the contract negotiations out of the way before the start of the season. I can just worry about playing footy now.
"I'll be 31 when this deal finishes.
"I don't know if I'll go on after that. I can confidently say I'll never play for another NRL club.
"If I'm going to win a premiership, it will be in a Cronulla jersey."
There would be no prouder man, particularly if he was first on stage to accept the Provan-Summons trophy as the club's skipper - the job he lost last year when found to have racially abused Dragons forward Mickey Paea. One day he'd like to get it back.
Coach Ricky Stuart recently asked 30 players to vote for a leadership group for the season. The players couldn't vote for themselves and Gallen got 29 votes.
"I think that best tells the story of how highly he is regarded at this club," Fisk said.
"And this time he wanted all the get-out clauses removed that were in his last deal."
Gallen says: "If I'm called on to take the captaincy again I'd take it on for sure, but it's not at the forefront of my mind.
"Captaincy is a lot different to what it used to be with the image part. It's not just being a leader on the field. If they want to give it back to me at any time, I'd never shirk the responsibility that comes with it."
Stuart says Gallen's signing has given the club a tremendous boost on the eve of the season kick-off.
"Paul Gallen is the heart and soul of our club," he said. "You build your club around men like him. It gives me and the players a great lift before our first game knowing he'll be here for life and he'll be remembered as a Cronulla legend."

shadowboxer

First Grade
pretty positive article - he sounds like he is on valium.
Great way to start the season, hopefully I will be as positive on sunday morning.

carcharias

Immortal
on ya Gal.

the most hated man in the game....purely because he is hardcore.

This is the type of bloke who wins comps.

coolumsharkie

Referee
on ya Gal.

the most hated man in the game....purely because he is hardcore.

This is the type of bloke who wins comps.

Thats what sh*ts me about the spoonfed kids of today, they got no idea what it takes to be hardcore, I played with some tough kids when I was playing, and then a step beyond that was the hardcore.

I remember the old man saying, "How tough have you gotta be " (Talking about the top level.

Times have changed but Gallens like a breath of fresh air.

PHaTMaN

Juniors
The article says Gal will be 31 when the deal finishes.
Great to see.
What is the salary cap rule about players who have been at a club 10 years or more?

jc155776

Coach
20% Salaray Cap discount I believe? Maybe less, maybe more?

Would mean a 400k player only counts for 320k???

Someone will probably be able to clarify it here.

sharknows

Bench
This is great news for the Sharks. Gal was the heart & soul of the team last year and it's fantastic to have him extend his contract after we all thought that he wanted out. Hope this is a sign of the future.

Eion

First Grade
This is great news for the Sharks. Gal was the heart & soul of the team last year and it's fantastic to have him extend his contract after we all thought that he wanted out. Hope this is a sign of the future.

Not everyone. Geez I'm good just ask me...

24/12
That's my interpretation carina. Gal was just not feeling the love. I'm sensing no real 'non payment' issues. I'm tipping Gal and Fisk et al will sort out their beefs and move on. IMO if the sharks are able to publicly support their players from now on gal stays long term. (.....that's a big "if".......)

carinashark

First Grade
Great News ! But Since 73 says it all.
"Nobody can begrudge this bloke being well paid or looked after by our club.

How many times in the past few seasons have we seen him bust his friggin ring for 80 minutes only to trudge off on the losing side.

Or rush up to smash blokes for 5 tackles only to find himself standing behind the post waiting for the conversion because some other peaheart missed the only tackle they had make for the last 20 minutes on the 6th.

And still he wants to carry on doing the same thing for our mob when every top club would've offered him just as much when he came off contract.

He must have a fair bit of optimism about the future - maybe he's happy with the way some of the newbies are shaping up at training." .

I know all players try hard but they have a hard look at the leadership group and rate themselves against that bench mark.

S.R.

Juniors
20% Salaray Cap discount I believe? Maybe less, maybe more?

Would mean a 400k player only counts for 320k???

Someone will probably be able to clarify it here.

Doesn't matter at the moment. We are struggling to use the full Salary Cap anyway apparently.

jc155776

Coach
This year maybe, but in one or two years time who knows.

Every saving on the Salary Cap we can make will be an advantgae.

ratsack2

Juniors
sounds like Ricky will be here for a while as well, which is great news too,

I would also hazzard a guess that his $5,000 was also paid back as well in the new deal

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Lack of trolls is interesting.

The again, hard to fault a current NSW and Australian rep player who stays with a single a club all his career.

Long live King Gal.