What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallen signs!

samshark

Juniors
fatshark said:
Well there goes Omeley , and Lote signing. FMD must of cost us heaps, I read they matched Manlys sum. Could be around $350k/year??

Dont be so sure about that. We were under the cap before Albert and Villa left and assuming Kimorley will be gone next year that is a fair bit of money to spend.

I dont think the Manly offer would have been at $350k. Orford and Lyon take up nearly a million of the cap on their own.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
Glenn Jackson
March 8, 2007
SMH

In other NRL news, Cronulla lock Paul Gallen signed a new four-year deal with the Sharks, telling the Herald his desire to be involved in Cronulla's first premiership side was the decider.

The NSW Origin player admitted he had been "very close" to accepting a more lucrative offer from the Sea Eagles.

Gallen toured Manly over the weekend but decided earlier this week he wanted to be a part of the Sharks' quest to break their inglorious premiership duck.

"I'm very happy it's all over," Gallen said. "I was very close to leaving. The Manly offer was pretty good. But just to stay at the one club and be coached by Ricky [Stuart] is very appealing. And the opportunity to be in the first team to win a comp at Cronulla … I know Ricky's got us heading in the right direction."

Comments like that would give a jelly fish a fat.

Bundy

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21341626-5006066,00.html

CRONULLA's representative lock Paul Gallen last night revealed Nathan Hindmarsh was the inspiration behind his decision to pass up $300,000 to finish his career as a one-club player.

Gallen, 25, finally settled his future by agreeing to a $1.1 million, four-year deal to keep him at the Sharks until 2011.

The Daily Telegraph understands Manly offered Gallen up to $1.4 million to quit Toyota Park.

Gallen, off contract at the end of this season, will officially sign his new deal tomorrow. When his new contract expires, Gallen will be 30 – and a ten year player at one club.

Three weeks ago, Hindmarsh signed a new deal because he wanted to stay an Eel for life. Gallen was impressed.

"What Nathan Hindmarsh did made me realise how important it was to stay loyal with one club," Gallen said.

"He wanted to win a premiership at Parramatta and I want to do the same at Cronulla.

"Nathan could have gone somewhere else but he stayed loyal to Parramatta.

"I want to do the same.

"You'd be remembered for your whole life here in Cronulla if you were part of that first-ever premiership.

"Manly's was a great offer and very tempting but I wanted to stay at the one club. That is something special to me.

"And my old man (Garry) also wanted me to stay at the Sharks."

Gallen's manager David Riolo confirmed the Sea Eagles offer was lucrative and tempting.

"I don't think Paul ever really wanted to leave," Riolo said.

"Manly was an option and a very positive option and they put forward a very lucrative offer.

"Paul wanted to make sure he made the right decision and examined every option but just couldn't see himself playing anywhere else."

But Manly coach Des Hasler denied his club had ever made a concrete offer to Gallen.

"We were interested but didn't make an official offer," Hasler said.

"It didn't get that far down the track. He will be a 10 year player there at Cronulla. Congratulations to the Sharks and good on him for staying.

"If we did make an offer it would only have been at market value but as I said, it never got to that stage.

"We were buzzing around but it was always going to be hard to get him out of there – he's a Cronulla boy through and through."

Sharks coach Ricky Stuart was delighted Gallen had been retained.

"Paul rejected a huge offer from Manly to stay and he stayed for less, which is a great sign," Stuart said.

"He is a big part of our plans here for the future."

cheese

Bench
If that figure's correct, that's a bargain price to pay for one of the best and hardest working forwards in the comp. Pity he's got spooge fingers

fizman

Bench
I am very impressed and extremely excited to hear that Gallen wants to stay at Cronulla. This is the cornerstone that makes Premiers, blokes who WANT to stay draw others to the club as well. Fantastic news.

Thomo.

First Grade
fizman said:
This is the cornerstone that makes Premiers, blokes who WANT to stay draw others to the club as well.

Gallen is geniune in what he says there. he'll be solid this year
sticky would be pleased as well.

Danger

Juniors
Its good news, he will be a consistent rep player in the years to come now that he already has his foot in the door, im happy he's staying.

tlk

Bench
it is good news dude
im very happy wit this
gals will be a test player by seasons end

Can't argue with that Bundy.

On Gallen, great news. I didn't think we had a hope in hell of keeping him, particularly after he asked for a release to join Parramatta and then Manly being keen to get him to replace Kennedy (why any Shark worth his salt would want to go to the Dark Side is beyond me - the memories of those GF losses in the 70s still hurt).

Special K

Coach
signed him outta flegg from memory. We had a trainer in a jnr aus side and he saw Gallen and got in his ear to come over.

He has a younger brother who had a tie with manly last year i think.

Macca

Coach
Gallen, 25, finally settled his future by agreeing to a $1.1 million, four-year deal to keep him at the Sharks until 2011.

The Daily Telegraph understands Manly offered Gallen up to $1.4 million to quit Toyota Park.

If those 2 lines right there are correct then alot of you should have red faces right about now.

f**king brilliant to have this bloke for what I reckon will be his best years.

Macca

Coach
Ha Ha, I won't pull out all those qoutes about his attitude and people saying there's the door etc.

If those 2 quotes are correct then the bloke stayed for less, that makes him an even greater man in my eyes.

Inferno

Coach
I still feel the same way, and that goes for any shark, if you are just after the $$$ and don't really care about the club then I'm happy for them to leave. He wants to stay and stayed for a reasonable price, good on him. Doesn't change the fact he was more than willing to leave though not too long ago.

Latest posts