What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallen

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
Cant post a link but just saw at DT article posted of facebook about Gallen telling a 10yo to f**k off or something. This should be good.

Edit: It someone can post a link so the mods dont ryles me that would be great.

Last edited:

cleary89

Coach
Paul Gallen is hailed as an NRL hero — but his behaviour to young fans is an insult

A FATHER of a 10-year-old boy told me this story. And I have seen emails that document conversations with Cronulla chief executive Lyall Gorman.

It’s about Paul Gallen and the way the Cronulla captain spoke to fans after a recent game.

The father concerned I know well, through his association with our local football club. He is a good man, a wonderful father. He’s the dad who puts his hand up to take a group along to games regularly.

I said, ‘Paul, no you go f*** yourself. You hide out in the rooms, these people are only waiting for a minute of your time

Just recently they travelled from the Central Coast to watch the Sharks play the Cowboys.

That morning the dad got up at 3am to go to work in Sydney before driving three hours to get the boys and then get back for the game.

Little Thomas had a couple of his mates with him, my son included. They all took their footy cards to get signed. Thomas, being a Sharks fan, also took a Big League Magazine.

He’d saved the magazine all year with a picture of Gallen so he could frame it and hang it on his bedroom wall. As much as they love watching the game, the kids get the greatest kick out of meeting players. Almost always, the kids go home and can’t wait to go back.

But on this particular day, it didn’t end so well.

Gallen usually enjoys a good relationship with Sharks fans — but not this time.
One by one the players filed out and did their very best to make sure the boys got what they were after.

“Michael Ennis deserves a medal for the way he treats the kids,” the dad said, “but they were all so great.”

But as they stood around waiting for the skipper, the group were told Gallen had already gone.

“Then another player came out,” the dad said, “I can’t remember who it was, but he said Gallen is still in there. There was about 10 people waiting just outside the tunnel.

“He literally pushed his way through a small group and Thomas handed him his magazine and said; “Oh, Paul, can you please sign this for me’. And he put the marker to it and he literally drew a line across the bottom of it.

“Then he said, ‘F*** this, I haven’t got time for this s***’.”

The father said Gallen then threw the magazine back at his son.

“(Shane) Flanagan was right behind him and he came straight over and said; ‘Look boys, I’m’ really sorry. If you want to put your cards in an envelope and send them down to me I will make sure they get signed’.

“Thomas, straight away, said; ‘I don’t like Paul Gallen anymore. I don’t want to get it signed’. He was just shattered.”

After that the family had correspondence with Gorman outlining what had happened. The mother asked Gorman to verify the story with Flanagan.

Eventually, Gorman replied: “We have taken the necessary steps to address the matter you have outlined internally and please be assured that we take any such matter very seriously. My sincere apologies to you and you family for the way you feel.”

So they returned last weekend.

This time as they walked through the gates they got handed a free pack of footy cards.

“Everyone has bad days but this shouldn’t happen.”

Thomas had Gallen in his pack, and it’s fair to say he was still angry.

“He said to me, ‘I want to write ‘you’re a dickhead, from Thomas’, and give it to him’,” the dad said.

“I said, ‘mate I’m not going to stop you’ because I knew how frustrated he was. Anyway, after the game we hung around. All the other players came out signed the boys’ stuff. Then they told us again Gallen was gone.

“But after that I think it was the head runner came out and he must have slipped up because he said Gal was still in there.

“So I said to Thomas, ‘give it to me, I will give it to him and talk for you’.

“So he came out and he signed maybe three things and said ‘that’s enough, I’m going’. I pretty much stood in his line and said, ‘hang on a minute, have you got a second’.

“I said mate, it was real nice to spend a bit of time and sign some things, not like last fortnight when you threw the Big League Magazine in my son’s face. But he wants to give you this’.

“I handed him the card. I told him ‘you might want to take a second and read it. These boys here were some of your biggest fans, they loved you. And this is what they think about you now.

“Then he read the card. Well, mate, he grabbed the card and flicked it in my face and said ‘go f*** yourself’.

“The card stuck to my neck and I grabbed it and flicked it back.

“I said, ‘Paul, no you go f*** yourself. You hide out in the rooms, these people are only waiting for a minute of your time’.

“Then he just stormed off. He got about 10 metres away and gave everyone the bird.

“Like I said, pretty much all the players are great every time we go along. I make sure the kids are polite and say please and thank you.

“Everyone has bad days but this shouldn’t happen.”

Some people might say what’s the point of telling this story?

Just as it was a legitimate story earlier this year when Gallen was praised for helping an old man who fell down escalators at the movies, sometimes they need to be told.

Gallen probably does a lot of good deeds along the way. But like the dad said: “Should I stand up for my son on this?

“I reckon Gallen would do the same for his kids.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ans-is-an-insult/story-fnp0lyn3-1227501503995

BunniesMan

Immortal
The article itself says, if they're going to post the good samaritan stuff then it's only fair they post the other side of the coin too.

This really isn't anything new. Everyone knows he is a grub.

t-ba

Post Whore
Code in crisis. They should give ptv rights to News for free after this debacle.

cleary89

Coach
Yeh dad is a c**k. Why would you bother writing that on a footy card? Is Gallen going to say thanks mate.

Big sharks fan and then runs to the press.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
"The abuse our players copped was nothing short of disgusting. They were calling us c**** and c***suckers.

"They got so close they were touching our players, it was ridiculous and just another example of NRL incompetence.

"When we agreed to prepare at the SCG, we were given assurances by the NRL that there would be no public-access or interference to our path from the SCG to (Allianz).

"There should have been protection for the players but there wasn't. We tried to work hard with the NRL, we tried to be as low-maintenance as possible.

"We've made a complaint and they said they would look into it, just like they are looking into the refereeing issue.

"Everything is a review with the NRL. It was another case of the NRL not being able to control something ... it's amateur hour."

Cowboys centre Brent Tate said yesterday he was left stunned to see animated Sharks fans, some holding children, firing expletives at the squad.

"It was quite sad, some had kids," he said.

"I couldn't believe what was coming out of their mouths. I couldn't believe the way we were treated."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nor...d-abused-by-fans/story-e6frf3ou-1226719630431

Chicken and egg situation with this scummy club.

drago brelli

Bench
Oh dear, I can help Cronulla out here, I know a very good spin doctor, he has helped Newington, Trinity and Scots out a few time. His fee is reasonable $78 000.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife, myself and our 5 month old baby drove from Melbourne up to Sydney for that same game against the Cowboys and we met Gallen and the other players after the game in the sheds and he was very polite and friendly.

I'm a bit confused at how he could change so dramatically in such a short period of time.

Gotta be more to this story

Last edited:

Nugget10

Juniors
If this is a tactic that News are gunna use in their tiff with the NRL it's pretty f**king low

Perce

Juniors
Won't someone think of the real victim in all of this?

097136-phil-rothfield.jpg

My wife, myself and our 5 month old baby drove from Melbourne up to Sydney for that same game against the Cowboys and we met Gallen and the other players after the game in the sheds and he was very polite and friendly.

I'm a bit confused at how he could change so dramatically in such a short period of time.

Gotta be more to this story

jYWl7yO5wZl7Z9qyYYVeQ8bge6vAQb8Tdtt_BKwXTnLvSxtnsc1T7X7gG5fPo7G7NzQ2itaP1sVDkwj37upIPuE87tNpaMqZ1Wp9t-B41uvCEW5zZg=w449-h327-nc

Status
Not open for further replies.