What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallens Contract and Future

SharkShocked

Bench
Rubbish.

He hasn't been offered a contract that he likes.

He is playing the game.

So as i've said - he will get everything he wants.

Do you seriously think that Gorman would allow the media spin/hype of the sharks not signing their prize winning captain, origin captain, future immortal shark to occur?

He will get what he wants.

So as i've said - he will get everything he wants.

Do you seriously think that Gorman would allow the media spin/hype of the sharks not signing their prize winning captain, origin captain, future immortal shark to occur?

He will get what he wants.

No, I don't think so.

I reckon they will re-sign him but there will be a song and dance about SOO retirement.

Does the club really need him the answer is no - yes he can lift the team sometimes, but i feel when he is not there other players are more confident in calling the ball and getting more room to move.

Will there be backlash - i doubt the media will give us a spray its not if Gallen is a media favourite, if this would have been ET we would cop it left and right.

Sheens is at Salford, he is Gallen fan he can go there earn big $$$ for easy year.

Gallen has been great servant of the club but he cant have everything his way, now we have a CEO who takes a stand Gallen does not like it and is spitting the dummy

Craigshark

First Grade
Would like to keep him on our terms..

If he wants to play 3 games a year for us and concentrate on SOO for the rest of the year like he has for the past 5 years.. Let him go. He doesn't owe us anything and we no longer owe him anything. If he wanted to go to Manly 5 years ago for more money, he should have.

SharkShocked

Bench
He has never moved to prop even with whispers every year from the coach that he should go there.

That won't happen again, like it hasn't every other year.

SOO retirement won't happen either unless Loz gives him the tap... which again, he won't as he's already made noises indicating so.

I understand everyone wanting us to sign him on our terms, it's just not going to happen.

I'm not sure why it's a surprise to anyone either.

Feej

First Grade
I'll never begrudge the service he's given the club and sticking with us for so long, HOWEVER, no one should be bigger than the club and Gal seems to think he is. Let him go and get on with recruiting for next year.

As a Sharks fan I'd like Gal to stay one more year and focus on doing his best for the Sharks in the best possible state of health and gracefully retire from SOO. The one void in his resume is the elusive premiership for the Sharks. He's got a SOO victory, played for Australia and become a multimedia personality bigger than Norman Gunston.

Money is one thing, I know SOO players get $30,000 per game. But the longer and ultimately greater reward would be captaining a Sharks team to a Premiership. He'll have ample time in the future to box, be a radio star, even maybe a game show host. But the Cronulla premiership would be the defining moment, the fairytale ending of a substantial league career.

Feej

First Grade
I also think it's pretty poor form that he likes to continue to bleat in the media that he's done a lot for the club, brought players here etc. Sure, argue that in negotiations but stop going on about it all the time. It's not a good look.

Feej

First Grade
As a Sharks fan I'd like Gal to stay one more year and focus on doing his best for the Sharks in the best possible state of health and gracefully retire from SOO. The one void in his resume is the elusive premiership for the Sharks. He's got a SOO victory, played for Australia and become a multimedia personality bigger than Norman Gunston.

Money is one thing, I know SOO players get $30,000 per game. But the longer and ultimately greater reward would be captaining a Sharks team to a Premiership. He'll have ample time in the future to box, be a radio star, even maybe a game show host. But the Cronulla premiership would be the defining moment, the fairytale ending of a substantial league career.

I doubt he sees us winning the comp in the time he has left. That's why Origin and boxing.

I want to see Gal play for the Club for one more year no doubt about it.

I hope the two parties can reach an agreement.

I think he may be in for a rude shock with rep football.

There's a truck load of forwards that will be putting their hand up next year and are ready and could possibly make more of an impact at that level than Gal.

Bryce Cartwright, Ryan James etc.

You can't get flogged by that marging in SOO 3 and not make some serious changes for the start of the next series.

Special K

Coach
I think he might of been a chance to retire from origin if he didn't get fingered in that last game and we won. I can't see him walking away from origin, he clearly cares more about being NSW captain than he does being Sharks captain. I believe he really does not want to leave but I also believe he thinks we are trying to dud him here.

The lift he gives the players is huge. I'd love one last year of him playing 20 plus games for the Sharks. His last season of 20 games was in 2011 with his next best being 16 in the past 3 seasons. At 34 for next season I am happy for him to stay but I really don't like the idea of him not being around for 8-10 weeks.

If he goes he goes. He needs to work out if he believes we can give the comp a real shake next year or not.

Surely

Post Whore
I would like to think his priority would be the first guy to captain Cronulla to a premiership

f**k origin nobody cares except the banjo pluckers

SharkShocked

Bench
At this stage, it is quite difficult to argue that Gallen isn't bigger than the club.

Because pretty much everywhere you look, you get reinforced the idea that he is.

I still don't understand why this origin series or next are any more important than when he did lift the trophy and break the QLD streak.

What more important was winning 2 than 1? I don't really get it.

Whilst i believe that the NSW team needs generational and wholesale change, i can't see Loz believing that goes all the way up the chain to his 'legendary' captain.

He will get selected again next year if fit as captain.

So the question is, are the sharks prepared to endure another year where his mind is more focused on Origin, just to keep their 'star' player a one team man? Because it will happen exactly the same way as it has happened this year.

ghoti

Bench
If he wants to play Origin he needs to manage it better (and so do NSW). Not playing Game One was good. Struggling for fitness for Origin 2 was sketchy. Not playing for us so he could save himself to play injured for Origin 3 is f**king unacceptable.

Saying he can play Origin if he's 100% and played every game before the Origin match is a very, very fair disclaimer. And if he can't play for club, then he can't play for State is fairer again. He can play Origin, but his priority has to be to be fit for Cronulla, not for NSW.

The two issues

1. Origin we know he loves it, and wants to play but it kills his games for the Sharks, basically from the ANZAC test to 2nd week of July, we basically dont see him.

2. The Boxing, this i think is worse he is an ok boxer, but should he be knocked out or injured, his off season is behind eight ball, he is potentially out for 4-6 week regular season, by that time its rep footy.

The club needs to put a final offer forward, one year no rep no boxing, play prop and not 80 mins per game, if you dont want it thank you for the time, and best of luck in future endeavours.

Get it out of way either way within next week, that gives Gallen time to find a club and us time to find a replacement, we dont want this dragging on into finals

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
I've remained fairly tight-lipped on the issue thus far. I haven't said much but here's my two cents worth.

The bloke has given an incredible amount to this club, that goes without saying. He's been our captain for almost a decade. It's quite an honour to have the NSW captain and Australian vice-skipper playing for us, no doubt about it.

But with this issue, I'm well and truly on the fence. I'm happy for him to stay, but at the same time if he goes I won't be too upset because he's been such a loyal servant to our club through our darkest times. Took the fall for us in the ASADA shit, like a true leader does, plays his guts out every single time he gets on the field in black, white and blue, like a true leader does. He cleaned up his image massively, and gained all his leadership qualities from this in my opinion.

His credibility as a player knows no bounds. He plays with his entire being, is willing to fight for every single bad refereeing call, makes that last ditch tackle, makes all the hard yards, often goes as an unsung hero in any given match.

Off the field, seems a decent bloke. Doesnt get into any trouble anymore, doesnt make a dick of himself. Great man to have as the face of our club.

On the other hand, the whole Origin thing does get to me. I'd take 10 years of QLD dominance in Origin just for one Sharkies premiership. All of us would. Gal sees Origin as his primary concern and, like 99% of Sharks supporters that is a questionable attitude to have as a captain of this club. He sits out 75% of our games because of an injury picked up in a representative fixture. Pisses me off to no end too, because we know what he does on the field and what he adds to the team on game day. However, we have shown that we can win without him countless times. Wade Graham is a more than capable leader of the future and when Gal eventually does leave, Wade will be the skipper of our great club. And what a better person to learn from then Gal?

The bloke will be a Sharks immortal, without question. Up there with the likes of Steve Rogers, ET, Gavin Miller, Les Davidson as one of our greatest players. If not the greatest Shark ever. But in my opinion that doesnt warrant him to think he's greater than the club.

Whatever you do next year Gal, you are very much adored in Sharkland and we thank you for more than a decade of exceptional service.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
gall makes a very good point, origin gave gall the profile to be able to attract the likes of wade graham luke lewis fafita etc to the club, what if those blokes decided to up their bags and go where gall goes next instead?

Surely

Post Whore
He could take a contract that allows boxing soo and have it based on match payments

Latest posts