What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallens Contract and Future

sandshark

Bench
I understand that Gal wants reward for his services which is fine because he has been at the club for a long time but he needs to realise that Cronulla need more bang for the buck he is given.
If he wants an upgrade he needs to play more than 16 games a year and that means rep retirement.

I don't watch many games because I am based in France but from what I gather from fellow posters and the occasional news story about him seems to be that he is getting passed standard rep form and he is bordering on being selfish.

He will get his way because he is NSW Captain and the media will eat that crap up.

SharkShocked

Bench
Don't smoke pot.

What does this dribble mean?

"We have heard numerous times the 'control' Flanno has over Gal... "Tell him to have a break".... "Tell Flanno to get f**ked".

Flannos attempt to get him off and play him less minutes. Direct message sent out to trainer by Flanno.

Gallens response to Flanno our coach follows it.

And you wonder why he can't get him to play at Prop when he can't get him off the field.

Inferno

Coach
Webcke also retired from Origin in his last year, maybe Petero as well?

A lot of players do it in their final year.

I'm sure I'm repeating a lot of what other people are saying, but Gallen is a club legend and up there with the best players to ever put on the black white and blue. If we can come to some sort of agreement to get him to go around for another year no doubt that is what everyone wants.

But it goes both ways. Gallen has been compensated pretty well to play footy for us and has struggled to get on the field over the last few years. He wants to box and continue playing SOO and no doubt wants a decent sum of money.

The price of money we've paid him per game has probably never been higher.

I understand money may not be the issue, but as far as I'm concerned they should give him a triangle with $$, Boxing and SOO written in separate corners. Tell him to pick 2 and whatever his choice is I can live with it.

Sooooo does anyone now think what Flanno said on the podcast was an honest slip-up?
or was it a strategy set up by someone who wanted to put it out there and maybe some pressure on Gallen?

carcharias

Immortal
Flannos attempt to get him off and play him less minutes. Direct message sent out to trainer by Flanno.

And you wonder why he can't get him to play at Prop when he can't get him off the field.

Sorry , but that is bloody hard to read.

You could have said

flano tried to sub Gallen , but he refused to leave the field .

A story I've never heard I must admit.
Is this common knowledge ?

SharkShocked

Bench
Sorry , but that is bloody hard to read.

You could have said

flano tried to sub Gallen , but he refused to leave the field .

A story I've never heard I must admit.
Is this common knowledge ?

Possibly not. But I've heard it numerous times from different sources including the two of them in post match interviews.

It was only a small anecdote to prove the rest of my post.

Gallen rules the roost. Our club is struggling to have the balls to pull him into line. That's why I asked whether or not you had ever heard of another club publicly having a battle with a star player and trying to get
Him to focus on his club.

Rumours of contract clauses related to rep footy is pathetic.

It puts into a perspective the power he has at the club.

I'll bet Nathen Brown would have slapped some sense into him!

If the club backs down on Gallen, what happens when Bird/Holmes come off contract and if there playing origin they will be trying same tactics as Gall.

Club needs to take a stand and stick by it

Born BB&W

Juniors
I was shouted down last year when suggesting he should bugger off. Strangely, I have softened a little, but still he is carrying on like a spoilt child and it aint helping anyone. Either shut up sign or move on. Not a lot of class from a club legend

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
- Tend to agree -

I certainly feel he won't be held in the same regard as a bloke like ET when he is long since retired.

Has always seemed to me like it's all about Gal and he would rather be remembered as Origin Captain than Cronulla Sharks Captain.

Last edited:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
- Tend to agree -

I certainly feel he won't be held in the same regard as a bloke like ET when he is long since retired.

Has always seemed to me like it's all about Gal and he would rather be remembered as Origin Captain than Cronulla Sharks Captain.

No one can take away from him that he Captained NSW to a series win over arguably the best Origin side ever , and deservedly won the Player of the series. Just need to convince him that all Origin offers him now is DOWN . Sharks offer the greatest challenge in NRL right now. But unless he's able to commit 100 % he's wasting his time, the teams time ,and the Fans time ..... and money . Any other way and I too would prefer to remember him simply as NSW origin Captain 2014.

Eion

First Grade
Well I still hope they do a deal. Gal has been great for us and still has a fair bit to offer.

Even if he plays origin and boxes, it still comes down to money for me. Do that, take less.

Madsharkie

First Grade
Well I still hope they do a deal. Gal has been great for us and still has a fair bit to offer.

Even if he plays origin and boxes, it still comes down to money for me. Do that, take less.

Agree completely Eion. There have been reports its not about the money... If he wants to box and play SOO we pay him less. Simple. That allows him to do what he wants, and us to sign another player with his coin (and still have him there for the 10-14 games he can play).

Agree completely Eion. There have been reports its not about the money... If he wants to box and play SOO we pay him less. Simple. That allows him to do what he wants, and us to sign another player with his coin (and still have him there for the 10-14 games he can play).

If he wants to Box, Play origin, cross the nullabor plains on a skate board ,or whatever , ... it sort of indicates ,..... he doesn't take seriously..... a sharks tilt at the title .---- Get someone who does take it seriously..... 100%.

Last edited:

Eion

First Grade
There's plenty that would take it seriously and are just plain shit.

Gal is a bit of a knob but is quality and is in most peoples top 3 in every game he plays. If we got anywhere near the business end of the finals, he'd be busting a gut to get that title.

No ones suggesting we break the bank, but I reckon a deal will be done and we'll be in better shape with gal in the squad next year.

Gal is a bit of a knob but is quality and is in most peoples top 3 in every game he plays. If we got anywhere near the business end of the finals, he'd be busting a gut to get that title.

No ones suggesting we break the bank, but I reckon a deal will be done and we'll be in better shape with gal in the squad next year.[

I doubt we'd get anywhere near the business end ,with a prima donna calling the shots and , undermining ,the coach, and the primary goal of the sharks winning every time they take the field.

Yes there were a few like that in the last state of origin game playing for QLd. They managed to pull something out of their ar8e cause they really wanted it!

Card Shark

Immortal

I totally agree with this.

The $100k he makes from Origin will be lost in his contract if he chooses to play it.

That way, it's no longer about the $.

If Origin is a great passion like it seems, he can play & we don't lose out.

As for boxing, if he chooses to have a couple of bouts in the off-season, I couldn't really care less, it doesn't mean he misses any games & he does get very fit for it.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Let him box as a trade off for no more origin imo.....wonder if his attitude would be different if they'd won the series rather than getting smashed in the the decider.