What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop gornnn?

eadz

Juniors
Gallop has done a lot for the NRL since he was brought in but I'm losing respect for him and his admin when it comes to and their inability to stand up to Channel 9 in Melbourne. Surely someone has realised that 9 lost the AFL and will need to show NRL as its prime winter sport, but only one game has been shown in a decent timeslot this year (origin 3). If nothing else all the Melbourne finals should be shown live, and its up to Gallop to ensure this happens

seajay23

Juniors
Gallop has been great and given the game credence at difficult times (eg Coffs), a News Ltd. puppet? they do 'own' 50% so cooperation is essential.
Ignore those silly soccer & AwFuL twits, their desire to 'rule the world' reveals their innate insecurity. League's great strength is its resilience and grass roots support. We will never take over the world but why should we want to? To go to your home ground on a Sunday arvo, have a good barrack, enoy the company of strangers united by their love of the game -nothing better mate.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
Their top admin has left and their only name player has gone to england to play in a 2nd rate comp (which is still miles above the A League)

That just shows you dont no much about soccer so you should say much..... with a-league...lowe is the man.....as long as his with the FFA,,,they are sweet!
And you think they have no plan of bringing other players to Sydney lol.....sydney fc is australias real madrid....they survive of these big players....there proilly talking to some right now!

reptar

Juniors
Brutus said:
I've heard rumours that Matthew Elliott could be at the Roosters next year...not Penrith.:sarcasm:
Well, Bondi, as much as I hate it, has a better beach than Penrith. And that is one of the reasons he gave for returning to Sydney...

Prodigal Eel said:
That just shows you dont no much about soccer so you should say much..... with a-league...lowe is the man.....as long as his with the FFA,,,they are sweet!
And you think they have no plan of bringing other players to Sydney lol.....sydney fc is australias real madrid....they survive of these big players....there proilly talking to some right now!

Sydney FC is Australia's Real Madrid?

Are you serious?

Sydney FC is Australia's Wrexham FC.

brooksy19 said:
Their precious "A" League, won't last another 5 years. :lol:

Their top admin has left and their only name player has gone to england to play in a 2nd rate comp (which is still miles above the A League)

I'll love to see how they're going once the hype dies down and they become just 'another code'...I'd say they'll end up with union syndrome. An over-hyped code with no real culture of support with an elite structure built on nothing.

O'niell's specialty really.

We need to hold onto Gallop for sure. We can't let soccer poach him, even just for the PR sake of it. Let them appoint some nuffy.

skeepe

Immortal
Prodigal Eel said:

The transfer window has closed... unless Australia doesn't operate under those rules. Even so, most European countries (the ones they would probably hope to find a marquee signing) do, so they'll have to wait until January to sign anyone anyway.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
the transfer window is different for each country.....italy is still open as well as spain!
England just close it before everyone, why? im not sure!

Sydney FC is Australia's Real Madrid?

Are you serious?

Sydney FC is Australia's Wrexham FC.

I ment in terms of player turnover......real madrid fans are not satisified until they sign a major player!
Sydney FC is pretty much the same......they like to invest in well known players rather then players that do the job!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
This is only being dicussed because of John O'Neill's resignation from the top soccer job. The Soccer mob are looking for a new top-shelf administrator to poach, and all the other codes are wondering if it's worth making a offer to O'Neill as whatever you think of him he's done a pretty good job with RU and Soccer.

gaterooze

Bench
He's done great *short-term* for both, but as soon as he left Union it tumbled downhill fast, and the A League as yet to be proven as viable (the two most successful clubs are already in dire financial trouble).

I'd like to see what he would do for the RLWC08 as an isolated project, but I wouldn't want him to head the NRL.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Hope he goes, he's done nothing for the game other than impose a few penalties and fines. He and his gutless administration are quite content on being second to AFL.

Green Machine

First Grade
Not all froth and bubble working for Soccer Australia:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20307757-5003460,00.html

Splits undermined Lowy-O'Neill union

Ray Gatt
August 31, 2006
THE departure of Football Federation Australia chief executive John O'Neill this week was the final act in a long-running battle of wills with the organisation's chairman Frank Lowy.

While publicly they were a seemingly perfect picture of professionalism and camaraderie, the truth is the three-year partnership between Australia's second-richest man and the country's best sports administrator was marked by conflicts that stretched well beyond the suggestions of "creative differences" espoused by both parties at Tuesday's announcement that O'Neill will leave the FFA in March.
It is no secret that like giant elks in the wild, the old and the young bull constantly butted heads attempting to mark out their turf. O'Neill mixed in influential circles, but Lowy was an entirely different beast to anything he had faced. This was a battle in which there was only ever going to be one winner - Lowy.
To the victor the spoils. If body language is everything, then the picture in the media doing the rounds yesterday morning tells a thousand stories. It showed an awkward smiling O'Neill walking out after his announcement with Lowy in the background sporting a look as if to say "oh well, there's plenty of fish in the ocean".
While Lowy paid tribute on Tuesday to O'Neill's contribution as FFA chief executive, he was just as quick to show his ruthless side, declaring: "No-one is irreplaceable."
So, as Australian soccer slowly comes to grips with Tuesday's news, the question has to be asked: where did it all go wrong?
To be sure, this was not a partnership that snapped suddenly. It was a parting of the ways that was a long time in the making. "It was what you would expect when you get two control freaks together," an insider told The Australian yesterday.
"They are both strong-willed men who are used to getting their own way, and something had to give eventually."
Lowy's hands-on style did not go down well with O'Neill, whose dictatorial management style as boss of the Australian Rugby Union polarised that organisation.
The first crack in the partnership appeared as the A-League started to take shape in 2004.
The Crawford Report into Australian soccer had recommended a board independent of the then Australian Soccer Association (now FFA) be given control of the new competition.
Lowy was keen on the idea, but O'Neill reportedly railed against it, contrary to the wishes of Lowy and a number of owners of the new clubs, notably former Perth Glory owner Nick Tana. When the A-League finally kicked off in August last year, the FFA was in complete control. There is no sign of an independent board being installed.
The two again locked horns in the middle of last year over then Socceroos coach Frank Farina.
Angered by Australia's three consecutive losses at the Confederations Cup finals in Germany, Lowy decided Farina had to go.
O'Neill had publicly supported Farina.
He found it difficult to tell Farina that he had been sacked.
On June 30, the day after Farina's sacking, The Australian reported growing tension between Lowy and O'Neill, with suggestions O'Neill had tendered his resignation.
O'Neill denied this.
The two major confrontations between the two since then revolved around the likely successor to Guus Hiddink as Socceroos coach and Lowy's perceived conflict of interest regarding A-League club Sydney FC.
Lowy is determined to replace Hiddink with another overseas coach, no matter the cost.
O'Neill has constantly argued there is no need to rush a decision, and that assistant coach Graham Arnold is more than capable of handling the Socceroos for the next two years. He is concerned by the almost prohibitive cost of employing a foreign coach of some standing.
The Lowy family's 51 per cent interest in Sydney FC has not sat well with O'Neill, who has been at the FFA chairman to divest his shareholding in the club.
Lowy recently made no apologies for his family's involvement in the club, which reportedly lost $5.8million last season, pointing out that "my family came to the party and rescued it, otherwise there would have been no team here (in Sydney)".

Perth Red

Post Whore
Int RL "with an elite structure built on nothing"

you seen the number of kids playing soccer? Puts AFL&NRL to shame!

bluesbreaker

Bench
They should've paid Guus a Paper bag full of cash and a dozen hookers each and every day to stay as the coach permanently.

Angry_eel

First Grade
LOWY said:
Lowy recently made no apologies for his family's involvement in the club, which reportedly lost $5.8million last season, pointing out that "my family came to the party and rescued it, otherwise there would have been no team here (in Sydney)".
Damn i magine not having a A-league team in sydney.

Perth Red said:
Int RL "with an elite structure built on nothing"

you seen the number of kids playing soccer? Puts AFL&NRL to shame!

Of course there are a heap of kids playing, always has been.

What I mean is creating an elite competition with no history of support, no culture of support and clubs with no history or soul. This means they are entirely dependant on success on the field, and particularly that of the socceroos, to keep interest in the league. Furthermore there is no proof that the current interest will amount to anything.

Just look at how union is struggling now after thinking it was on top of the world in 2003.

Personally I think soccer's best best is to try and make the international side the brand and forget this 'a league' business and try and make the soccer side like the cricket side.

They have built this competition artificially without the sufficient interest and public/corporate support which means that it will take someone with deep pockets to prop it up. Compare this with the AFL and NRL which are 100 year old competitions and have grown into million dollar businesses organically. You can't just try and build something like that from the bottom down. If you do it is in huge danger of falling over.

Thats what i meant about being built on nothing.

t-ba

Post Whore
Green Machine said:

:shock:. Why couldn't the Reds have had a sugar daddy like Frank Lowy?

Stupid Peter HaC not getting involved in League a decade ago...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed but then they didn't close the Reds due to finacial problems, more due to politics.

Int RL, to some degree I agree totally but a comp has to start somewhere and just as RL has gone through various turmoils in its 100 years so will other sports. If the Aleague can survive its first decade then the next 90 may well see it flourish!

re RU by what criteria are you suggesting its failure? Only the TV coverage seems to be a major issue for the Super 14. The new team is a success beyond all expectations, Super 14 crowds are doing well, the International game is still a cash cow and from what I read the junior numbers are not changing. (In no way am I a RU fan but always get amused when RL fans talk up our game by talking down others)

Latest posts