What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop pleads with Saints to move Home Final - $250k carrot

meltiger

First Grade
You have to have home finals of some descript

Remember Melbourne V Brisbane, Melbourne V Nth Qld played in Sydney?

hellteam

First Grade
I think home town finals are fine. Canberra, Newcastle, Melbourne, Gold Coast (Etihad, new stadium next year), Cowboys all have stadiums big enough and good enough to host finals games.

Dragons, Sharks, Panthers, Manly, Parramatta >>>> SFS or ANZ

taxidriver

Coach
I think home town finals are fine. Canberra, Newcastle, Melbourne, Gold Coast (Etihad, new stadium next year), Cowboys all have stadiums big enough and good enough to host finals games.

Dragons, Sharks, Panthers, Manly, Parramatta >>>> SFS or ANZ

so one rule for some and one for others?

hellteam

First Grade
No it's just home town. Play in the best stadiums in each town/city.

In Sydney they are SFS/ANZ

BrisVegas

Juniors
so one rule for some and one for others?

No. The same rule for everyone - Home City Finals in Weeks 1 & 2.

Finals should be played out of Stadia so that the higher ranked teams fans have the best opportunity to get a ticket to the game. The fans should be the ones that benefit first from home city finals, not the clubs themselves.

lifesgood

Juniors
takes away any advantage of home ground advantage

Dragons have earned the right to play at kogarah!!

I bet if they were playing at win stadium in woolongong they wouldnt consider moving it

hellteam

First Grade
so under your scenario

Eels come first, Dogs come eighth

it's fair to play the game at Homebush?

SFS would seem fair in that case. Unless they are predicting more then 45,000 to go to the game. Isn't Homebush the Eels home ground as well anyway?

Brutus

Referee
No. The same rule for everyone - Home City Finals in Weeks 1 & 2.

Finals should be played out of Stadia so that the higher ranked teams fans have the best opportunity to get a ticket to the game.

Meanwhile the low crowds continue.

18k for Sunday's game is not acceptable.

The SFS was the Dragons home ground once upon a time and they've won there twice already this season.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
ST GEORGE Illawarra boss Peter Doust runs the risk of being labelled a "chicken" after refusing to take the 2009 NRL finals away from Kogarah Oval.

How can a clown

PeterDoust.jpg

be a chicken

Last edited:

meltiger

First Grade
SFS would seem fair in that case. Unless they are predicting more then 45,000 to go to the game. Isn't Homebush the Eels home ground as well anyway?

No. Souths & Canterbury

On week 3 finals. The SFS holds what 42k? & is considered OK for week 3 finals. What does Bruce & Robina hold? 30k? Is it really that out of the box to suggest Canberra + Gold Coast have decent enough sized stadiums + facilities to have a right to host such finals should they ever qualify for them?

I'd buy the argument for playing at Homebush and Lang Park as they are much larger stadiums, but is the difference btween the SFS & Bruce/Robina really that distinct?

Newcastle is a bit different obviously given that they aren't playing in a first class facility.

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
Imagine the following semi finals

Cronulla vs Cowboys @ SFS
Penrith vs Canberra @ Homebush
Manly vs Gold Coast @ SFS
Wests vs Warriors @ Homebush

etc. You can do different scenarios til the cows come home. Can anyone see these games breaking 20,000? Everyone would be jumping up and down about the embarrassment of semi finals being beamed around the country/world in front of half to quarter full stadiums.

Sure, dragons eels would probably sellout SFS. Could get 50,000 at homebush. But even gallop said if we drew penrith there would be no money on offer to switch to SFS. And they are another sydney club! Sure its good for people to go to the game, but a sellout creates anticipation, creates a buzz. Ideally we would have a 30,000 seat stadium but we dont. You can't have one rule for some and another rule for others!

Edit: yes tigers would probably draw 22-25,000 but you get my point...!

hellteam

First Grade
I'm pretty sure the Eels play a few home games at ANZ as well.

Canberra Stadium capacity is 25 000 -- SFS is 45 500
Skilled Park is 27 400 -- Suncorp is 52 500

So a 20000 - 25000 difference in capacity which is pretty significant

meltiger

First Grade
I dunno, just see it as distinctly unfair to the regional sides to send them off to the city if playing local teams.

I'm guessing North QLD would also be forced to play at Lang Park, even if playing the Broncos?

meltiger

First Grade
^ Which is not so bad this year, as they can't play the Broncs, or for that matter any other QLD side. Imagine finishing first, and having to play Brisbane who finished 8th in a prelim at Lang Park lol

Latest posts