What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop pleads with Saints to move Home Final - $250k carrot

Firey_Dragon

Coach
[FKN-SIK];6085639 said:
Understandable but disappointing.

I would have liked to attend the game
Why can't you still now?

Ticketek at 9am Tuesday morning, log on and buy a ticket. You're still a good chance of grabbing one. It's not going to sell out in 2 minutes.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
In the future this is something we are going to have to look at, i dont blame Saints for not moving the game and they deserve to hold it at Kogarah but in the future the NRL should have the power to move games to the SFS or whatever if the capacity at the home venue is too small. It is just a better look for the game.
The NRL should set these policies before a season. The clubs should be told guidelines for capacities for finals. It is ridiculous to move a side, and force them to effectively become a victim of their own success, whilst other teams would still get a home ground advantage.

The McIntyre system offers little incentive to finish in the top 4, except for a home ground advantage. You can't just decide to take away that advantage, and force a team to move.

Ridders

Coach
Real question is why should the Dragons even consider moving the game considering they just rorted Parra at the same venue.

_Johnsy

Referee
If anyone really wants to attend the game they can, get a ticket early. Not a difficult concept.

[FKN-SIK]

Juniors
Why can't you still now?

Ticketek at 9am Tuesday morning, log on and buy a ticket. You're still a good chance of grabbing one. It's not going to sell out in 2 minutes.

I might still go. Just not a fan of the hill at Kogarah after the Round 10 match. Was quite annoying with everyone sitting down. Will see how we go anyway.

SFS would have been much better but what can you do.

ozbash

Referee
Actually the NRL have the control of the finals series, as opposed to to the Home team in the regular season.

ok, so how is it played at Kograh then, was it gifted by the NRL or won in a lottery ?

Its my understanding that they won the right to a home game,,, at their home :sarcasm:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So much for Gallop actually having some balls and standing up and saying I'm the boss of the NRL,
The NRL made the rules to give the clubs home finals. St George had the decision, not the NRL. Saints are ENTITLED to play a home final. We earned it.

If the NRL want to change the rules, then they'll have to do it at the beginning of the year, not one week before the finals. And they'll have to do it for all clubs, not just the ones you don't support.

No one pushed for Manly to move their home final from Brookvale in 2008.

Hope that clears things up.
Glenn said:
this is where the game will be played for these reasons.
18,000 at Kogarah vs 44,000 at the SFS:crazy:

Yes, I can see how opposition supporters would want to take away Saints' home advantage.

Fortunately you don't have the power to make that happen.

The Parramatta CEO has said if the Eels were in the same position, he'd probably keep the game at Parramatta Stadium. Would you be screaming if the Eels opted to keep the home ground advantage?

Glenn

First Grade
No question as the situation stands they won the right to host a home final, hopefully this causes a re-think by the NRL for future years.
Why can't a situation exist when payments are made for finishing in the top 4 (eg $400k for first down to a $100k for Fourth), and play first week finals football at stadia with a capacity of at least 20,000 for example.

Glenn

First Grade
E-Mail sent, and FWIW yes I agree with him as the current rules stand.
Not only have the Dragons earnt the right, the logistics with sponsors etc would need to be taken into account.
Hopefully this is the last year of this, and the game can be taken to as many people as possible.

bartman

Immortal
No big surprise... week one finals games are always played at the appropriate team's home ground, however small or dodgy that ground might be.

I have no problem with this game being played at - and being a sell-out at - Kogarah. Week two finals games get moved to bigger stadia in the home reason, week one home finals are a reward for the local home fans.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
E-Mail sent.
Goodo. Did it include your proposal above: "and play first week finals football at stadia with a capacity of at least 20,000"...?

So in the future, and when the traffic police cap is lifted, Kogarah can allow 20,000+ in again. If Saints make the top 4, I assume you'll have no problem with a Dragons home final?

Loudstrat

Coach
Just another way the NRL tries to destabilise Sydney clubs. Of course it should be at Kogarah.

The don't take Origins away from Queensland because they play ém at small stadiums that sell out.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I recall the arguments against Kogarah Jubilee and the efforts to destabilise R2K after 1999. One argument was that no one wanted to go to Kogarah.
Good times in the here and now.

adamkungl

Immortal
No big surprise... week one finals games are always played at the appropriate team's home ground, however small or dodgy that ground might be.

I have no problem with this game being played at - and being a sell-out at - Kogarah. Week two finals games get moved to bigger stadia in the home reason, week one home finals are a reward for the local home fans.

bingo. Week 1 finals are really just a warm up for the teams with a decent shot at the title, and weed out the rubbish. Play it at home

Latest posts