What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop pushing for new stadium in Campbelltown

Loudstrat

Coach
I would think that if the NRL were going to invest a large amount of money into a brand new stadiun then they should build it in an area which is central for other NRL clubs to use. Also it would make sense to build it in an area which has a decent public transport system. Unless the NRL plans on expanding and adding another team in Campbelltown region once it's properly developed this investment seems a waste.

FFS the NRL isn't investing any money - it's a stadium being built for the soccer world cup should we win the bid ffs!

And who cares is it takes 50 minutes? It's not about Parra - it's about where it has direct lines to - making it easier for fans to attend!!!

maelgwnau

Juniors
Is Currently loving the fact that people keep saying build a stadium at Liverpool, Have you all Forgotten about the Ill fated "Oasis Project"?

Eels Dude

Coach
FFS the NRL isn't investing any money - it's a stadium being built for the soccer world cup should we win the bid ffs!

And who cares is it takes 50 minutes? It's not about Parra - it's about where it has direct lines to - making it easier for fans to attend!!!

Of course it matters. If the NRL is going to recommend building a new stadium then they should be building it somewhere which is a central location in the rugby league heartland as opposed to the outskirts of Sydney. Using your train of thought it would make sense to build a stadium in the Blue Mountains. I mean it's a direct line and all.... doesn't matter that it takes 90 minutes from Central station.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Is Currently loving the fact that people keep saying build a stadium at Liverpool, Have you all Forgotten about the Ill fated "Oasis Project"?

How would that disqualify it from being a suitabe location for a stadium built by federal funds?

ozjet1

I would think that if the NRL were going to invest a large amount of money into a brand new stadiun..................

stopped reading your post here. and ignored your other posts because you obviously cant read and comprehend.

the NRL arent investing money in a new stadium. the NRL are lobbying govt to have it built in Campbelltown.

Loudstrat

Coach
Of course it matters. If the NRL is going to recommend building a new stadium then they should be building it somewhere which is a central location in the rugby league heartland as opposed to the outskirts of Sydney. Using your train of thought it would make sense to build a stadium in the Blue Mountains. I mean it's a direct line and all.... doesn't matter that it takes 90 minutes from Central station.

So you'd be happy if they built it next to Parra Stadium? Makes sense to the brainless I guess.

Who is going to play at Blacktown you halfwit?

Campbelltown has diect lines to over half of Sydney - that's my point. You are hung up on the miniscule number of trains from Parra to Campbelltown and having apoplexy over it. Besides, Campbelltown is no more the "outskirts" than Doonside is. Unless you have a secret passion to give AFL a training facility

Goddo

Bench
All the talk of the Blacktown stadium was driven by the potential for Sydney Rovers A league to be the main tenants. FFA were waging their own little war with AFL for second place in Sydney.

They want a ground of their own, and were happy to go to Blacktown for the same reasons as the AFL - it is halfway between Penrith and Parra on a train line, trying to find a niche in the RL saturated region.

But that said, you aren't going to unify the entire Western Sydney area with one stadium. Sydney is too regional for that to ever work. The Rovers would be better off playing half their games at Parra and half at a new Campbelltown. What the NRL wants in this case is also probably best for the A League too.

Sharing tenancy at grounds with NRL sides is a big benefit as it drives down operating costs. What NRL side would play at Blacktown? Penrith and Parra for one or two games, and maybe Australia v PNG level games.

Meanwhile, I think the AFL GWS mob are fked. They have a p!ssy training ground in the wasteland sports complex in Blacktown. They are unlikely to get the Showground at Olympic Park upgraded (state gov wary of giving AFL money as no votes in it). I'm not sure if the Showground can even be extended in playing area with the wall around the ground.

So the AFL will be stuck at soul-less ANZ or the Blacktown wasteland. Suits the club. They should adopt the moniker "Mexicans" "White Elephants" or some such. Suits them to a tea.

Goddo

Bench
GWS - Green, White and Red, the colours of mexico, and a white elephant logo.:sarcasm:

Attachments

• GWS.jpg
    GWS.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 4

Paulie Jay

Juniors
If they do biuld a 40,000 seat stadium at Campbelltown, I wonder if they would consider playing tests there...? Test football doesn't usually sell out at Homebush.

Loudstrat

Coach
:lol: @ Goddo. Well thought out. Also the colours of Souffs, the perennial bucked toothed loosers!

Also a good call Paulie, although I also think Canberra deserves tests - they get nothing down there.

i agree, but honestly, can you ever see the balmain side of the j/v agreeing to this?

I think the Balmain side of the j/v would agree to playing 9-10 games at a new world class stadium with top facilities for the all important corporate dollar.

I imagine other sides would play games there as well (most likely against the tigers), especially poorer drawing sides.

As others have said Liverpool/Fairfield may be slightly better location but Campbelltown still is a lot better location than Blacktown from a NRL point of view.

chrisD

Coach
Gallop is looking forward here. Campbelltown is already huge, and it's going to explode over the next decade. It's a RL heartland and is already under-serviced. First step stadium, second step either the Tigers step up and play atleast 10 matches there, or they step out of the way for a new team. Makes perfect sense, Campbelltown will be just too big for things to continue as they currently are.

There's also the comedy factor going for it, K Rudd, NSW Labor and Campbelltown Council to team up on a massive construction project? You just know that sh*t is going to provide headlines of hilarity.

Red Bear

Referee
The tigers playing 9 games out of here to really target the half of the merger that contains more junior players and has a greater chance of population explosion, whilst also having 3 games at the best suburban ground in footy, would be perfect. Leaves them with a chance of pushing a very high crowd average whilst also being able to keep their hold on a large portion of the inner west.

Why only 9 or 10 games at the new stadium FFS? Surely they'd have to play every game there, otherwise it would be hard to justify building it if there aren't going to be two permanent tenants (Rovers and Tigers).

As for keeping Balmain happy, they've done well with the name, not many people call the team "Wests", they even kept their colours (basically). Maybe one game every couple of years at Leichardt. Surely it's time to settle in one place and build for the future? That area around Campbelltown is massive and much more important to Rugby League than the oft mentioned Central Coast.

Even the Dragons are seeing the sense in putting down roots in one place, making Wollongong their full time training base (at the request of Mr Bennett).

The stadium would almost be a certain goer for the World Cup if the Tigers were to plant themselves there full time. Govts would be more likely to fund something that is:
1. Providing a new facility to a large growing area, that hasn't got anything like it
2. Have year round NRL and A-League use
3. Assist the Australian WC bid, as technically it would not be classified as a "Sydney" world cup venue. A bit harder to pull that one off with Blacktown / Liverpool etc. (FIFA allow one city to have 2 venues).

Actually, I've got a better idea. Build it in Wollongong, let our team in to the A-League, and encourage the Dragons to make themselves at home ;-)
And Milf Keneally can follow up with a MagLev between the Gong and Central... and fix all the hospitals while she's at it!
We'd provide a much more picturesque setting to beam around the globe for a WC too!

innsaneink

Referee
WTFs wrong with you, seriously,....are you geniused, stupid...you dont make any sense...idiot.

meltiger

First Grade
Now whilst I don't want the Tigers playing full time down in singlemotherville, I do accept it is probably a reality whether I like it or not.

Question, for those pushing for this ... if this stadium were to be built, who would be responsible ($$$) for the upkeep post world cup?

Blacktown rather than Campbelltown actually makes sense from a location perspective, although I personally (Channeling Brutus' thread here) would have like to have seen Parramatta upgraded.

Can anyone see in the long term future ground rationalisation ala: The AFL model, or do we expect to stay in the suburbs permenantly? (Not a judgement from myself either way there)

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Blacktown is a waste of fking time, the new Aye League team should just play at Parra and lobby to get that revamped.

meltiger

First Grade
^ I agree, I'm guessing without having seen the plans, that the stadium isn't inclusive of the new AFL side, so it's being built rectangular?

What a stupid waste of taxpayer money when we have a perfectly good stadium @ Parramatta that could be upgraded.