What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop's Leadership: The Verdict

Bezant

Juniors
There has been much debate about David Gallop's leadership this week in response to this crisis. Let me say striaght up front, the actions of the management of the Melbourne Storm have put David Gallop in an unenviable and extremely difficult position. I do not believe the guy gets paid enough given the crap he has had to endure due to the game over many years which has been due to the actions of others (Bulldogs, Storm, Player behaviour etc).

Having said that I do want to make a point about Gallop's leadership style. Leadership is something that has plenty of theory surrounding it but its is best best exemplified by actions. Someone who knew a little about leadership once said: a leader is a dealer in hope (Nepoleon Bonaparte).

That's my biggest gripe about how Gallop has dealt with the Storm. His verdict leaves little hope for the future. In fact it almost denies it. Without a doubt he had to take drastic and forceful measures in relation to past cheating. This he did and he did it effectively. He then needed to focus the blame on those who were clearly guilty and then devise a way to give hope to those innocents who now seem to be guilty by association. This is easier said than done but critically essential. Unfortunately Gallop's response has been to make anyone associated with both the club and the game in general (fans of other clubs who must now play the Storm) suffer for a prolonged period. Gallop said on the footy show that his action were taken so as to be as fair as possible to the other teams. He is thinking like a judge/lawyer rather than a leader.

I'll use an example from history as a case in point that makes this crisis look like childs play by comparision. At the end of WWI the allies insisted that Germany pay reparations (compensation/damages) because they were the aggresors in the war and therefore it was fair that they pay for the damage they had caused the world. This seemed reasonable at the time and if you think about justice and fairness then I'd say that was pretty fair. Except what this did is that it made every German guilty for the war (even if they were a soldier just obeying orders or not) and it also penalised future generations and thereby took away any hope they had as a nation for rebuilding a better future once they had gotten rid of their poor leaders who had led them astray. We all know the outcome of that approach and the immense tragedy that followed. After WWII the (western) allies tried a completey different approach. They vigourously pursued the corrupt leadership and then actively led the rest of the German people on a route to a new, better future for those Germans that remained. The difference in outcomes between these two methods was monumental. The difference put simply was that one method offered hope while the other prolonged suffering for those guilty by association. The difference IMHO was that one insisted on 'fairness' while the other displayed real leadership.

That's what worries me about Gallops leadership. As a lawyer he is so worried about fairness for the other clubs (and also displaying that the NRL is free of any undue association with News Ltd) that he is not able to display true leadership (which the association with News Ltd may also be hamstringing).

What we needed this week was someone who showed without doubt that cheats will not prosper. We had that. But then what we needed was someone who could then deal us (all RL fans and the innocents who are guilty by association) some hope so as to allow the healing to begin ASAP. What we have to look forward to now is prelonged suffering.

David Gallop cannot be blamed for the fraudulent actions by the Storm's management just as much as storm players and fans who did not know about this cannot be blamed. However David Gallop can be questioned about his actions as the games leader in response to this crisis. IMHO his focus on fairness rather than on leadership is not in the best interests of the game overall in both the short and long term.

Your thoughts?

bileduct

Coach
What we needed this week was someone who showed without doubt that cheats will not prosper.
And that's exactly what we got.

As far as I am concerned the entire team should be stood down until the investigation is completed. Players and player managers that are found to have been involved should be banned for at least 12 months. All existing player contracts should be null and void at the end of the 2010 season and the club should be forced to re-negotiate on the open market with all players to assemble a team under the salary cap for 2011 onwards.

Oh, zero points too.

Bezant

Juniors
So Bileduct, going on your line of thought, I'm sure you would be happy if the Tax Office suddenly declared that you and all of your fellow employees are to be stood down indefinately from work until they have completed an investigation into possible tax avation by the managers at your workplace if that ever occured. Also you and all your mates would also have no right to be know as anything other than tax cheats until the investigation is over.

If you are truely happy with that scenario then I'd accept your comments.

bileduct

Coach
So Bileduct, going on your line of thought, I'm sure you would be happy if the Tax Office suddenly declared that you and all of your fellow employees are to be stood down indefinately from work until they have completed an investigation into possible tax avation by the managers at your workplace if that ever occured. Also you and all your mates would also have no right to be know as anything other than tax cheats until the investigation is over.

Strawman, and an extraordinarily geniused one at that.

i like this thread title 'the verdict' what exactly is he charged with your honour? in thread after thread i see fingers being pointed at david gallop about what happens to the storm now none are being pointed at brian waldron and the other architects of this disaster all blame rests with them and frankly if they showed a little more 'fairness' to the salary cap we wouldnt even be having this conversation

Frailty

First Grade
I'm sure the people in the middle of the East-West Germany definitely agree with your view of the post-WWII period leading to hope and freedom...

Regardless, there is hope. The management is getting cleared out, and the team will be under the cap in the 2011 season. They still have a team and were not kicked out for serious and deliberate rorts. THAT IS HOPE!

Furthermore, if the management of a company is investigated and heavily fined, guess what - the company offloads employees to ensure they remain profitable. Melbourne are just like any company - criminal management leads to issues for the employees. The management face criminal charges, the employees need to find different work.

News Ltd has committed to the club, so they won't go broke anytime soon.

Going back to your history lesson, you say the leaders of the west worked to rid the corruption of the German leadership. If the NRL did not take this action, it would have lead to corruption of the NRL, with obvious favouritism. This would have lead to the possibility of another break away competition, because we know clubs went to Super League because of the perceived favourtism/corruption of the ARL.

Looking back at the 2002 scandal with the Bulldogs, there were players asking why they were being punished when they didn't know - where was all this support then? Maybe because they weren't important to the 'TV Rights' despite having one of the largest fan bases in the NRL.

BackhanderBilly

Juniors
I'm sure the people in the middle of the East-West Germany definitely agree with your view of the post-WWII period leading to hope and freedom...

Regardless, there is hope. The management is getting cleared out, and the team will be under the cap in the 2011 season. They still have a team and were not kicked out for serious and deliberate rorts. THAT IS HOPE!

Furthermore, if the management of a company is investigated and heavily fined, guess what - the company offloads employees to ensure they remain profitable. Melbourne are just like any company - criminal management leads to issues for the employees. The management face criminal charges, the employees need to find different work.

News Ltd has committed to the club, so they won't go broke anytime soon.

Going back to your history lesson, you say the leaders of the west worked to rid the corruption of the German leadership. If the NRL did not take this action, it would have lead to corruption of the NRL, with obvious favouritism. This would have lead to the possibility of another break away competition, because we know clubs went to Super League because of the perceived favourtism/corruption of the ARL.

Looking back at the 2002 scandal with the Bulldogs, there were players asking why they were being punished when they didn't know - where was all this support then? Maybe because they weren't important to the 'TV Rights' despite having one of the largest fan bases in the NRL.
New Ltd cannot possibly be stupid enough to keep tipping money down the Storm drain. If they have any sense they will wait until Belamy and the players are implicated in the coming investigations and shift the franchise to Queensland where it belongs.

New Ltd cannot possibly be stupid enough to keep tipping money down the Storm drain. If they have any sense they will wait until Belamy and the players are implicated in the coming investigations and shift the franchise to Queensland where it belongs.
plenty of teams in queensland already how about central coast? bluetongue stadium is sitting there gathering dust

hellteam

First Grade
And that's exactly what we got.

As far as I am concerned the entire team should be stood down until the investigation is completed. Players and player managers that are found to have been involved should be banned for at least 12 months. All existing player contracts should be null and void at the end of the 2010 season and the club should be forced to re-negotiate on the open market with all players to assemble a team under the salary cap for 2011 onwards.

Oh, zero points too.

Sounds good in theory, but in reality this would just mean half the team going to rugby union or Super League

chrisD

Coach

Daivd Gallop suspended the Storm players pay and made a declaration that they'll be referred to as cheats did he? The dribble is getting out of hand.

Gallop has ensured the 2011 Storm will be a legit team and not an illegally assembled roster with some minor cutting and chopping here and there like the Bulldogs. And he's handed out a punishment that can provide us some reason tp put faith in the salary cap, that if other teams are skirting the salary cap they'll have a long hard think about doing it again next season, that the salary cap is a hard and fast rule and not some "everyone does it" guideline. That's where you get your hope from in all this.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Sounds good in theory, but in reality this would just mean half the team going to rugby union or Super League

So? As we've seen with SBW & Gasnier, no player is bigger than the game.

What was Gallop supposed to do? Go easy on Melbourne because they're in Melbourne? Jeez, wouldn't that make a nice level playing field! He did what he had to - he punished the running sore that currently is the Storm and reinforced to the rest of the comp the seriousness of cheating ('reinforced' because the Dogs already provided the demo as to what happens when you intentionally & deceitfully cheat the cap).

The people blaming Gallop & not the Storm because of the 'zero points in 2010' ruling would be crying foul no matter what occurred. Natural born whingers.

SCoops

Juniors
If Mr Gallop had handed down all of the said punishments with the addition of starting from Zero points or - points from round 7 and playing for points as most in the forum are saying they want. What happens when if they make the finals?

I would say a lot of those saying he is wrong, will be calling for his head.. saying along the lines that he was to "soft" because the team is owned by News.

I can understand the call and I for one am all for it, even if it means we lose to the Storm and we miss out on the top 8 at the pointy end of the season.
I believe DG has made the correct call. There is not a lot you could have done to sort out this mess.

SCoops

Bumble

First Grade
I think he's handled the entire thing very well -which are words I thought I'd never thought I'd associate with David Gallop for any reason.

I've heard a lot of people saying things along the lines of "Strip them from the comps they've won but why can't the play for anything this year?" Which is frankly geniused. Almost 50% of the cap rorting that they did related to this year. Making sure they couldn't compete for the rest of the season is the only thing that absolutely HAD to be done. And, it's not as simple as just allowing them to free up the 700k in their cap and then letting them play as though nothing is wrong (great idea Phil Gould) because they need to be punished. If they hadn't been found out, they'd still be cheating.

So I for one am applauding David Gallop for his actions in the last week. Cheats should be punished, and punished severely.

Bumble

First Grade
I think he's handled the entire thing very well -which are words I thought I'd never thought I'd associate with David Gallop for any reason.

I've heard a lot of people saying things along the lines of "Strip them from the comps they've won but why can't the play for anything this year?" Which is frankly geniused. Almost 50% of the cap rorting that they did related to this year. Making sure they couldn't compete for the rest of the season is the only thing that absolutely HAD to be done. And, it's not as simple as just allowing them to free up the 700k in their cap and then letting them play as though nothing is wrong (great idea Phil Gould) because they need to be punished. If they hadn't been found out, they'd still be cheating.

So I for one am applauding David Gallop for his actions in the last week. Cheats should be punished, and punished severely.

Noa

First Grade
He's the greatest leader of all time. Who else could come up with such a wide-rangeing, important decision in a few hours.

chrisD

Coach
He's the greatest leader of all time. Who else could come up with such a wide-rangeing, important decision in a few hours.

And still not have one better solution put forth by anyone who has had days and days to think it over. I know aye, legend.

Latest posts