What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galvin

Tiger Ted

Bench
The sooner we see Taylan Da Silva come off the Bench to reunite with Lachlan Galvin the better.
That's our future right there imo.
Will probably see more of this duo towards the end of the year.
Can’t believe TDS is playing sg ball this wk when he could b on the bench in our NRL team or at the very least in our nsw cup team.This is a blatant example of misplaced priorities.

Nutz

Bench
He's
Can’t believe TDS is playing sg ball this wk when he could b on the bench in our NRL team or at the very least in our nsw cup team.This is a blatant example of misplaced priorities.
He's been the man amongst kids recently in pathways. He looked better than Simmo.

Tigerm

Coach
The sooner we see Taylan Da Silva come off the Bench to reunite with Lachlan Galvin the better.
That's our future right there imo.
Will probably see more of this duo towards the end of the year.
Unfortunately for TDS, he has arguably the best 9 in the comp in front of him, but what he’ll be learning is gold, but agree he will get his opportunity.

Nutz

Bench
Unfortunately for TDS, he has arguably the best 9 in the comp in front of him, but what he’ll be learning is gold, but agree he will get his opportunity.
Yep that's right.
I suggested somewhere earlier that he'll be a handy bench player later on in the year, but for now he needs to play regularly for the full 80min in pathways rather than 10-20min in NRL or KOE.

Da Silva is playing in SG Ball tomorrow against the Roosters at 1:30 pm in Camden.
He'll be playing with others like Willet and Miller.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yep that's right.
I suggested somewhere earlier that he'll be a handy bench player later on in the year, but for now he needs to play regularly for the full 80min in pathways rather than 10-20min in NRL or KOE.

Da Silva is playing in SG Ball tomorrow against the Roosters at 1:30 pm in Camden.
He'll be playing with others like Willet and Miller.
The finals for junior reps begin in 2 wks so it won’t be long b4 TDS returns to playing KOE or NRL.

Das Hassler

Bench
Solid performance from Galvin, and his interview after the game demonstrated that he is a real humble kid. He obviously sleeps eats and breaths footy.

And he still has the gangly teenager body....hard to believe he wins everything at training...if we had him this week I'd probably have Luia on the bench!.....if he could play 9 !

Tigerm

Coach
Sportswriters on twitter

The Tough Carry: Loving the little things Lachlan is doing​

Tackle 1 is often the toughest carry of the set. It can make or break it. Here, it’s my biggest talking point from the round that was.

Benji Marshall set the table for Lachlan Galvin to start the season in the halves way back in February.

“I don’t care how old you are, how experienced you are, if you earn it through the pre-season you’ll more than likely play.”

He didn’t name Galvin specifically, but unlike most coaches who trot that line out during an NRL preseason, Marshall acted on it. He threw the 18-year-old out there and he’s not looked out of place in his first fortnight as a first grader.

At only 18-years-old, Galvin still has a lot to learn. He got a little bit too excited on 3rd tackle on Saturday night and kicked it dead. His last tackle options, in general, require some work as has grows more accustomed to the speed of the game and begins to process what is in front of him faster.

I’m often loathed to heap too much praise onto a young player. Building up expectations too soon sets young players up to fail in the eyes of the general NRL public. We see it all of the time. But like Isaiya Katoa last year, it’s in the little details that we can be confident of a relatively speedy development process.

Nathan Cleary has spoken himself about how ballplaying isn’t something that comes naturally to him. He’s had to work on it throughout his NRL career and continues to do so as a player who plays his best footy with a run-first approach.

Galvin is a big body and has huge potential as a ball runner, but he seems to have picked up his role in the halves naturally. While he might not always execute, it looks as though he knows what he wants to do. He reads cues well and makes simple, smart plays.

In ‘keeping it simple’ halves can fall in love with simply shovelling the ball on and playing more risk-free than simple. This is a nice play here, though.

The simple option here is to tip the pass onto Justin Olam and clock off. The smart play is to spot the third man late out of the tackle, take the easy metres as the defender moves slowly off his line, and generate a quick play-the-ball that ultimately leaves Aidan Sezer with plenty of time to kick it on the last.

Not long after, Galvin was the one doing the kicking. Again after reading what is in front of him and adjusting on the run.

Galvin sweeps into action with Sezer caught in the tackle. He orders the right edge kick chase and demands the ball before putting up an excellent kick into the opposition corner.

It’s simple, but most of all, he’s displaying his smarts.

The speed of the game has tripped him up a handful of times, but Galvin has adjust well at others. The Tigers like to tip the ball on out of yardage. Galvin will take the ball one-off the ruck and play a short pass to a strong ball-carrier to cart it up the middle.

Having done so a few times already in the first 18 minutes, Galvin adjusted to the defence, held the ball, and put Olam through the line here.

giphy.gif

More simple and smart footy from the youngster.

Galvin hasn’t piled up the counting stats that typically fuel a rookies hype train. He’s yet to score a try, doesn’t break a lot of tackles, and has an error in him. But that’s not what I’m looking for in a rookie half. It’s actions like this…

Untitled-design-3-1.png

Api Koroisau and the Tigers middle do well to create the advantage out wide. By the time the ball gets to Galvin, the four-man in the defensive line is struggling to keep up. Presented with a juicy look on the edge, the young half executes to perfection.

giphy.gif

He straighens his run to sit the three-man while using a lead runner to hold up the defender two in. Getting deep into the line before passing, he fires the ball into the chest of Jahream Bula who is too quick, big and strong for a scrambling Sharks defensive line.

Development isn’t linear in the NRL. The halves, in particular, are positions that take more time and experience to master than most. But where we have seen young players rely on their athletisim early on in their career, Galvin is getting by on his effort and footy IQ.

Shane Richardson likens Galvin to John Sutton from his time at Souths. It’s early days and Sutton is an NRL legend, but the playing style matches up. While he might not be the youngster that becomes popular through highlight reel plays, there’s a good chance I’m ciricling little actions like those above as reasons for him winning Rookie of the Year in a few months time.

Tigerm

Coach
And he still has the gangly teenager body....hard to believe he wins everything at training...if we had him this week I'd probably have Luia on the bench!.....if he could play 9 !
Yeah, it presents a good problem to have, doesn’t it.
I seem to remember that Luai indicated that he was keen on the 7 jersey, so good times ahead.
I guess the only one who will be miffed is Bud at this stage.

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
Twitter chatter:

Diehard fan to outcast: Galvin’s emotional Parramatta reunion​

Lachlan Galvin owned every Parramatta jersey since the day he was born. This Monday, the Wests Tigers’ newest star will have an emotional reunion with the club that rejected his love.
—————
Hope he tears them a new one.

Tigerm

Coach

The Tigers’ newest halves prodigy... and why this ‘fearless’ star is key to Benji’s revolution​

I know it’s way to early in his career, but does anyone not believe he is already showing he will surpass Brooks career, here at WT’s.

Tigerm

Coach
NBWT twitted
18yo Lachie Galvin through 3 NRL games

3 try assists
2 line breaks
2 line break assists
5 offloads
5 tackle breaks
Ave 102 running metres
Ave 23 tackles (1 missed tackle total)
————————-
Obviously very early, but not too shabby for anybody, never mind an 18yo.

Obviously very early, but not too shabby for anybody, never mind an 18yo

Agree Tigerm, would love to see him do some sprint training though, does he just look slow or is he slow? I know you don't have to be Usain Bolt and his football ability is more important but some speed would be great.

I see the idiots on Fox are now saying that the Tigers don't need Luai now ! after 3 games FFS.
No checks there, do they realise that Seizer is only signed for the season? So re-nig on Luai and put 2 18/19 year olds together at 6 & 7 and then they'll be into Benji. Bl00dy idiots. Luai at 7 for me.

Tigerm

Coach
Agree Tigerm, would love to see him do some sprint training though, does he just look slow or is he slow? I know you don't have to be Usain Bolt and his football ability is more important but some speed would be great.

I see the idiots on Fox are now saying that the Tigers don't need Luai now ! after 3 games FFS.
No checks there, do they realise that Seizer is only signed for the season? So re-nig on Luai and put 2 18/19 year olds together at 6 & 7 and then they'll be into Benji. Bl00dy idiots. Luai at 7 for me.
Agree, though if Sezer keeps playing his game, he will be hard to be overlooked for another season.
But that’s why the coaches get the big bucks haha

Tigerm

Coach
NBWT tweeted
"I don't go out there looking for it but sometimes it has to happen. I have a young half [Galvin] with me and I do my best to protect him, I don't want them to bully him because he's a good kid,"
——————-
Re: Olam on Galvin.
Not a bad bodyguard hahaha

NBWT tweeted
"I don't go out there looking for it but sometimes it has to happen. I have a young half [Galvin] with me and I do my best to protect him, I don't want them to bully him because he's a good kid,"
——————-
Note to self: next time I'm heading to Port Moresby, call Olam.

Nutz

Bench
NBWT tweeted
——————-
As long as he doesn't start feeding Lachlan betel nut.